Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811407 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17535 on: January 30, 2016, 03:00:16 pm »

Max range lasers could get a couple shots in.

e:  Actually should be three.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17536 on: January 30, 2016, 03:09:49 pm »

The one benefit to using the larger fuel tanks is that they have a lower total cost for storing a given volume of fuel. This only really becomes relevant for fuel harvesting platforms or mass fuel transports though, both of which are also designs that shouldn't be getting into a position that they are getting shot at anyway.

Also to clarify, you only need to be able to hold twice the maximum repair cost in MSP if you are going to be repairing a destroyed component without returning to a yard for repairs. For preventing a maintenance failure from destroying a component you only need to be able to match the max repair cost.

90,000 km/s missiles?

Good god, no PD system you could possibly make would get more than 1 shot.
You could get 2-3 shots with laser area PD matched to a high tech level firecontrol at that speed, particularly if you were moving away from the missiles rather than towards them. You need to be getting up to around 280,000 km/s to ensure that PD only get a single chance to fire.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17537 on: January 30, 2016, 04:52:33 pm »

How exactly does overhauling work? I know it decreases the maintenance clock, but how long does it take? How many resources does it take? The reason I ask is because I've tried overhauling some of my military vessels before, only to have them being overhauled for years and years. Eventually I just scrapped them because they were getting very outdated.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: January 30, 2016, 05:13:46 pm »

I am not sure about the times, but it always depends on the state of the maint clock. It is slowly turned back. Still much faster than it moved forward. If your ships were overhauled for years you must have had them off planet for a lot of years.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: January 30, 2016, 05:20:11 pm »

The one benefit to using the larger fuel tanks is that they have a lower total cost for storing a given volume of fuel. This only really becomes relevant for fuel harvesting platforms or mass fuel transports though, both of which are also designs that shouldn't be getting into a position that they are getting shot at anyway.

Also to clarify, you only need to be able to hold twice the maximum repair cost in MSP if you are going to be repairing a destroyed component without returning to a yard for repairs. For preventing a maintenance failure from destroying a component you only need to be able to match the max repair cost.

90,000 km/s missiles?

You could get 2-3 shots with laser area PD matched to a high tech level firecontrol at that speed, particularly if you were moving away from the missiles rather than towards them. You need to be getting up to around 280,000 km/s to ensure that PD only get a single chance to fire.

is that even possible? That's like, 0.9 c!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17540 on: January 30, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »

While a ship is in overhaul, the maintenance clock on the ship details window moves backwards at three times the rate of the time passed. So if a ship is in overhaul for a year, three years will be taken off of the maintenance clock. It is for this reason that many aim to have ships that will be operating away from maintenance bases to have a maintenance life of around three years, then bring them back to spend a year in overhaul.

In the current version, 7.1, Ships in overhaul cost around 20% of their build cost per year that they are in overhaul, as opposed to 5% while simply being maintained. In addition it costs from your wealth at the same rate.

The cost for overhauls is changing with the next version, 7.2, as all maintenance is shifting to running off of maintenance supplies rather than directly from your mineral stocks. Maintaining a ship will now cost 25% of it's total build cost in supplies, an equivalent of roughly 6.25% in minerals, while overhauling will cost 100% of the build cost in supplies, an equivalent of 25% in minerals. Wealth will no longer be used directly when maintaining/overhauling as it is instead used in the production of the supplies.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17541 on: January 30, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »

90,000 km/s missiles?

He probably meant ~280,000km range, given that that's roughly 2/3 of the distance those 90,000km/s missiles would travel in a 5-second tick.

You haven't been able to brute-force FTL since before the drive mechanics update.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17542 on: January 30, 2016, 06:13:47 pm »

Yep, Steve had to put in a specific cap a few years ago when people realized it was completely possible to make FTL missiles and Fighters. The cap limits them to a max of 299,000 km/s.

In the current version, here is an example of an ASM hitting the cap from a high tech-level game.
Code: [Select]
S-9 "Cracker" ASM
Missile Size: 9 MSP  (0.45 HS)     Warhead: 90    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 54
Speed: 299000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 210.2m km
Cost Per Missile: 64.25
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 16146%   3k km/s 5346%   5k km/s 3229.2%   10k km/s 1614.6%

He probably meant ~280,000km range, given that that's roughly 2/3 of the distance those 90,000km/s missiles would travel in a 5-second tick.

You haven't been able to brute-force FTL since before the drive mechanics update.
Nope, I meant 280,000 km/s, as I said. Max range for a fire-control is 1,400,000 km, so to cover that range in one 5 sec interval and not leave your missile open for multiple shots it needs to have a speed of 1,400,000 km / 5 s = 280,000 km per second. In practice, you'd want your missile speed to be even higher than that to cover for relative speed of the target.

edit: Ah, I get the disconnect, we are coming at it from opposite directions. You are going for what range would you need to get multiple shots on missiles travelling at 90,000km/s, whereas I am going what speed does your missile need to avoid ever allowing more than one shot.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:27:51 pm by Metalax »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17543 on: January 30, 2016, 06:39:25 pm »

Ah, yeah, I see where you're coming from now.

Though that's mostly a theoretical concern, you're unlikely to ever encounter a NPR with max-range laser PD ships and if you do they're unlikely to be effective enough to require this sort of optimizing (as opposed to just chucking another ship or two worth of missiles at them in each salvo).

3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17544 on: January 30, 2016, 06:42:11 pm »

I've done a few more gravitational surveys of this system and I still haven't found the hidden jump point yet! Am I doing something wrong?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: January 30, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

I think you have to observe someone using it. Or come in from the other side.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17546 on: January 30, 2016, 07:38:40 pm »

Alright, finally got my tech updated, so I'm redesigning my military. Here's my missile cruiser so far. Can I get some honest opinions?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: January 30, 2016, 07:43:28 pm »

Looks solid to me - I was going to mention that usually you'd want to use normal launchers for the size 1s, but I see that your tech allows even the 75% reduction launchers to fire every 15 seconds, which should be plenty.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: January 30, 2016, 07:52:59 pm »

Maybe a 2nd AMM fire control.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: January 30, 2016, 07:55:43 pm »

You're probably going to want to rotate AMM coverage between ships, since you won't get many counter-salvos out of any one.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1347