Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 [1200] 1201 1202 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810076 times)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17985 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:25 pm »

With this missile design I would reduce your fuel amount to one tenth its current value and use the freed up mass on manoeuvre rating (or split it depending on your engine and manoeuvre rating techs, but I can't remember the formula for that at the moment). But yes you can fire AMMs in salvos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17986 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:17 pm »

You definitely want better CTH than that. Of course, it looks like your tech is pretty low, so you might not be able to manage much better for the time being. But definitely cut the range down to ~5m km tops; you don't really need lengthy intercept envelopes unless for some reason your AMM launchers have really shit reload times. Dropping that fuel weight will give you room for a better drive and more agility.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17987 on: March 17, 2016, 11:03:59 pm »

Depends on your current tech level and your target's tech level. Best design choices in vacuum is to design something good enough to counteract your best available tech.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17988 on: March 18, 2016, 03:42:01 am »

How useful would ships with 5-10 Hi-Powered Microwaves be when paired with dropship fighters? Use the HPM to disable the ship then board and capture.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17989 on: March 18, 2016, 04:41:42 am »

How useful would ships with 5-10 Hi-Powered Microwaves be when paired with dropship fighters? Use the HPM to disable the ship then board and capture.
They can be quite effective, I frequently use the when I'm going for games focusing on boarding. You will generally want to accompany them with some PD vessels though to let them survive to reach range.

One thing to bear in mind though compared to using regular weapons to soften up a ship for boarding, you won't be causing any damage to the enemies engines so will have to board at the enemies full speed. Also you won't be burning a hole through the armour belt, so your landed forces will have to make their own entry.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17990 on: March 18, 2016, 05:04:04 am »

Is there any way to specifically target an enemy's engine?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17991 on: March 18, 2016, 06:04:16 am »

I just use gauss turrets, and sandpaper my way through the enemy armor. Occasionally blow up the enemy ship, but most of the time I can take down at least half their engines.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17992 on: March 18, 2016, 06:44:29 am »

No, no weapons specifically target engines. On the other hand engines usually account for a fair proportion of the DAC on many designs, so have a good chance of getting hit once you are actually causing internal damage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17993 on: March 18, 2016, 08:34:30 am »

Hence, mesons. I use a mix of HPM and mesons for my "disabler" ships.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17994 on: March 19, 2016, 09:11:06 pm »

Yeah, with the location-dependent research bonuses there's definitely incentive to spread your labs around.

How so?  I know that scientists change research bonuses, but I hadn't heard of research bonuses affected by location.  Please tell me more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17995 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:29 pm »

Yeah, with the location-dependent research bonuses there's definitely incentive to spread your labs around.

How so?  I know that scientists change research bonuses, but I hadn't heard of research bonuses affected by location.  Please tell me more.
A while back Steve added anomalies which occasionally appear on system bodies, granting bonuses to a research of a specific category conducted there. They're not particularly common, though; in my current campaign I've got ~40 fully-surveyed systems, but only two such anomalies. One gives !I think +40% to E/KW research, the other... maybe Biology?

Basically IIRC it was intended to help encourage people to not just build a stack of 250 labs on their homeworld and leave them all there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17996 on: March 19, 2016, 10:48:31 pm »

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17997 on: March 26, 2016, 09:28:51 am »

Is their a max size for ships/orbital platforms that would keep them from using a jump gate. I know that their is a max when using jump ships to jump them?

Also is their a butter zone for stacking multiple orbital platform modules for something like a terraforming/fuel harvester base?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17998 on: March 26, 2016, 04:56:17 pm »

Is their a max size for ships/orbital platforms that would keep them from using a jump gate. I know that their is a max when using jump ships to jump them?
No, Jumpgates have no limits on the size of ships that can use them.

Also is their a butter zone for stacking multiple orbital platform modules for something like a terraforming/fuel harvester base?
Not quite sure what you are asking here, If you mean, is there a limit to how many ships can be in a single location? Then no there is no limit. Several ship modules require the ship containing them to be located at a colony to function, though the 'colony' doesn't actually need to have anything on it itself. Some of these such as maintenance modules are getting altered in the next version to function away from colonies.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17999 on: March 26, 2016, 09:26:31 pm »

basically what I was asking is their a good rule of thumb for the number of orbital modules on an avg orbital station that actually designed to stay in orbit of a body for long periods of time to help kick start or offset production for example. sending a massive orbital platform that has enough modules to support 5 million pop to a gas planet to kickstart mining/pop while slowly terraforming a Venus class planet. Another example which I am not sure would work would be the same thing but in orbit of a gas giant with fuel refineries and mines being brought over to help get around the hard cap on number of sorium harvesters?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.
Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 [1200] 1201 1202 ... 1347