Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811386 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17520 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:47 pm »

Err, the tenth letter in the Greek alphabet, yes.  If there's a joke, I'm afraid I for one completely missed it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kappa
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17521 on: January 29, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »

Err, the tenth letter in the Greek alphabet, yes.  If there's a joke, I'm afraid I for one completely missed it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kappa

((And I think that's the last one from me, rather than derailing too much. ^_^))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17522 on: January 29, 2016, 09:11:26 pm »

I don't get the kappa thing either

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17523 on: January 30, 2016, 01:43:44 am »

I get that it's a meme, I just don't see where the word kappa comes in.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17524 on: January 30, 2016, 02:59:53 am »

Opened this up again now that I have a monitor that can display it.

Just... ouch. I am not intelligent enough to figure this out.
You should consider starting with no preexisting enemies. That way you will not be interrupted until you start messing with gates.
Then just get started figuring out the research and constructions. Build up your constructions facilities, get some engine technology researched, that sort of thing. Pay careful attention to your resource projections because running out of something is not good.

Then build a basic geosurvey craft. Look at the distances, consider the extra distances to manoeuvre, build up a fuel-efficient engine, decide if you want double survey units for double survey speed, build up your shipyard, throw up a large deployment time, all that good stuff. Really, all it needs is to move fast enough to not drive you insane, have a geosurvey module, and not run out of fuel. Everything else is just gravy.

Once you are done with that, learn how to start an off-world colony, it just takes a cargo ship, and some infrastructure... But that gives you an idea of repeat orders and cargo transfer and colony hassles.

Once that is done you can look into the wonderful world of mass drivers... Stopping your empire from coming to a complete halt when it strip-mines the homeworld is an important lesson.

After that, combat, officer organisation, colony management, empire finances, these things are just trimmings.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17525 on: January 30, 2016, 03:47:15 am »

Opened this up again now that I have a monitor that can display it.

Just... ouch. I am not intelligent enough to figure this out.
You should consider starting with no preexisting enemies. That way you will not be interrupted until you start messing with gates.
Then just get started figuring out the research and constructions. Build up your constructions facilities, get some engine technology researched, that sort of thing. Pay careful attention to your resource projections because running out of something is not good.

Then build a basic geosurvey craft. Look at the distances, consider the extra distances to manoeuvre, build up a fuel-efficient engine, decide if you want double survey units for double survey speed, build up your shipyard, throw up a large deployment time, all that good stuff. Really, all it needs is to move fast enough to not drive you insane, have a geosurvey module, and not run out of fuel. Everything else is just gravy.

Once you are done with that, learn how to start an off-world colony, it just takes a cargo ship, and some infrastructure... But that gives you an idea of repeat orders and cargo transfer and colony hassles.

Once that is done you can look into the wonderful world of mass drivers... Stopping your empire from coming to a complete halt when it strip-mines the homeworld is an important lesson.

After that, combat, officer organisation, colony management, empire finances, these things are just trimmings.

Yeah, this stuff. I've mentioned what I did a few times now already, but seriously, playing along with quill18's videos on youtube has really helped me out. He does some explaining as to how things work and what some stuff means without having to dig through the walls of text most tutorials for Aurora offer your eyeballs. I'm comfortable enough now to play on my own for the most part, and it's only been a week. I can only imagine how I would've done with Dwarf Fortress if I didn't trial and error it for...let's see, started playing in '09...seven years.

Of course it looks like a lot, but I'm assuming that as a member of this forum you may be familiar with games that look like they're impossible to decipher, but really aren't that hard. I'm actually very surprised at how easy Aurora has been to understand.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17526 on: January 30, 2016, 04:41:41 am »

Think of it as learning English, it really aren't that hard.

You start off knowing nothing, then you gradually learn it. Mistakes are made and you learn from them (This is sounding more like life in general than English specifically). Then, as you become more proficient, you get satisfaction from being able to do what you were previously not able to. Congratulations, you just curbstomped something you had no idea how to do a bit ago.

I still get a kick whenever I see plump helmets being harvested. That took me way longer than it should've.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17527 on: January 30, 2016, 05:52:18 am »

So let's say someone has a jump point about 10 feet from Earth's orbital path. And let's say said person has decided Earth and Mars are going to be veritable fortresses menacing with spikes of missiles. Are NPRs also momentarily sensorblind when going through jumps? I haven't played far enough to pass through one myself, but this game is actually going pretty strong right now so I feel like the RNG is winding up a haymaker.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17528 on: January 30, 2016, 05:55:36 am »

Yes, they are sensorblind. Won't help you much when you send the missiles from planets though, as they will probably need more than the time it takes to get rid of the sensor blindness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17529 on: January 30, 2016, 08:24:41 am »

I get that it's a meme, I just don't see where the word kappa comes in.
"Kappa" is the twitch code for that B&W face shot of John DeSeno.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17530 on: January 30, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »

One of my recently designed ships.  Fleets are designed to hang around with a supply ship to keep them with MSP when things go wrong.

Code: [Select]
Eclipse Mk.II class Cruiser    28,000 tons     525 Crew     5631 BP      TCS 560  TH 7500  EM 360
13392 km/s     Armour 5-82     Shields 12-375     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 15     PPV 50
Maint Life 0.18 Years     MSP 1628    AFR 1254%    IFR 17.4%    1YR 8935    5YR 134018    Max Repair 937.5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Spare Berths 0   
Magazine 730   

Bennett Aerospace 1875 EP Magnetic Fusion Drive (4)    Power 1875    Fuel Use 41.34%    Signature 1875    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 10,000,000 Litres    Range 155.5 billion km   (134 days at full power)
Delta R375/300 Shields (5)   Total Fuel Cost  63 Litres per hour  (1,500 per day)

Todd Cybernetics Size 5 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 25
Slater Cybernetics Missile Fire Control FC82-R120 (2)     Range 82.8m km    Resolution 120
Size 5 Anti-ship Missile Mk.VII (146)  Speed: 90,000 km/s   End: 13.3m    Range: 72m km   WH: 9    Size: 5    TH: 480/288/144

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Not actually trialed in combat but based upon what has worked so far against the NPRs I am facing.

Although the main workforce of my fleet in combat tends to be my carrier based fighters such as

Code: [Select]
Endymion Mk.IV class Fighter    250 tons     2 Crew     188.2 BP      TCS 5  TH 36  EM 0
30000 km/s     Armour 2-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 1.5
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 50%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 18    5YR 270    Max Repair 150 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 8   
Magazine 10   

Crawford Aeromarine 150 EP Magnetic Fusion Drive (1)    Power 150    Fuel Use 763.84%    Signature 36    Exp 30%
Fuel Capacity 15,000 Litres    Range 1.4 billion km   (13 hours at full power)

Osullivan Engineering Size 5 Box Launcher (2)    Missile Size 5    Hangar Reload 37.5 minutes    MF Reload 6.2 hours
Page-Foster Missile Fire Control FC38-R16 (1)     Range 38.9m km    Resolution 16
Size 5 Anti-ship Missile Mk.VIII (FTR) (2)  Speed: 90,000 km/s   End: 7.1m    Range: 38.4m km   WH: 12    Size: 5    TH: 420/252/126

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

They get close and unleash a volley a few times before the enemy are in the range of anything else I have.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17531 on: January 30, 2016, 01:37:46 pm »

I'd still give them some engineering spaces. Those things will chew through your supplies quickly. And you should have at least twice the supply of the most expensive component, because it needs twice the MP to repair a broken component, and I don't thing you can share those between ships, they need to be onboard. And things do break in combat. You'll also need to have the supply ships on hand while fighting, because your ships will break down all the time. On average that thing will cost you 9000 MP a year. If you don't overhaul it by they, it will get more and more each year. In 5 years it'll cost 134k MP. That is more than I use in most games for all ships together. (At least I think that is what those numbers mean.)
Do you use two 5mil litre tanks? In my experience those get hit very often, and if both are hit your ship is slowed to 1km/sec. It might be better to switch some of the fuel to a tanker/supply ship and replace that weight with engineering spaces.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17532 on: January 30, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »

Yeah, just a tip: never use fuel tanks larger than the normal 50k liter ones. It doesn't change the volume they occupy, but using a bunch of little tanks will mean that you lose less fuel per hit when you take internal damage. It also helps mitigate damage to more important components; if you've got, say 20 internal components, two of which are giant fuel tanks, that's more vulnerable both to losing all the fuel and taking damage to things more important than fuel tanks than, for example, a design with 50 internal components, 32 of which are smaller fuel tanks. If the latter takes a single point of damage hit to a fuel tank, you've still got 31 more to soak damage and continue fueling the ship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17533 on: January 30, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »

My older ships have .5 maint life, they don't tend to spend very long away from home and sent out rarely.  These ones I am still working on.

They all sit happily at a planet until something happens that needs them.

They may need some tweaking to balance some of the weirder stats out and I don't think I have actually built that ship yet.  The smaller ships do just fine for everything I need so I don't really need many bigger ones.

Not actually had any of my military ships get hit enough for their armour not to hold, and most engagements are mostly over by the time the main body of the fleet gets into range anyway thanks to fighters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17534 on: January 30, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »

90,000 km/s missiles?

Good god, no PD system you could possibly make would get more than 1 shot.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 ... 1347