Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811076 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17655 on: February 03, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »

If you destroy or remove the mass-driver while a payload is in-flight, then it will hit with a force sufficient to wipe out 0.3 million people at a minimum (from empirical testing also called the Fist Contact War)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17656 on: February 03, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »

Can you use mass divers to launch junk at a planet if that planet doesn't have a mass driver? Or does it only allow you to launch if both have mass drivers?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17657 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »

You can't launch unless both have one. The best you can do is wiping out their ground forces, landing your own mass driver, and removing it after some mineral packets are in transit, but that's rather roundabout.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17658 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:47 pm »

Can't you land a mass driver even if they still have ground forces? Then launch and let their own ground forces destroy it en route.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17659 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:06 pm »

I started this again.

A single emergency cryothing on a cargo ship makes it take too long to get the civilians to send their colonization fleet to Mars.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17660 on: February 03, 2016, 09:09:24 pm »

I started this again.

A single emergency cryothing on a cargo ship makes it take too long to get the civilians to send their colonization fleet to Mars.

Two notes:
-Remember that fighters cannot utilize maintenance facilities, so get a storage hangar to cram it into every so often.
-Could you manage significantly more fuel, thus, tonnage efficiency by using a single engine with reduced power output, rather than two? It means you can pack less fuel, and might (potentially) be able to fit another cryo pod in, or at the very least, use less fuel over time.

And on a final note, and optional because this is just my opinion: I personally name small transport vessels (civilian or commander) as a "Shuttle" rather than specific to the kind of ship they are, as it feels like it'd fit them better. Just my opinion though, no need to follow it.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17661 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »

Researching hangar decks now.
I played around with a 50% engine, but the 20% extra people per trip didn't worth the greatly reduced speed.

Now, remembering to remove the bridge? That would have been pretty helpful. Goodbye, Brazwell. You served your task and amused me while you lasted, and now Mars is properly colonized.

Edit: Aliens sighted, with just one empty system between us. Good news: I have lots of defensive systems scientists. Bad news: I don't have any power, missile, or sensor scientists.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:41:12 pm by Nirur Torir »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »

I started this again.

Wow, it'd take forever to set up a decent sized colony with those things! Generally, you want a larger ship with more cryo space, but I guess you have your own thing going on so I won't tell you what to do. They'll make more decent survivor rescuers with a capacity like that though. After a successful battle, you could send one of those things in to save any crew members or capture any aliens so that you can interrogate and dissect them (fun!). By the way, what DOES interrogating do? What exactly does it reveal?

Also, what does a commander's logistics bonus do?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:48 pm »

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaand I just accidentally deleted my main save. There goes about a month or two of work.  :-\

Ah well, at least I can start out again with a clean save that isn't lagging horribly.

(RIP People's Republic of Zuckerman you will be missed thank for not murderboning me immediately)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:20 pm »

By the way, what DOES interrogating do? What exactly does it reveal?

Mostly it gives information on enemy ships - showing you the build summary of a class, although you can also get astrological data, and (although I may be misremembering this) I'd swear that I've gotten a tech out of them before.

I'm pretty sure it helps with loading/unloading - so it'd be good for colony ships, freighters, and troop transports.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17665 on: February 04, 2016, 01:03:29 am »

I started this again.

Wow, it'd take forever to set up a decent sized colony with those things! Generally, you want a larger ship with more cryo space, but I guess you have your own thing going on so I won't tell you what to do. They'll make more decent survivor rescuers with a capacity like that though. After a successful battle, you could send one of those things in to save any crew members or capture any aliens so that you can interrogate and dissect them (fun!). By the way, what DOES interrogating do? What exactly does it reveal?

Actually, the goal of the fighter-colonizer is just to set up the initial footprint of a colony so the Shipping Companies can start sending colonists and infrastructure, for which the design serves admirably.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17666 on: February 04, 2016, 01:49:04 am »

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaand I just accidentally deleted my main save. There goes about a month or two of work.  :-\

Ah well, at least I can start out again with a clean save that isn't lagging horribly.

(RIP People's Republic of Zuckerman you will be missed thank for not murderboning me immediately)
Ow! Condolences transmitted. You do have a receiving mass driver set up, right?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:48 am »

Ow! Condolences transmitted. You do have a receiving mass driver set up, right?

careful, that's how Chelyabinsk happened

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17668 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:29 am »

I guess I'll take some more orders for drawing ships again.

Specs and a theme like before!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: February 04, 2016, 10:18:26 am »

I am thinking about designing a class of fighter that primary role would be non-missile pd but could be still be able to attack enemy ships when I feel that that my ship based pd is adequate for the job. any tips for the design of this type of fighter, mainly armament and sensor stuff.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 1347