Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810875 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17730 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »

You can also SM in a population 0 race called "Space pirates", then Fast OOB some ship designs for them and order them to attack your civvies for their fat loot, then take them down for Great Justice.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17731 on: February 13, 2016, 04:30:01 pm »

You can also SM in a population 0 race called "Space pirates", then Fast OOB some ship designs for them and order them to attack your civvies for their fat loot, then take them down for Great Justice.
In Newman's terms?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: February 13, 2016, 04:42:14 pm »

In Newman's terms?
Make new player-controlled race. Add some ships for them with Fast OOB. Blow up your main empire's civilian shipping. Delete/destroy the ships you SM'd in.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: February 13, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

WE BATTLETECH NOW LADS

Quote from: Steve re: 7.2
Titans

A new type of ground unit will be introduced in v7.2 - the Titan. Titans are huge combat walkers from WH40k, BattleTech, etc.,

In Aurora, they serve as powerful ground combat units with a special bombardment ability and defensive advantages. Below is the current state of the rules (which may change after play test):

1) Titans are created in a new type of planetary installation - the Titan Construction Yard. The TCY is 10,000 RP, 2400 BP (240 Duranium, 2160 Corbomite) and produces 200 BP per year. The TCY becomes available once Assault Infantry is researched. They can be recovered in ruins (although rarely). Titans are constructed like other ground combat units using the same tab in the production window. Titan Construction Yards and Ground Force Training Facilities are shown in the same list (like naval and commercial shipyards).

2) Titans are transported in the Titan Bay, a special type of module for ships similar to a troop transport bay. Titans cannot use troop transport bays and normal ground units cannot use Titan Bays. Movement orders for embarking and disembarking Titans work in the same way as orders for embarking and disembarking ground troops. Titans cannot use combat drop modules. The Titan Bay is 5000 RP and can be researched once you have Titan Construction Yards and troop transport bays. Cost: 100 BP (10 Duranium, 90 Corbomite) , Size 100 HS, 25 Crew. Commercial System. Can hold 3 units of Titans.

3) Titans act as normal ground combat units with attack and defence strengths and take part in normal combat resolution.

4) They have Hit Points instead of readiness but these are equivalent in combat. Titans may have more than 100 HPs (ground forces always have 100 readiness)

5) Titans do not recover hit points in the same way that ground units recover readiness. Instead they are automatically repaired in Titan Bays using maintenance supplies at a rate of 1 HP per day (1 HP costs 1 MSP), as long as MSP are available.

6) Titans are unaffected by Morale

7 In normal ground combat, Titans have a lower chance to be damaged. This is similar to HQ units, which have only 50% of the normal chance of damage. The lower chance of damage will vary by Titan.

8) After each round of ground combat, Titans will bombard the enemy (calculated before combat and resolved afterwards). This is effectively a free attack and does not consider attack vs. defence odds. The target is determined randomly but all enemy Titans will be attacked before any normal ground units. The bombardment attack inflicts random readiness damage (or HP damage) between 1 and double the Titans attack strength rating. Bombardment attacks cause collateral damage.

9) The Titan's lower chance of damage modifier does not apply during bombardment attacks. In effect, the bombardment attack represents the Titan's "Big Guns" while its participation in normal combat represents its secondary armament and attempts by enemy ground forces to destroy it.

10) The first Titans in the game are as follows (more will be added at some point, including command Titans to serve as HQs):

Warhound Titan: 10,000 RP, 200 BP, 100 HP, Attack/Defence: 1 * Racial Ground Combat Strength, 0.75 x Chance of Damage, Size 1
Reaver Titan: 20,000 RP, 360 BP, 200 HP, Attack/Defence: 2 * Racial Ground Combat Strength, 0.50 x Chance of Damage, Size 2
Warlord Titan: 50,000 RP, 500 BP, 300 HP, Attack/Defence: 3 * Racial Ground Combat Strength, 0.25 x Chance of Damage, Size 3

Titan production requires 20% Duranium and 80% Corbomite.

The first Titan (Warhound) become available after Assault Infantry
The second Titan (Reaver) requires Heavy Assault and the Warhound as prerequisites.
The third Titan (Warlord) requires the Reaver as a prerequisite.

As with normal ground units, you can name individual Titans and rename the overall classes of Titans.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17734 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:42 pm »

WE BATTLETECH NOW LADS

Titans
*snip*

Wait what is 7.2 out now?

nope
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:16:47 pm by coleslaw35 »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: February 13, 2016, 10:18:16 pm »

Nope.  Steve normally posts change logs in advance on the official forums in the Mechanics subforum.  This is the thread for the v7.20 changes.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17736 on: February 14, 2016, 01:14:45 am »

Yeah, he says he wants to test this for a while.  Also, apparently there are still a few more things he wants to add.  (he mentioned he wanted to make 'several' additional major changes shortly before he mentioned the titans in the changelog)
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: February 14, 2016, 02:36:14 am »

WE BATTLETECH NOW LADS

Titans
*snip*

Metal Gear?
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: February 14, 2016, 02:43:21 am »

Anyway, Titans aren't a major change, they're just a new flavour of ground units.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17739 on: February 14, 2016, 02:56:27 am »

They're a pretty big change to the ground combat system, extra attacks, seperate construction system, seperate repair mechanic, etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: February 14, 2016, 03:13:55 am »

So they're a duplicate of the existing combat system with an extra attacks. Given the logisitical nightmare of needing two different kinds of transport bays and the fact that ground combat isn't really that important, no one is going to use them apart from RP reasons anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: February 14, 2016, 03:41:23 am »

I'm kinda wondering if you are just saying that to be a downer.  I use ground combat whenever I can, because those delicious installations and people are extremely valuable.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: February 14, 2016, 03:44:37 am »

...different styles for different people. You can glass every alien population you come across, and I can invade and conquer every alien population I come across.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17743 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:18 am »

I tend to try to capture enemy ships with my IDTs, who fly virtually point blank and shoot the enemy ships with a 1-damage laser before combat dropping the marine companies onto the ships. Worst damage I took was when my 27 of my 50 IDTs were lazed out of the sky by 5 ships, before taking said ships with the marines. I tend to use TIE fighters first against capital ships, usually with large losses on my side (150 / 200 TIE fighters) before using the remaining amount as a screen to cover my IDT approach.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: February 14, 2016, 05:38:32 am »

Yes, whether or not titans can board ships is a big question for me... I mean, true, the answer is obvious, but it is a fun idea...

It sounds sort of interesting to me, like a heavy-artillery sort of thing. lots of collateral damage, a big sort of titan versus titan opening battle and then once the titans are down the ground forces have to deal with being bombarded directly. Basically, it sounds like a half-way point between glassing the planet and landing troops. "Landing glass" if you will... If you don't want to deal with infantry, then they should be easier, basically working more like fighters than infantry, but with the ability to repair their armour, and if you really want to explore ground combat(which could become more important in the future, perhaps hefty unrest penalties for settling on a world that is covered in unexploded ordnance and people parts? Planetary shields that can burn fuel to negate damage? The A.I. developing a taste for spamming interstellar M.I.R.V. missile P.D.C.s?) Can do the whole multi-stage combat thing.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1347