Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1154 1155 [1156] 1157 1158 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809019 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17325 on: January 24, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »

!) Where can I watch The Expanse online legally, without having syfy as a dish channel?

Amazon has it, but not for free.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17326 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:42 pm »

Many things don't work as designed in nebulae.

Non-functional: Shields, missiles.
Impaired: Speed (capped, by nebula level/armour), sensors (range divided by nebula level), fire control (accuracy divided by nebula level).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17327 on: January 24, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »

IIRC nebulas slow down insufficiently armoured ships and missiles don't work in nebulas. There might be something else about them I'm missing since I've never encountered one in game.
Shields don't work either. Maximum speed in a nebula is affected by both the nebula level and the armor of the ship in question. Passive sensor strength, beam chance to-hit, and active sensor ranges are all divided by the nebula level. Basically nebulae negate the normal mode of combat in Aurora (long-range missile duels), forcing you to use heavily armored close-range brawlers. It's one of the few environments where plasma cannons are viable weapons.

You've likely never encountered them (or black holes) because they don't appear in Real Stars games.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17328 on: January 24, 2016, 07:38:33 pm »

To finish my story, the enemy still had one gunship wich tore trough my terraformers, thats 20 terraformer dead, after their attack they slowly moved toward, well slowly.... they did move at 12km/s but since they were on the outskirt of the solar systm it still took them a couple of days, i cranked up my missile production hoping my little PDC would get more luck going trough their damn PDS....

Anyway they finaly get in range of earth and i started spewing all my missiles, i had 2000 size 6 missile stockpiled and all of them had active sensor should something happen to my PDC. So i fire away non stop and they get into knife range and start hitting my PDC every 5 seconds, good thing i had massive armor on it. First voley hit the enemy, all of them strike and hit! No PDS engaged my missiles wich i dont understand, so seeing that i fire everything i have even my AMM thats still 10 more damage. That 50kton ship sure has a lot of armor. I finaly blew the last one of them using my missiles, used about 200 of them but victory!!! My PDC did suffer some scorching hits tho as i had only a couple launcher left after a magazine explosion. *After the fight i waited 30 days and used SM to repair the PDC since its kinda wacky to repair PDC, at least it was in the past*. Seeing the success the PDC had fighting of the enemy, i quickly designed a missile base wich had well, only missiles and in greater number. I dont mind overshooting an ennemy with my anti-ship missile since they can just switch target if one blows up, didnt know how effective it would be seeing it was my first attempt at using missiles with sensors on them.

I realised 2 mistake i did in this fight, one major error was going in point blank range with my ship, my ship had supperior range than their weapons but instead of falling back to earth and let them slowly catch me i went straight in and they closed to gap and since they were only about 200m/s faster than me i had no chance to escape them. If i had stopped my ship and turned tail as they enter my max range i could had let of a couple dozen hits before being in treatening range of their energy weapon and would had taken them a really long time to get in ramming range. First lesson learned.

Also it appears that if i had launched my missiles as they were very close they would had gotten trough wich i didnt even launched any missiles with my ship seeing the first long range voley got obliterated. Lesson learned, when in close combat shoot missiles even if you are not sure if they will hit, at best you will overload their fire control and some might get trough by shear luck.

I designed a fast movers with 50 box launcher should more come, currently retooling my shipyard to mass produce them, they weight 12 ton and have no jumping capability by themself but they are supposed to be last ditch defenses and still provide military defense points these colonies often request after a certain size, so i can just build done or more hanguar PDC and stick these ship in so they dont use maintenance.

About 2 month later more hostile transit poped out, this time they were about 15kton so not that bad, but there was 4 of them, good news this time i had no ship between them and me, because well... i didnt have any left. More good news... i still only have that single PDC and this time they will come with their missiles! Being on the ground the PDC didnt have to fear about running out of amm since i had like 5k of them sitting on the planet and have 10 CIWS each shooting 10 time at 20km/s tracking shoudl any straggler go trough the AMM barage.

They appeared to be splitting up just befero reaching earth and i zoomed out to see what was going out, they were in range of my missiles as they started spltting and 2 of them was going for the civilian ships trying to flee behind me, anyway, new thermal contact, 2 salvo of 7 size 6 missiles going straight toward the civilian, i quickly engage these missiles with my aam, they go 50km/s mine goes 75km/s so yeah my missiles shouldnt have too much trouble catching them even tho the enemy missiles have a pretty far closest-point-to-earth. by the time i send 2 voley for each salve thats 20 seconds, mutilple other salvos are detected closing on me and the civilian, during that time my anti-ship missiles are already flying, launching 5 salvos of 10 missiles toward each ship contact. My missiles had a 50% interception rate ratio afainst their missiles so not that bad, i did manage to take out all missiles going toward the civilian and myself, only letting single missiles go toward me should i miss a couple in a defense fire.

The enemy missiles was no match against my crazy CIWS, im confident i could had easily let them all hit without missiles interception and still not receive any damage. After a couple of planet reload since my magazine went empty a couple of time they all fell down to my missiles and they didnt had the chance to close on me to get into knife fight.

Now will i have enough time to properly mount a defense fleet and send the fight back to them? No idea. Also they are all coming from the Toronto system and funny thing is i have 2 Geosurvey ship there and one grav survey, none of them had any contact with them even tho they had been in the toronto system for almost 6 month!, thats 3 ship rolling about the system and still operational..... They really want my capital.... Now to try and mount a proper defense fleet or harrassing fleet with these box launcher. My 12kton ship goes 15km/s but burn fuel like a supernovae..... Hell we will see how it goes and hope it was the last of them! For a while that is.... Still need to salvage everything thats gonna take forever... and rebuild my terraforming fleet, man thats 20 of them and some of the commander was crazy good but sadly they all died so my terraforming bonus commander might not be as good.... Eh oh well.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17329 on: January 24, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »

'Cus I'm hangin' with my beeeest frieeeend~

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is it that I can't do anything with them but they can set me to friendly, offer me stuff, give me tech?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17330 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:56 pm »

You've likely never encountered them (or black holes) because they don't appear in Real Stars games.

Wait hold on...
Black holes? What do they do?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17331 on: January 24, 2016, 08:19:57 pm »

Wait hold on...
Suck ships and missiles in at a constant rate dependent on their strength. If they're stronger than the engines of something, it's inexorably drawn in and destroyed utterly.

3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17332 on: January 24, 2016, 08:23:05 pm »

last icon in the top bar for the inteleigence information, on the diplomatic tab you can check if you want to share your information/research set them as hostile neutral, friendly or allied. Should cover about everything they can do but on your side of things.

Look for the red clues :)
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17333 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:12 pm »

Wait hold on...
Suck ships and missiles in at a constant rate dependent on their strength. If they're stronger than the engines of something, it's inexorably drawn in and destroyed utterly.

That sounds horrible. Imagine finding a new jump point to an unexplored system and sending a scout through just to have it immediately get sucked into the black hole. rip. Does it pull you harder the closer you are? Say you're on the edge of the system, does it pull you only a little until you get close enough for it to start pulling you faster?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17334 on: January 24, 2016, 08:26:53 pm »

last icon in the top bar for the inteleigence information, on the diplomatic tab you can check if you want to share your information/research set them as hostile neutral, friendly or allied. Should cover about everything they can do but on your side of things.

I know where to find it, but all my options are grayed out!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17335 on: January 24, 2016, 08:50:14 pm »

Wait hold on...

That sounds horrible. Imagine finding a new jump point to an unexplored system and sending a scout through just to have it immediately get sucked into the black hole. rip. Does it pull you harder the closer you are? Say you're on the edge of the system, does it pull you only a little until you get close enough for it to start pulling you faster?
Nope. Constant rate based on the tier. Lowest is 1k km/s, highest is 10k km/s.

3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17336 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »

I know where to find it, but all my options are grayed out!

I think depending on your race diplomatic/xenophobia it can slow or speed up the rate at wich you trust a race enough to allow such move and they, on the other hand are much trusty, or is it a fight against your diplomatic score against their xenophobia?

IE: Your diplomatic characteristic from your race information is much higher than their xenophobia wich made them trusting you much faster than their diplomatic against your xenophobia, dont quote me on that tho i have no idea how it really works, but seeing your 600 diplo point well, you will just the to wait longuer. Also make sure your diplomatic team always has 5 good team member, sometime 1-2 can die in quick succession and suddly your team score just lost 60+ point, happent to me once and i was wondering why it wasnt raising fast enough untill i saw i only had one member in the team and lost the 4 other to health issue or *accident*.

I found this link to have nice information about diplomacy and such, i have no idea about how accurate it now is, but i believe we can use some basis from there. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=497ab52ed1c53469e03870d65234babd&topic=146.0Scratch that link, found a better one
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=497ab52ed1c53469e03870d65234babd&topic=1613.0

So following what steve said on the new/old/current diplomatic system, the diplomatic team they employed ias either very crappy or your xenophobia is very high making you not trust them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:41:51 pm by jocan2003 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17337 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »

Things went very well for me.

Was there sarcasm in that statement? :P

Anyway, I'm going to be doing an Aurora LP on another forum, but I'll post some stuff about it here because it's Aurora and why is it so good.

What forum are you doing it on? Is there going to be a backstory to match or is it JUST an LP?

So don't judge me too harshly, but I still frequent a forum from back when I used to be part of a Harry Potter roleplay. I pop in there for occasional forum rp creation and the occasional Community Fort (I actually returned to the forum recently after I got a request to do a DF LP).

And I was going to say of course there'd be a backstory and everything, but then I realized you'd have no basis to assume that.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17338 on: January 24, 2016, 10:14:13 pm »

So don't judge me too harshly, but I still frequent a forum from back when I used to be part of a Harry Potter roleplay

*judges you harshly*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17339 on: January 24, 2016, 11:36:10 pm »

Since I realized that I fucked up that support vessel and made it too small, I had time to crank out a fifth BB before attacking. By the time my assault force got into Macharia, the Invaders were up to seventeen ships in-system. I engaged anyways.

The first BB went down when they unloaded all of their proper ASMs and wore down its shields; the remaining four weathered the follow-up AMM spam without incident. They closed on a pair of heavier, isolated ships... which turned out to be carrying 24(!) 50cm X-Ray lasers each. I lost two BBs killing them, leaving me with Mandate of Heaven and Rule of Law to eliminate fifteen Invader ships. Those survivors closed with and destroyed four empty missile ships before being engaged by cruisers armed with light lasers and more empty missile ships; the latter succeeded in ramming Mandate of Heaven, breaking her shields and destroying her after losing two of their own.

Rule of Law eliminated seven more Invader ships alone before her crew found themselves out of combat. The only remaining sensor contacts in the system were a pair of 89,650 ton Fingerpoker-class vessels near the system primary. With fully charged shields and two-thirds of his ship's armor belt still intact, Lord-Captain Sanros elected to close with and engage these unknowns. He took no fire on his approach and continued to a distance of 100,000km before firing, in order to maximize the effectiveness of his spinal laser. His aggression paid off; the Fingerpoker class was evidently some sort of lightly armored support vessel, as each was destroyed by a single volley. Satisfied, he brought his ship around, setting course for the drifting life pods of the rest of the battle-group.

Total Terran losses: 280,000t military
4x BB Conqueror, 70,000t

Total Invader losses: 356,400t military, 179,300t commercial
2x Fingerpoker, 89,650t
2x Blooddragger, 48,600t
2x Snotlinghater, 16,200
3x Grassraper, 16,200t
3x Beastshooter, 32,400t
5x Headraper, 16,200t

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1154 1155 [1156] 1157 1158 ... 1347