Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810983 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17670 on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:51 pm »

I've just picked up this game seriously after knowing about it for a few years. The first system I jump into seems uninhabited, so I set my GSV to survey every possible body in the system and return to more pressing matters. I soon forget about the order, and only notice something is wrong when I can't find the GSV task group some years later. I do some looking about, and finally double check the Shanghai system (could it be a NPR?! I was excited!) only to discover this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Gu Jian is my new attempt at reaching Shanghai-B, an orbital some 2714500 million kilometers away from the system center. My old GSV must have exploded on route, because holy hell is Shanghai-B far away.

Do you see that small blue circle at the center there? That's ten times the orbit of pluto!

That's 2,714,500,000,000 kilometers. I'm not sure 1338 km/s is fast enough. . .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:13:06 pm by Salmeuk »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: February 04, 2016, 10:06:40 pm »

If they're on default orders they won't try to survey those really distant B stars. I'm not really sure what the purpose of you doing it manually is either, since a one way trip takes you 64 years.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:32 pm »

If they're on default orders they won't try to survey those really distant B stars. I'm not really sure what the purpose of you doing it manually is either, since a one way trip takes you 64 years.

That's the thing, I'm rather new at this game and I manually ordered the original GSV from the TG screen without understanding just how far away it was. This second ship was also an experiment. I tend to avoid purpose in video games, so you've got me there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:15:26 pm by Salmeuk »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: February 05, 2016, 05:11:53 am »

The Gu Jian is my new attempt at reaching Shanghai-B, an orbital some 2714500 million kilometers away from the system center. My old GSV must have exploded on route, because holy hell is Shanghai-B far away.

Do you see that small blue circle at the center there? That's ten times the orbit of pluto!

I think that you may have missed a 1, it looks like 27,145,001,000,000 kilometers to me...
And yeah, I am a bit of a completionist, so I would probably custom-build a ship with the highest-performance commercial engine that I could, probably several, a whole lot of fuel, and probably send out a tanker for it to meet part-way out and restock at. But realistically, it is too far away to do anything with, and even if you are desperate, you should at least wait for better engine technology, especially fuel efficiency. Time spent on engine technology would probably save time overall by reducing travel time. I kind of doubt that your current ship can make the distance with its fuel supplies...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: February 05, 2016, 05:29:20 am »

If it has a vaguely habitable planet it would make the ultimate secret holdout. Station all obsolete ships there as a mothball yard, set up a small population, and build huge fuel reserves and your empire is immortal.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17675 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:41 am »

Make inter-galactic ballistic missiles on the planet too.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: February 05, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »

And use a massdriver to send stuff there, it'll take a while. :D

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: February 05, 2016, 02:40:01 pm »

Here, have an infographic on the positioning and make-up of my fleets, in the Ship Illustration Style
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: February 05, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »

I've just picked up this game seriously after knowing about it for a few years. The first system I jump into seems uninhabited, so I set my GSV to survey every possible body in the system and return to more pressing matters. I soon forget about the order, and only notice something is wrong when I can't find the GSV task group some years later. I do some looking about, and finally double check the Shanghai system (could it be a NPR?! I was excited!) only to discover this:

Option A - make generation ship with geo sensors and terraforming modules
Option B - make barebones dedicated geo scout with shitload of fuel and most fuel-efficient engine you can design and check if any of those planets are actually worth grabbing.
It would make a pretty nice safe heaven in the case of inbtergalactic conflict.

And use a massdriver to send stuff there, it'll take a while. :D
IIRC massdrivers have cutoff range and will not work over such long distance.

Make inter-galactic ballistic missiles on the planet too.
Bad idea as Aurora goes apeshit when displaying range of sensor/weapon longer than 2.5 Bn km...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:30:20 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: February 05, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »

Those are some pretty dank drawings.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: February 05, 2016, 06:58:48 pm »

Those are some pretty dank drawings.
Damn right it is!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: February 05, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »

Option A - make generation ship with geo sensors and terraforming modules
Option B - make barebones dedicated geo scout with shitload of fuel and most fuel-efficient engine you can design and check if any of those planets are actually worth grabbing.
Option C - hit the "delete star" button.

The only time I leave distant stars is if by chance there are LPs orbiting both bodies - it's just not worth the headache of trying to put them to use, and they clog up the colony screen.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17682 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »

I have five ships that are classed as in overhaul when I have overhaul disabled, and I cant tell them to leave overhaul because my docks are slowly building another ship for it, which is taking ages.

Any way to SM something out of overhaul or finish a ship being built with SM?
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »

You can use Fast OOB to create ships while bypassing shipyards entirely.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17684 on: February 06, 2016, 12:40:27 am »

First contact with baddies. First time using the combat system. I ended up detaching my TIE fighters from the task group then reattaching them. It worked well, five enemy warships down only losing 5 TIE fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 1347