Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810399 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18315 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:00 pm »

I normally turn all AI off but set difficult to 500%. When I finally decide I'm happy with my level of expansion and research (usually T3 to T5 with 20-30 systems explored and at least one colonised in addition to my starting system) I can just turn on whoever I want. No need to worry about unnecessary slowdowns or losing Earth right after finding an intact city on a 100% m/k world, but still plenty of challenge.

I also recently discovered that the AI can and does assault Earth. In every game I'd played before that one, they never jumped into Sol. This time, they plowed through my absolutely pathetic attempt at a defensive line, obliterated my PDC on the moon, and conquered Earth, all in less than an hour. They weren't even at my normal difficulty, I think I had those ones set to 300%.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18316 on: September 28, 2016, 03:05:19 pm »

Keep in mind that the difficulty setting, as far as I've ever been able to tell, doesn't affect NPR behavior, just their material advantages. The most visible difference is the number of ships they have when you first generate them; 1000% tends to throw up scores or triple-digit numbers of warships as their starting OOB -- I usually don't have good enough sensor coverage to get an accurate count before production pollutes it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18317 on: January 08, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »

I've been trying to register an account on the Aurora forums but it never gets admin approval. Obviously, I can't post in the issues thread on there since I don't have an approved account to log in with.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18318 on: January 08, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »

Likely Steve just hasn't been on the official forums for a while, IIRC he approves them all himself.

3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18319 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:27 pm »

Likely Steve just hasn't been on the official forums for a while, IIRC he approves them all himself.

I thought there were admins that approved them as well? At least, that was the impression I got when forum mods and the like were approving peoples' registrations in the issues thread. Also, he's been posting as recently as today. In fact, he released another set of screenshots a little over an hour ago.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18320 on: January 09, 2017, 04:37:44 am »

well we got just news  http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8455.msg100107#msg100107

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18321 on: January 09, 2017, 05:18:18 am »

those new screenshots are very well done, sounds like steve is making steady progress

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18322 on: January 09, 2017, 05:20:10 am »

those new screenshots are very well done, sounds like steve is making steady progress

I'm kinda disoriented from the blueness of it all, but I guess can get used to it. Most importantly the C# port should fix all the decimal modifier issues and be spades faster. Let's hope that at least holds true, because most my games were killed by 5-sec turn sluggishness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18323 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:25 am »

Yeah, I found that slowness a killer too.

The new interface is kinda even blander than the existing one IMO, blue forever as far as eyes can see
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18324 on: January 09, 2017, 05:59:53 am »

More blue than a song by Eiffel 65.  Yellow-on-blue everywhere feels like a good way to get eye strain, I fear.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18325 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:48 am »

I am playing around with colour themes. Here is an example of a black and white theme instead of the default dark blue / pale yellow. For now I just wanted to check how easy this was but I will add full functionality for different colour themes before release

Thankfully.

3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18326 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:38 am »

Yeah, when it's released in C# it'll be pretty trivial to change the colour scheme I should think - he'd basically just need to bounce the values to variables set from a settings file which could be altered by anyone. It'll also allow different fonts and the like.

I'm extremely excited for this, Aurora makes me incredibly annoyed and I can't play it any more - I can't bare playing a game knowing that within a certain amount of time it's just going to slow to a halt. It's also the same time it starts getting really fun as well.

For anyone who hasn't been keeping up with all of it - he looks to have a lot of it done so far and hopes to have a basic alpha (probably just for him) ready in 2-3 months.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18327 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:48 am »

Funny, I was just wondering how Aurora was going.  The C# progress is exciting, for sure, but how has it been for the other progress update, like with titans and lances?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18328 on: January 09, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »

I've been waiting for the C# release to try a serious game of this. Very cool if we're actually able to change the backgrounds.
the other progress update, like with titans and lances?
Is that something that's making it into the C# release? Or is it something he could easily port over?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18329 on: January 10, 2017, 02:24:35 am »

Something he'll probably get to before releasing the C# version, as it was in the version he was playing before starting the project.
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 1347