Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810819 times)

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17745 on: February 14, 2016, 06:09:47 am »

"ground combat isn't really that important"

Its a joke right ??

Ground combat is very important, it makes a difference between having a ripe useful planet full of workers and soldiers, instalations and minerals vs empty radioactive rock that won't be useful for the next six centuries..
Yeah, ground invasion of a fully developed planet is a logistical nightmare but thats the nature of warfare after all - its not Master of Orion with its "click the button to get planet" bullshit.

As for Titans - another reason to be hyped as fuck, beside merging populations, structural shells and bigger orbital habitats.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:01:59 am by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17746 on: February 14, 2016, 06:44:54 am »

Ok, I wasn't clear. Ground combat is important, but it's very bare-bone of the game in that there is no tactic or design involved at all, which are the major game point. Build troops, land them, profit. It's not a major part of the game, and adding more ground units doesn't really change that. Making it so that titans are closer to ships, with variable weapons you need to design and the capacity to be boarded and taken over by marines... That would be nice.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17747 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:18 am »

Interesting. With the lack of ability to use combat drop modules, You will need to be able to secure the orbitals for likely several hours to unload the Titans from your bulk landers. You'd also need to take out any meson armed PDC's the enemy may have deployed, before commencing landing operations.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17748 on: February 14, 2016, 12:51:41 pm »

Interesting. With the lack of ability to use combat drop modules, You will need to be able to secure the orbitals for likely several hours to unload the Titans from your bulk landers. You'd also need to take out any meson armed PDC's the enemy may have deployed, before commencing landing operations.

Clearing anything before charging in head first ? Thats a heresy !! Emperor is very dissapointent in you.
Go in hot or stay home.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17749 on: February 14, 2016, 01:48:22 pm »

METAL BAWKSES &c. &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17750 on: February 14, 2016, 02:18:01 pm »

Dafuggg ??

One system, one colony cost 0 planet - three races ... WTF.

Same species, different flag, each neutral at start..

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17751 on: February 14, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »

fuck yeah philly represent

But seriously anyone got a response about those Ayyy POWs on Venus?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17752 on: February 14, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »

AUSTRALIAN themed PHILADELPHIA Aliens
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17753 on: February 14, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »

AUSTRALIAN themed PHILADELPHIA Aliens

Correction - Australlian, Animal and Ancient Egypt themed Philadelphia Aliens :D

Only on had been contacted so far - im starting to suspect some kind of bug.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17754 on: February 14, 2016, 03:37:54 pm »

Maybe meant to be a race that isnt unified yet?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17755 on: February 14, 2016, 03:38:16 pm »

Clearing anything before charging in head first ? Thats a heresy !! Emperor is very dissapointent in you.
Go in hot or stay home.
Without prodigious use of armor, point defense, internal redundancy, internal armor, external redundancy, and those components which speed loading and unloading, you're going to have a really bad time trying to land something on a PDC protected planet.
Think like so: the enemy can have an almost arbitrary quantity of meson-armed PDCs pointed at your ships. Ships which is usually not arbitrary in their internal redundancy or quantity.
The only way to avoid this is using larger orbital ranges in your order modifier, possibly, but I've not checked if it works yet. Is it possible to deploy troops at 200,000 km orbit?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17756 on: February 14, 2016, 03:50:50 pm »

The issue with that is that it's purely theoretical, accounting for human opponents. Most NPRs will have, if anything, OWPs and a big blob of ground forces. I honestly can't think of the last time I've seen a homeworld with PDCs, never mind meson-armed ones. And if they do have something like that, a homeworld can take a dozen or two missiles when you stomp them.

3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17757 on: February 14, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »

The issue with that is that it's purely theoretical, accounting for human opponents. Most NPRs will have, if anything, OWPs and a big blob of ground forces. I honestly can't think of the last time I've seen a homeworld with PDCs, never mind meson-armed ones. And if they do have something like that, a homeworld can take a dozen or two missiles when you stomp them.
The lack of meson PDCs would be more of a statement of an NPR's incapability, rather than of the ground unit's viability on the game mechanics itself, though.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17758 on: February 14, 2016, 04:12:57 pm »

Maybe meant to be a race that isnt unified yet?
God i hope not, seeing as each one of those population TH/EM outputs is equal to mine.. And frankly i never have seen something like that in the four years i played Aurora..

Without prodigious use of armor, point defense, internal redundancy, internal armor, external redundancy, and those components which speed loading and unloading, you're going to have a really bad time trying to land something on a PDC protected planet.
Think like so: the enemy can have an almost arbitrary quantity of meson-armed PDCs pointed at your ships. Ships which is usually not arbitrary in their internal redundancy or quantity.
The only way to avoid this is using larger orbital ranges in your order modifier, possibly, but I've not checked if it works yet. Is it possible to deploy troops at 200,000 km orbit?
Bloody defeatist heretic.... BLAM !

Maybe we should have special Titan combat drop module ??

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17759 on: February 14, 2016, 04:20:55 pm »

The lack of meson PDCs would be more of a statement of an NPR's incapability, rather than of the ground unit's viability on the game mechanics itself, though.
Eh. That'd be a sound argument in a multiplayer game where there was an appreciable metagame above and beyond stuff dictated by raw statistics. In Aurora, if you're going to optimize yourself, all that really matters are the raw statistical facts about what is most effective in a given role. Planning and theorycrafting for a single unlikely least-optimal enemy force can be fun, but it's not something to base your design philosophy on. That's, again, more of a thing with common, known factors, like the tonnage and speed of Swarm soldiers being in the forefront of your mind when designing sensors.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 1347