Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809027 times)

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17340 on: January 24, 2016, 11:58:36 pm »

Damn son, *claps*

---

A little earlier today I got one of those why-the-frak-not type moods and decided to see what the stats would be for a AMM ship equipped with 100 AMM launchers, 25 AMM fire-controls, enough magazines to equal 800 capacity, and 100 CIWS. And I noticed that the Engineering Spaces has diminishing returns that go to the point that adding more actually increases your fail rate... Now I don't see anything on the wiki about their being diminishing returns with Engineering Spaces and Maintenance Bays, so is this normal now, or did I break the math along the way?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17341 on: January 25, 2016, 12:00:21 am »

Er, excuse the noob question, but why did you put 25 fire control things on?
Don't you only need the one?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17342 on: January 25, 2016, 12:17:30 am »

from my understanding you can only have one target per firing control per shot/salvo at a time. and I read that it is good to have your missiles set to 4 launchers per FCS which is supposed to hold true especially with ASM and APM since I am told that they (A.I.) likes doing three AMM per your salvo. This is info that I got from this forum I know the info is a bit old but inform me if it is no longer the case.

Source: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.msg2712340#msg2712340

[Edit:] I know that someone said that the wiki was back up, but I checked the forums and they are back up too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:23:06 am by Dramegno »
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17343 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:20 am »

You need a fire control per target per salvo, but if it takes 30 seconds to reload the launchers you can use the same fire control to change targets 6 times.
Once a salvo is launched and in the sky you can freely target something else with the same firecontrol, the only thing that will effect the salvo is actually loosing contact with the target.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17344 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:55 am »

so should I use less ship based FCS for AMM at least and in what occasions is it a good Idea to put an FCS in my missiles?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17345 on: January 25, 2016, 01:27:09 am »

so should I use less ship based FCS for AMM at least and in what occasions is it a good Idea to put an FCS in my missiles?
For anti-missiles i would scrap the idea of on-board sensor as only a small increase in weight can throw off your chance to hit, unless you use very small sensor just so your overkill missiles can re-target along the way, because due to the very very small thermal emission from the missiles you would need some big sensor on the missiles unless they are contact close.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17346 on: January 25, 2016, 01:34:21 am »

Is there a way to modify the game a bit? I'd like to do something for the missiles... Make them or their launchers heavier... or something. Preferably without breaking the AI.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17347 on: January 25, 2016, 01:52:39 am »

Become Steve.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17348 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:57 am »

before I spend to much time and resorces pretty much designing/making a stealth swarm boarding fleet, does it sound viable overall and how hard would it be to out swarm a Star Swarm?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17349 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:10 am »

The way i dealth with the swarm is to have small laser ship faster than their fast attack and having more range, i kited them, sure it takes forever when they throw 175 FAC at you but at least they cannot hit you and they dont use missiles.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17350 on: January 25, 2016, 06:11:25 am »

I'm not sure the Swarm can be boarded any more. I know it used to be possible, but the ships were fairly useless to the player if playing with maintenance on.
Seconding faster and longer-ranged beam ships as the preferred method of dealing with them.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17351 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:08 am »

What is a good size to start building a death star at? I made a couple of small ones with 40cm lasers in spinal mounts but I am waiting for my researchers to hurry up with the better stuff. Playing on 10% difficulty for my first run through of the game.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17352 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:29 am »

It really just depends on what all you what it to do or how many systems you want to put in it and if you want it to travel at all under power/tug. Cause if you plan to never let it leave orbit you can make it gargantuan in every sense of the word

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17353 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:19 am »

Not quite. The laser warheads are essentially bomb-pumped lasers strapped to missile drives (which is why they use X-Ray laser tech)

This is one of those things that's always really annoyed me about Aurora's tech tree (the other big one being that a box launcher (logically the simplest possible weapon) is at the end of a long miniaturization chain) - Laser Warheads shouldn't requite X-Ray laser tech because generating a bomb-pumped laser is fundamentally different from making a stable, repeatable weapon that can be fired over and over again. The former is within range of our science (there used to be reports of successful underground test firings floating around, but they've all mysteriously vanished) while the latter is a pipe dream. It's understandable for balance reasons, but is somewhat irritating.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17354 on: January 25, 2016, 08:48:18 am »

Personaly i would prefer having the smaller size very long reload available from the start and work toward higher size instead of the other way around, this way fighter and smaller sized craft are much more prevalent that oversized ship, and by the time your tech is good enough for fighter, they are kinda useless as anything will most likely one shot them unless you make bombers... else they are cannon fodders and logistic nightmare to re-field.
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1347