Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810476 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17850 on: February 29, 2016, 10:20:58 am »

Yeah, you drop colonists on every habitable rock you find. That's how you increase your production of dank memes and stop the ayy lmaos from colonizing in your territory.

Oddly enough it's posts like this that made me want to play this. I mean, the sweet detail stories helped, but mostly it was this stuff. ayy/10

Don't forget to drop a ship load of soldiers with them to stop the whining about trivial things like "starvation" and "overpopulation"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17851 on: February 29, 2016, 01:59:42 pm »

I was playing with the missile design window and noticed that I could put some Geo sensors onto my missiles. Are their many useful situations that Geo probes would be better then a throw-away geosurvey ship? And I thought that a Geosurvey team's score just affected the rate that they search the body for minerals?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17852 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:48 pm »

I was playing with the missile design window and noticed that I could put some Geo sensors onto my missiles. Are their many useful situations that Geo probes would be better then a throw-away geosurvey ship? And I thought that a Geosurvey team's score just affected the rate that they search the body for minerals?
Yeah sending probes instead of slower geoship ( low tech level ) to a perfect score colony ( wich most often mean a bad ass NPR lives there with weapons and ship ready to eat your face, or precusor ).

This way you can scan from afar and judge if you want the system and risk armed conflict or just move away.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17853 on: February 29, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »

It scans for minerals, the same as a ship.  Your geo TEAM is sent in afterwards to do an in-depth analysis and pinpoint every last bit of ore.  Probes are perfectly fine for orbital scanning.  There's guides for how to do it, even.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17854 on: February 29, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »

Yeah sending probes instead of slower geoship ( low tech level ) to a perfect score colony ( wich most often mean a bad ass NPR lives there with weapons and ship ready to eat your face, or precusor ).

This way you can scan from afar and judge if you want the system and risk armed conflict or just move away.
I considered it as a low-tech means of surveying stuff before you want to invest any resources in building up ships, but this is actually a really good idea!
I think i should pair up on those investigative buoy launches, for use alongside my active sensor long range buoy. Thanks!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17855 on: March 06, 2016, 03:18:01 am »

Steve posted an interesting tidbit in his campaign update thread

2) I finally started C# Aurora :). This is a very long-term project but it occurred to me that rather than reading while the turns were processing, I could be programming. The problem has always been that I didn't think I could maintain enthusiasm for such a large project, especially when I could be playing or working on VB6 Aurora instead. However, doing it this way allows me to rewrite in C# without actually giving up playing time. The downside is that is will take a long time and I might never get there :) but at least I finally started.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17856 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:11 am »

2) I finally started C# Aurora :). This is a very long-term project but it occurred to me that rather than reading while the turns were processing, I could be programming. The problem has always been that I didn't think I could maintain enthusiasm for such a large project, especially when I could be playing or working on VB6 Aurora instead. However, doing it this way allows me to rewrite in C# without actually giving up playing time. The downside is that is will take a long time and I might never get there :) but at least I finally started.
Hmm, I wonder how much inspiration he'll get from or work he'll contribute to the Pulsar 4x project, also written in C#. Maybe he'll lift some code from it, even?

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17857 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:18 pm »

What exactly happens to the population in an orbital habitat when it gets moved via tug/engines.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17858 on: March 08, 2016, 02:29:39 am »

I'm guessing they're placed on the planet's surface and start suffocating due to lack of infrastructure to support them.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17859 on: March 08, 2016, 04:35:40 am »

I wasn't sure if the population was linked to the habitat or the celestial body, but it would make sense that it would treat the orbital habitat as infrastructure as supposed anything else.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17860 on: March 08, 2016, 10:58:15 am »

Hmm, I wonder how much inspiration he'll get from or work he'll contribute to the Pulsar 4x project, also written in C#. Maybe he'll lift some code from it, even?
I think it's hilarious that the maker of Aurora is admitting that the turn resolution on his game is soo long that he can code another game while it resolves.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17861 on: March 08, 2016, 11:03:25 am »

Aw, thats amusing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17862 on: March 08, 2016, 05:18:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
Upholder MK 2 - Copy class Scout    18 100 tons     154 Crew     18384.7 BP      TCS 362  TH 36000  EM 0
99447 km/s     Armour 1-61     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 159    AFR 10483%    IFR 145.6%    1YR 265940    5YR 3989097    Max Repair 3000 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 7   

SpeedFreek 6000 EP Solid Core AM Drive (6)    Power 6000    Fuel Use 233.83%    Signature 6000    Exp 30%
Fuel Capacity 2 250 000 Litres    Range 9.6 billion km   (26 hours at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR8-R84 (1)     GPS 1344     Range 8.8m km    Resolution 84

ECM 10

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

LEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17863 on: March 08, 2016, 06:14:33 pm »

Geezzzz..... thats .3c i didnt know you could go that fast.. XD The AFR and maintenance life tells me it will break up as it fire its engines haha.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17864 on: March 08, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »

You can get things going to 299000km/s
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1347