Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1190 1191 [1192] 1193 1194 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810414 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17865 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:12 pm »

Context: the local aliens seem to use missiles exclusively, so I'm building scouts they physically cannot hit except with point-defense Fire.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17866 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »

You should give that ship a single reduced-size laser.  Do some force recon.  Identify what lacks point defense, and go poke them.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17867 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:24 am »

How are you getting it to the front?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17868 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:59 am »

I don't think he's ever said that his game was meant to resolve instantly, simply that he enjoys his game enough that he doesn't mind it, and is using the time productively. :P

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17869 on: March 09, 2016, 09:06:22 am »

Okay.

I have started playing this game since I finally have a monitor that has the proper resolution.

May I say--this is the most obtuse, complicated, messy, impossible to decipher game I have ever played?  There's no help.  There's no context.  There's no manual.

I think I have a new obsession.  I WILL master this game!

But first I need to get of the Armok-damned planet.  I started by increasing my mining and construction capacity, and researching construction infrastructure.  At that point, I also wanted to create a geo-survey ship.  In doing so, I got. . . confused about how to build ships.  In particular, I had to research and design engines.  Then assign to a ship yard.  My three ships got stuck at 44% completion due to running out of one type of metal.

So.  Fun?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17870 on: March 09, 2016, 10:06:25 am »

Fun.

Instead of building mines and such, check your planet for "conventional infrastructure" which can be turned into mines and factories much cheaper.
Flying it directly where I have a jumpgate. It has an 8 billion range which is enough to tanker-hop in my small empire. When I drop it into hostile systems it gets carried by one of my Fleet Jump Vessels, an innovation derived from realising right after attacking the local aliens that none of my warships above missile ion destroyers were jump-capable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17871 on: March 09, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »

Fun.

Instead of building mines and such, check your planet for "conventional infrastructure" which can be turned into mines and factories much cheaper.
Flying it directly where I have a jumpgate. It has an 8 billion range which is enough to tanker-hop in my small empire. When I drop it into hostile systems it gets carried by one of my Fleet Jump Vessels, an innovation derived from realising right after attacking the local aliens that none of my warships above missile ion destroyers were jump-capable.

I think RAM meant "How are you getting it to the front without it falling apart?"  Fuel isn't as big a concern as the components constantly breaking down.  Even during its Scouting run, you're probably going to be getting "so and so part broke" messages.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17872 on: March 09, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »

My current play through is with maintenance disabled because I found it to be such a horrendous micromanagement spammy waste of time the first two games.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17873 on: March 09, 2016, 08:12:28 pm »

My current play through is with maintenance disabled because I found it to be such a horrendous micromanagement spammy waste of time the first two games.

And while that isn't inaccurate, you made a ship which is proof that maintenance is required for a half-way balanced game.

Ugh. Can't wait until the next update.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17874 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »

Yeah. Like. I play with maintenance off because it's a pain to actively micromanage, but I still build ships, rotate them, and distribute infrastructure as if it were on.

Sorta wish there was a way to restrict NPR teching. I want to play a low-tech game with strict research limits (say, a civ cap of 100 project RP per decade per category but unlimited research for ship components, and an overall researched tech base cap at ~TL3, i.e. around Ion drive and equivalent for the main-line techs like drives, missile damage, the construction tech rates, &c., but unlimited for the ancillary techs like power bonuses, launcher/laser size reduction, &c.

Start with conventional tech, have it take centuries to get to the normal tech cap, and after that the only way to advance farther is to manage to salvage/capture Precursor and Invader ships and reverse-engineer their components. If you get far enough, you'll hit their tech, but that's the ultimate hard cap. Basically remove that exponential scaling effectiveness where past a certain point almost all research and construction is near-instant and your tech is well beyond everything else. Make every pocket of Precursor activity a serious threat at any point in the game. Get into fights with 1000% difficulty NPRs where it's superior tactics and strategic positioning that win rather than high tech. Have everything stay at that low-ish TL where there's still a strong sense of adventure and danger in sending ships off into the void. Have navies that have to be composed of a bunch of low-tech ships in order to increase effectiveness because you can't increase efficiency beyond a certain point.

Give it more of a Freespace/Battletech feel, I guess you could say.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #17875 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »

If you had access to the database password you could probably go into the TechSystem table and change the cost of the research you want to limit to be far more expensive.

Not sure if Steve still gives that access out though. I got it from him years ago. Wouldn't hurt to ask though, if that's something you're wanting to do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:41:05 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17876 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:14 am »

Fun.

I tried again last night.  I successfully built a survey ship-I think.  I want to sent it to survey the moon, and inner planets.  Why doesn't it show up on the Sol System map?  I have no idea if it's gone, or what.

Urgh.  I have the potential to love this game.  I've largely figured out DF, with the help of the Wiki, but this is crazy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17877 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:57 am »

Fun.

I tried again last night.  I successfully built a survey ship-I think.  I want to sent it to survey the moon, and inner planets.  Why doesn't it show up on the Sol System map?  I have no idea if it's gone, or what.

Urgh.  I have the potential to love this game.  I've largely figured out DF, with the help of the Wiki, but this is crazy.

It's a lot harder to brute-force learn your way through than DF, that's for sure.  No idea where your survey vessel is ( have the shipyards finished it yet? This can take a year or two).

EnterElysiums video tutorials are a good leg-up, I especially recommend episodes 2-5

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17878 on: March 10, 2016, 10:24:27 am »

According to the shipyards, its done.  Maybe  I will check out a video or two.

The Wiki has some info, but not a lot.  Nothing detailed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17879 on: March 10, 2016, 03:28:15 pm »

According to the shipyards, its done.  Maybe  I will check out a video or two.

The Wiki has some info, but not a lot.  Nothing detailed.

It is probably in the Shipyard's fleet.  Assuming a standard start, the shipyard comes with a fleet that it dumps all newly built ships into.

You'll want to transfer your new ship into a new fleet, or you'll be left without a fleet to dump new ships into.  You can work around that, but it's a hassle at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 1190 1191 [1192] 1193 1194 ... 1347