Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809938 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18045 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:44 pm »

Does the "max squadron size" include the jump ship itself?
I would think it does, but its worth testing nonetheless.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: May 14, 2016, 12:21:19 am »

Does the "max squadron size" include the jump ship itself?
I would think it does, but its worth testing nonetheless.
I seem to recall that being the case, but I haven't needed to squadron-jump anything for a while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:59 am »

Personally, I found the jump engines annoying to work with. The engine itself increases your ship weight, possibly putting it over its own engine's capacity, so you gotta sit there and actually work out how large it needs to be, and I'm no fan of math. So, I just turned on the "All jump points have jump gates" thing so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: May 14, 2016, 01:38:21 pm »

Just decide on a ship size (which you usually have to anyways to fit into shipyards), fit a drive rated to that size first thing and proceed to design normally.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: May 14, 2016, 02:00:04 pm »

Just decide on a ship size (which you usually have to anyways to fit into shipyards), fit a drive rated to that size first thing and proceed to design normally.

The problem is that I don't limit myself too much when it comes to ship size. I just throw stuff on until I think it looks good, then I ship off the plans to be built in my shipyards which I set "Continual capacity expansion" on since the beginning of the game. By the time I'm making warships, I usually have about 4 shipyards with capacities over 80,000, and I don't build very large warships.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18050 on: May 14, 2016, 03:02:01 pm »

The problem is that I don't limit myself too much when it comes to ship size. I just throw stuff on until I think it looks good, then I ship off the plans to be built in my shipyards which I set "Continual capacity expansion" on since the beginning of the game. By the time I'm making warships, I usually have about 4 shipyards with capacities over 80,000, and I don't build very large warships.
Worth noting that building shipyards over capacity are a bit of drain on wealth and resources that could've been used for slipways or the like.
That said, that's sort of the thing that happens when you don't decide on standardized function or size band of your vessels. It's like designing missiles before you've even made up your mind about their size, which means that you'll have to design the missile launchers and figure which ships are good to use them after the fact.
Either way, i just put the military jump engines on commercial vessels anyway, and use them as tankers.
If i'm planning to use it for jump assault, though, it'd probably make a good design to instead load it with a bunch of armor and CIWS instead. Still commercial.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:05:43 pm by iceball3 »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18051 on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:44 pm »

This may sound pretty mundane for most of you, but I'm playing my first real game and I just encountered aliums =3 I hope they're friendly... some red circles appeared and it says active sensors detected. I'm not feeling too good about this. Next 5 seconds, I told my ship to run back to the jump point (he's unarmed). The alium was pretty much on top of his ship, and it looks like they just moved in completely opposite directions... nope, I got exploded =(

I was not expecting to have neighbors so close by. This should be interesting since I've been neglecting my weapons research...

E: Is it true that a commercial jump drive can't jump a ship that uses military engines?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:25:13 pm by OzyTheSage »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18052 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:01 pm »

I believe thats correct yes, they cant jump them.

Start making missile bases immediately.  They will probably wipe you if they find your homeworld undefended.  Just do whatever you need to do to get small bases with sensors, magazines, launchers and fire control.  Dont worry about armor.  Once those are under construction get a missile designed for them and start producing.  If the aliens show up at home then blow them to hell as soon as they are in range.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18053 on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:43 pm »

Alternatively, if you have anything in the way of energy weapons crank out a single turret design, and churn out a bunch of ships armed with nothing but a turret, a reactor, fire control, sensors (both FC and sensors can be essentially anti-missile grade) and one engine. Park as many of those as you can build on the jump point between you and them, and you've got a good chance of of tearing any hostiles apart as they jump in.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18054 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

Man, I really wish when designing missile the fuel/hour was in seconds instead of hours...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »

Ok I made a couple naval ships that are pretty big (about 15,000 ton Lexington class for the 'flagship' and two 10,000 ton Spruance class) and have them parked on Terra. My Spruance class ships don't run up their maintenance clock at all while my Lexington keeps having mechanical failures. When I try to overhaul it says "Lexington cannot continue wth[sic] her overhaul as there is no maintenance facility of sufficient size." Trying to find the solution on the Aurora Reddit reveals that I have to build giant hangar PDCs to park my ships inside of to avoid maintenance costs. I would've thought that building more 'Maintenance Facility' installations would do the job, but how many tons does a single maintenance facility support or how many do I actually need for the Lexington, and is that even how it works for that matter?

Someone else suggested using industry to build 'Maintenance Supplies' but he was very vague about it. I built 100 anyways but I suspect it won't help. My planet states that I have 25,992 maintenance supplies on the planet anyways.

On a side note I'm starting to suspect that the aliens I encountered were precurors, as I haven't seen any try to come at me.

E: Is there a hotkey to disable auto turns?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:56:19 pm by OzyTheSage »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18056 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:00 pm »

Each maint facility can maintain 250t iirc, so you'd need 60 of them for the big ship.
The other ships are maintained by the facility, which is why the clock doesn't tick. The big one isn't, like if you were flying around. The supplies are for the ships themselves, they can load them to repair damaged items as they break, or, for double cost, later in the damage control tab of the individual ships screen.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18057 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:59 pm »

Ok thanks, I had 65 maintenance facilities, so I just moved the Spruance classes to hang out at Luna while the Lexington does its overhaul. So I would need 140 maint. facilities to keep up with all three ships?

E: oops, i'm still getting the error, huhm..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:10:41 pm by OzyTheSage »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18058 on: May 17, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »

No, its actually kinda cheesy right now.  Number of facilities determines max size, after that you can have as many ships of that size as you want.

e:  Also the capacity is 200 tons, that is probably where your error is coming from.  You need 75 facilities.  Your population summary window should tell you the max size of ship you can support.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:17:28 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:12 pm »

Oh I see that now, they arranged things so unintuitively, but that's good to know.
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1347