Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809058 times)

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17355 on: January 25, 2016, 10:19:12 am »

does it make any sense to fire size 1 decoy missiles that has a sensor package on it at the same time as your anti-ship missiles in hopes that the enemies Anti-Missile missiles prioritize them instead of your ASM?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: January 25, 2016, 10:27:10 am »

Maybe make them the same speed as the ASMs and fire 5sec earlier, so they come in range first. If the enemy AMMs work as yours, then they'll always shoot the nearest one. You don't even need the sensor, just make them dumbfire missiles. Put what you can in warheads, after you matched the speed and range with your ASMs. If they get through, they'll even do some damage! Just remember to make your ASMs not bigger than size 6 in this case, as then they are easier to detect and will be the first ones targeted.

I used something a bit similar when I had to deal with PD platforms. I just tried to overwhelm them with size 1 missiles. Usually as the 2nd stage of a size 6 missile and then built for speed.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: January 25, 2016, 11:17:58 am »

Maybe make them the same speed as the ASMs and fire 5sec earlier, so they come in range first. If the enemy AMMs work as yours, then they'll always shoot the nearest one. You don't even need the sensor, just make them dumbfire missiles. Put what you can in warheads, after you matched the speed and range with your ASMs. If they get through, they'll even do some damage! Just remember to make your ASMs not bigger than size 6 in this case, as then they are easier to detect and will be the first ones targeted.

I used something a bit similar when I had to deal with PD platforms. I just tried to overwhelm them with size 1 missiles. Usually as the 2nd stage of a size 6 missile and then built for speed.

I wonder if you could try making giant 2-stage missiles in box launchers which split into 20 dummy warheads at close range to try and exhaust the AMM/ overwhelm PD in conjunction with a missile wave.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17358 on: January 25, 2016, 11:45:40 am »

I wonder if you could try making giant 2-stage missiles in box launchers which split into 20 dummy warheads at close range to try and exhaust the AMM/ overwhelm PD in conjunction with a missile wave.
Of course you can!

----
My empire is starting to overwhelm me...when a cargo TG tells me that it finished its job I often have no idea what the job in question was. Did they bring construction factories to one of the planets that are supposed to assemble their PDC (yeah, do it yourself safety!), or did they bring some DSTS somewhere? If so, where? And who needs prefabricated PDCs at the moment? And what the hell is this Gliese 588 the surveyors insist on having explored. I don't even know in which direction from Sol it is. And why are there never any NPRs, even with 90% chance to find some on proper planets? And why is my coffee empty again and who turned the sun off, it was just in the middle of the day, can't be late afternoon already, I have an empire to manage, dammit!
At least the colony fleets (all 14 of them) are all on repeat and most get their victims pioneers from not-Terra - where I am missing about 60mil workers. Or scientists, or whatever.

BUT! I found two more systems with precursors, which gave me an excuse to build a new fleet (upgrading would have been 120-130% of the price. It has finished training, and as soon as the overhaul is done they will set spacesail and go punch the precursors. I don't even need FACs anymore, because my ships of the line are faster than their FACs. I have never before in a game researched such things as solid core antimatter drives. But I really just want to see those huge spinal lasers in action, even though 20cm lasers would probably be the best, as I could fire those every 5sec. The 60cm spinals and 35cm regulars ... not. And I already decided against 40cm ones.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17359 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »

I've found that once I expand past 2-3 systems I need to use a spreadsheet to keep track of fleet assignments

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:54 pm »

Or just name the TGs after what they are doing.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: January 25, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »

I wish that you could sort task groups by fleet, to keep it easier to interface with them

also better control of events and notifications PLEASE

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »

okay if I have a orbital habitat in the orbit of a Venus class planet could I use regular mines, factories, etc on the planet without any actual infrastructure on the planet? or are the colonists just their for tax reasons?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17363 on: January 25, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »

okay if I have a orbital habitat in the orbit of a Venus class planet could I use regular mines, factories, etc on the planet without any actual infrastructure on the planet? or are the colonists just their for tax reasons?
For all intents and purposes, the colonists are on the planet and can crew mines and such as normal.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »

Any thing I should know about tugs tugging thru a jump gate?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: January 25, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »

Any thing I should know about tugs tugging thru a jump gate?
I haven't had any problem dragging my million ton terraformers through them.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: January 25, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »

didn't know if I had to do anything funny with taskgroups since the fallow taskgroup command doesn't work thru jump gates

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »

I didn't have to use spreadsheets (well, just a .txt usually) for a long time this time because most systems around Sol were just utterly worthless. I got by with 3 cargo fleets (5 ships with a standard hold each) for the longest time, plus one hauler to get minerals from Alpha Centauri and the other next door system.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17368 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »

-snip-
Crazy stuff!
Also, reading this, I'm wondering, I've heard that beam weapons going through atmosphere get their damage severely reduced. But apparently, CIWS still works, according to this. Would final fire on other beam weapons, like gauss turrets or railguns work?
What about firing on enemies from on the planet, out to outside of the planet? Or landed ships? I should probably test these.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: January 25, 2016, 05:16:27 pm »

I'm getting an error while trying to load my construction brigade into my troop transports. Any ideas why? They have 4 large bays each, and there are 3 of them.
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1347