Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811710 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17445 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:59 am »

Also it has 4 days of fuel, which means you'll need a tug for when you forget to refuel it between hops and it gets stranded.
I'd assume it has a carrier, personally, though I suppose that's not a guarantee considering it might be operating out of PDCs.  That said, if this is to be utilized as a geosurvey craft, it should definitely have much better endurance.  Like Rince Wind, I'm not sure that throttling the engine will help much when compared to a purpose-built efficient drive, though for my part, I've never really experimented much with it.  I'm also not certain how much this thing is going to actually see as far as reconnaissance is concerned.  Those passive sensor figures seem awful low, and there are no active sensors at all.  That said, active sensors on a fighter aren't going to have that wonderful of a range without some significant research investments. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:13:54 am by Culise »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17446 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:58 am »

Also it has 4 days of fuel, which means you'll need a tug for when you forget to refuel it between hops and it gets stranded.
I'd assume it has a carrier, personally, though I suppose that's not a guarantee considering it might be operating out of PDCs.  That said, if this is to be utilized as a geosurvey craft, it should definitely have much better endurance.  Like Rince Wind, I'm not sure that throttling the engine will help much when compared to a purpose-built efficient drive, though for my part, I've never really experimented much with it.  I'm also not certain how much this thing is going to actually see as far as reconnaissance is concerned.  Those passive sensor figures seem awful low, and there are no active sensors at all.  That said, active sensors on a fighter aren't going to have that wonderful of a range without some significant research investments. 
There's actually no passive sensors on it, either, it's just about as blind as a ship can be outside of jump blindness.
But yeah, for a geosurvey vessel with tech like that, you'll want ranges around 100 billion km or so.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:53 am »

There's actually no passive sensors on it, either, it's just about as blind as a ship can be outside of jump blindness.
But yeah, for a geosurvey vessel with tech like that, you'll want ranges around 100 billion km or so.
*blinks*
Ah, I must have misread the sensor bar and not paid enough attention to the actual sensors section.  You're completely right. ^_^

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17448 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:23 am »

*blinks*
Ah, I must have misread the sensor bar and not paid enough attention to the actual sensors section.  You're completely right. ^_^
Hehe. Anyhow, here's a little example of a geosurvey ship that I'm currently using, in ion tech, for anyone who's curious of a way to design geosurvey ships.
Code: [Select]
Interim - Geo: 315 Series class Geosurvey Ship    4 250 tons     50 Crew     320.2 BP      TCS 85  TH 180  EM 0
2117 km/s     Armour 3-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/0/1     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 47    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 16 months    Spare Berths 1   

180 EP-C Directional Ion-Pit Drive (1)    Power 180    Fuel Use 1.97%    Signature 180    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 107.5 billion km   (587 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR11-R81 (1)     GPS 1701     Range 11.3m km    Resolution 81
Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: January 28, 2016, 10:37:59 am »

My geosurvey vessels usually weigh 3000t. 500t for the jump engine (needs efficiency 6, iirc), 1000t for a 80% power engine (only one engine, because the bigger they are the more fuel efficient), two geo sensors, the rest in engineering spaces, fuel and deployment time. With better armor and jump engine efficiency the range and deployment times go up. It is a military design, obviously, because I use the same for the gravsurvey vessels.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:16 am »

Mine are usually at least twice that - 6 to 7.5 ktons, endurance of 4-5 years.  I've taken to putting active sensors on them of late; they let me see what's in a system more effectively, and more cynically, allow me to bait out potential hostiles before I hook the system up to a gate network.  I can run up the designs from my latest game once I'm on a computer that actually permits me access; they're a bit more modern than my usual designs (which start at Nuclear Pulse era) since I was a bit slow off the mark in this game, but that should just put them on par with most players' early-game designs. 

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17451 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:50 am »

My geosurvey vessels usually weigh 3000t. 500t for the jump engine (needs efficiency 6, iirc), 1000t for a 80% power engine (only one engine, because the bigger they are the more fuel efficient), two geo sensors, the rest in engineering spaces, fuel and deployment time. With better armor and jump engine efficiency the range and deployment times go up. It is a military design, obviously, because I use the same for the gravsurvey vessels.
Funny enough, even though my geosurvey vessels are commercial and my grav survey vessels are military, I can still make them from the same naval shipyard because of some compatibility-oriented design tricks. :>
That said, the fact I didn't make a design with a jump drive was a bad idea, and now i'm having big troubles getting my ships anywhere without military assistance. Oof!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17452 on: January 28, 2016, 10:57:27 am »

As I have an absurdly high techlevel in my current game those ships can go about 700bil km and stay away for 6 years. Though if something breaks it is almost always the geosurvey sensor which needs 300 MSP. I had it twice now that one ship (I run them in pairs) came home with only one sensor left, while the other had their full 800 MSP.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:12 am »

my main goal of this longish range geo fighter is to locate the presence of sorium gas giants and do some light geo survey of the area around the gas giants for a forward base so longer range geo ships could be run. Yes I know that this model if produced as is would only be produced in very low quantities. But I will see about a redesign once I actually research some passive sensors which I have mostly ignored so far, and better fuel economy, and possably armor.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17454 on: January 28, 2016, 11:14:00 am »

Alright, I've designed my first actual missile, but am unsure on the specifics.
I skimped on sensors due to the assumption that the firing ship will handle that for the missile, so I don't have to waste space on the sensors. As for everything else, I really have no idea what I did.

Missile Size: 39.8 MSP  (1.99 HS)     Warhead: 80    Armour: 2     Manoeuvre Rating: 24
Speed: 5000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 8.6 hours   Range: 155.5m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.8   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Resolution: 1    Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 140 000 km
Cost Per Missile: 37.272
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 120%   3k km/s 24%   5k km/s 24%   10k km/s 12%
Materials Required:    20.5x Tritanium   1.08x Boronide   1.8x Uridium   13.892x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

Development Cost for Project: 3727RP

Ideally this missile will mostly be deployed in my PDCs. Hence the range (which I have no idea is high or not?? I NEED REFERENCE POIIINTS). If it's not horrible, I'll also probably put it in my early combat ships. Is there anything I missed?

I don't know what your tech level is, so what I have may not be feasible for you yet.

This is a ~100 ton missile you're firing. 1 Hull Size (HS) is 50 tons and your missile is 1.99 HS. You'd need a massive launcher to fire the things and gigantic magazines just to hold a few missiles. 5000 km/s for a missile is quite slow, but I suppose it depends on who you're going to be using it against. Conventional NPR? Sure! Precursors/Invaders? No! The range is particularly low as well. Longer ranged missiles usually have some fuel efficiency to them in order to increase their range quite dramatically. Multiple fuel efficient ones are sometimes better than a few inefficient ones.

You asked for reference, so here's my missile design. By all means, it isn't perfect. Heck, if anyone wants to give me suggestions go right ahead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: You guys ninja'd me hard. :P

Thanks for converting that from Hull Sizes to Tons.  I was going to say "Where's the cockpit on that missile?", but wasn't sure exactly how big it was, as I always have trouble converting from Hull Sizes to Tons (can't seem to remember the formula).

But yeah, some fighters are as small as that missile (although traditionally at higher tech levels), so I'll say it now: Where's the cockpit on that missile?  :P

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17455 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:49 am »

Franky, I just wouldn't use a fighter. You still need a big 'ol carrier with jump engines to bring it to its destination and if you give your survey vessels proper engines and fuel tanks you won't need forward bases. To be really useful those bases would need maintenance facilities (if they also serve grav vessels and your geo ones are commercial), stockpiles of all the needed minerals for maintenance and enough population to allow for shoreleave.

If it is just about the fuel just send some sorium harvestes after them, way less hassle than what you plan to do. The idea might not be bad, but it will turn into a clickfest. While I tell my survey ships to go to system X (which is annoying enough after a while, when they need to do several jumps to get to new places), you need to tell your carrier to go there, then deploy your fighter, then tell your fighter manually what to survey and to then come back. Then you need to set up the base, and finally send in other survey ships.

---

One HS = 50t
But it took me ages until I could remember that and I hated all those screens where you can't show something in tons rather than HS.

Another thing is that the fighter might be too small or too fast to attract enemies in the sector, so they might only come out when you cross it with your carrier.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17456 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:18 am »

Speaking of missiles, I was fiddling around with agility and can't make heads or tails of it. As I increase the amount, the accuracy goes up and down, and for some reason the "accuracy at 3000 km/s" is at an odd number when compared to the other speeds. I could not make heads or tails of the formula for how agility works.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17457 on: January 28, 2016, 11:30:31 am »

Speaking of missiles, I was fiddling around with agility and can't make heads or tails of it. As I increase the amount, the accuracy goes up and down, and for some reason the "accuracy at 3000 km/s" is at an odd number when compared to the other speeds. I could not make heads or tails of the formula for how agility works.

As you add weight, speed decreases, which decreases accuracy.  Adding agility increases weight, so at some points it is counterproductive.  I usually just trade fuel for agility until I get the range that I want: it works marginally, and I typically chose my size first thing.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: January 28, 2016, 11:43:25 am »

here is an off the wall question can a geosurvey team find minerals/ruins on a body that a geosurvey ship didn't find anything on?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17459 on: January 28, 2016, 11:46:49 am »

For what it's worth, here's my current generation (magneto-plasma drive) ASM missile design -

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The range is low compared to what I've seen on these boards, but it's designed to work with my last-generation ship's missile firing systems (which are crap), and (more importantly) it still far out-ranges the only NPR I've found so far.

here is an off the wall question can a geosurvey team find minerals/ruins on a body that a geosurvey ship didn't find anything on?
Ruins - no. Minerals - totally.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:48:52 am by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1347