Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811579 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17460 on: January 28, 2016, 11:55:57 am »

For a size 6 missile the range perfectly fine imo. Mine are usually in the 60-70mil km range.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: January 28, 2016, 12:07:36 pm »

Speaking of missiles, I was fiddling around with agility and can't make heads or tails of it. As I increase the amount, the accuracy goes up and down, and for some reason the "accuracy at 3000 km/s" is at an odd number when compared to the other speeds. I could not make heads or tails of the formula for how agility works.

As you add weight, speed decreases, which decreases accuracy.  Adding agility increases weight, so at some points it is counterproductive.  I usually just trade fuel for agility until I get the range that I want: it works marginally, and I typically chose my size first thing.

Well my problem is I will gradually increase it and the accuracy goes up a little, then down a little, then up a little, then down a little, etc., etc.

Is there a point in which you don't want to just start at 0 agility and go up by 0.01 until the accuracy drops down again?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: January 28, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »

No, you just need some decent PD turrets and enough speed. I also wouldn't mix ASMs and AMMs on one ship, dedicated ships are usually better.

With a fire control speed rating of 5000 (so you can design them for 20000 at 4x size) you should be able to shoot almost anything the usual suspects throw at you down. Not at 100%, but AMMs don't hit that reliable either. Just add more turrets. And at least those can't run out of ammo. I lost more than one ship to depletet AMM ammo stores.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: January 28, 2016, 12:30:39 pm »

How many turrets/CIWS would you recommend per ship? Or for one ship? Relative to missiles/enemy ships of course.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: January 28, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »

Depends on you shipsize of course. I use two to five quad turrets with 10cm lasers (configured to match the fire control speed, of course). Those come in around 14 HS, so 700t, probably a bit more. One firecontrol per turret. Enough turrets overall to be able shoot every missile twice, at least at these techlevels. Later you can have fewer turrets.

Beware of enemy AMMs, you can probably shoot down most but there might be some leakers, or they just fire too many to hit them all. But if you have half decent armor, you should survive to close in for the kill. And those turrets (needs cap recharge 3 to fire every 5 secs) will kill anything else that comes in range as well, even if they only do 1 point of damage at long range. 3 at close range, per gun.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »

I did pixel art imagining what my ship classes would look like.

Can you tell what class each one is?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »

For a size 6 missile the range perfectly fine imo. Mine are usually in the 60-70mil km range.
Actually, looking into it, I can do better - by just turning the two 1 MSP engines into a single 2 MSP engine, we increase both speed and range (especially since I got a 10% engine efficiency tech in there.)

I knew about this, but I suppose I never really looked into it. So, it bears repeating: if you find yourself using two engines for your missiles, look into spending the 100-odd RP to design an engine that's twice the size.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: January 28, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »

I really wish non-missile weapons were equally as feasible as the missile weapons. I'm not huge on ship design, and doing ship design, then tossing in ASM magazine, ASM launcher, AMM magazine and AMM launcher designs, THEN ASM fire control, AMM fire control, and finally the missiles really irritates me.

But missiles rule. They can have amazing damage and super long range, alongside a good chance to hit. You try to fight without missiles and your ships will be eaten by an enemy that uses missiles before you can even get halfway towards them.
I talk about this a lot, so I feel obliged to address it.

Missiles are much more effective than E/KW in human hands. A human player will do far better with missiles than E/KW in most circumstances. Aurora AI are, for several reasons, fundamentally incapable of using missiles anywhere near as effectively as humans, mostly because of the quirky, highly specific nature of their advantages. Here's a set of things relating to missile design and doctrine which humans do well and AI don't.

1. Maximize salvo size, even at the expense of reload time and overall volume of fire. You see AI ships all the time that are 16k//24k/32k whatever but have launcher numbers in the single digits, and they're absolutely laughable. This is why AI AMMs are so much more dangerous: they're the one type of missile which NPRs and spoilers naturally fire en masse. We know that one salvo of 30 missiles every minute is better than one salvo of 3 every five seconds, but the AI doesn't.

2. Use of square-number warheads. As above, the AI just doesn't design like that, so their missiles themselves are suboptimal.

NPRs and spoilers don't get efficient missiles, missile platforms, or missile doctrine. This is exacerbated by the fact that players are also exceptionally good at designing ships to beat missile fire. It's not particularly difficult to slap together a ball of armor, shields, turrets, and drives that can soak up missiles from three or four times its weight in enemy ships without taking any internal damage.

Also AMMs are a waste of time and resources if you're not using them to waste enemy anti-missiles before using your ASMs. Stick to E/KW PD and better defensive design+groupings.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:32 pm »

I really wish non-missile weapons were equally as feasible as the missile weapons. I'm not huge on ship design, and doing ship design, then tossing in ASM magazine, ASM launcher, AMM magazine and AMM launcher designs, THEN ASM fire control, AMM fire control, and finally the missiles really irritates me.

But missiles rule. They can have amazing damage and super long range, alongside a good chance to hit. You try to fight without missiles and your ships will be eaten by an enemy that uses missiles before you can even get halfway towards them.
I talk about this a lot, so I feel obliged to address it.

Missiles are much more effective than E/KW in human hands. A human player will do far better with missiles than E/KW in most circumstances. Aurora AI are, for several reasons, fundamentally incapable of using missiles anywhere near as effectively as humans, mostly because of the quirky, highly specific nature of their advantages. Here's a set of things relating to missile design and doctrine which humans do well and AI don't.

1. Maximize salvo size, even at the expense of reload time and overall volume of fire. You see AI ships all the time that are 16k//24k/32k whatever but have launcher numbers in the single digits, and they're absolutely laughable. This is why AI AMMs are so much more dangerous: they're the one type of missile which NPRs and spoilers naturally fire en masse. We know that one salvo of 30 missiles every minute is better than one salvo of 3 every five seconds, but the AI doesn't.

2. Use of square-number warheads. As above, the AI just doesn't design like that, so their missiles themselves are suboptimal.

NPRs and spoilers don't get efficient missiles, missile platforms, or missile doctrine. This is exacerbated by the fact that players are also exceptionally good at designing ships to beat missile fire. It's not particularly difficult to slap together a ball of armor, shields, turrets, and drives that can soak up missiles from three or four times its weight in enemy ships without taking any internal damage.

Also AMMs are a waste of time and resources if you're not using them to waste enemy anti-missiles before using your ASMs. Stick to E/KW PD and better defensive design+groupings.

Additionally, and I agree totally with what Flying Dice has already said, but players can put a huge sensor on that ball of armor, shields, turrets, and drives that will attract all the missiles, leaving the remaining fleet intact.  If it barely limps back, or is even destroyed and later replaced with as ship built from the salvage, the remaining fleet will win.

I did pixel art imagining what my ship classes would look like.

Can you tell what class each one is?

The Illustrious is clearly of the Burgermeister class of ships, which makes it a cargo recreation ship, somewhere your fleet can visit as a pit stop on their way to greater conquests!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:32 pm »

Random thought - I really wish that the galactic map was 3d. My ships keep finding links between awkward systems, turning my beautiful trees into chaotic brambles. With 67 known systems now, it takes me a good 10 minutes rearranging everything so that I don't have ugly transit lines crisscrossing half of my map.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: January 28, 2016, 03:28:09 pm »

Random thought - I really wish that the galactic map was 3d. My ships keep finding links between awkward systems, turning my beautiful trees into chaotic brambles. With 67 known systems now, it takes me a good 10 minutes rearranging everything so that I don't have ugly transit lines crisscrossing half of my map.

Hm, what if you put a mess of intersections in the same space?  Hard to explain what I'm thinking and I'm no artist but kinda like this:

O
O + O
   O

O are systems, with their lines intersecting in the middle.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: January 28, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »

If I reorganized for jump connections I wouldn't find anything anymore, I think. I just sigh and have those lines. I have a very similar number of explored systems (72).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: January 28, 2016, 03:45:55 pm »

If you don't keep your starmap neatly ordered the Communists win. Especially if you're one of those traitors who just drops systems everywhere instead of snapping them to a grid.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: January 28, 2016, 03:51:47 pm »

Nonono, this is a proper grid. There are no lines criscrossing that are not jump connections. Not using "line up" is a horrible, horrible sin!

Edit:
If Zaga A -II ever had indigeneous life forms, I bet most of them will die in the next couple of weeks now. They might have had troubles before, since the planet warmed rapidly. But now that the icesheet on the poles melted, the temperature increased by more than 40°C in a matter of days! We now have a average temperature of a nice 20.44°C. Come and visit Zaga A -II! (And never leave, this is now a destination for colonists. Enjoy your new life on a frontier planet that will probably never be important!)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:01:27 pm by Rince Wind »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: January 28, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »

If you don't keep your starmap neatly ordered the Communists win. Especially if you're one of those traitors who just drops systems everywhere instead of snapping them to a grid.

Uuuuh...  :-[

Spoiler: I'm no commie! (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1347