Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808893 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17280 on: January 23, 2016, 07:09:59 pm »

Or just setup minefields around the civilian shipping lanes and use thousands of lives as bair#t
Actually, that sounds like a really interesting idea, and you can even justify it ethically like "for the protection of civilian shipping lanes".
Big problem though is that unless they're delivering between asteroids, they'll only work if you either set up all your mines in choke points around jump points, or disable orbits.

Speaking of Aurora, anyway, is the forum down for anyone else? I can't access it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:14:08 pm by iceball3 »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17281 on: January 23, 2016, 07:16:32 pm »

Speaking of Aurora, anyway, is the forum down for anyone else? I can't access it.

Both the forum and wiki are completely inaccessible for me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17282 on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:28 pm »

Forum and wiki are switching to a new host due to the recent problems and traffic increase

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17283 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »

Sector Gouverneurs give 1/4th of their bonus to planets in the sector, iirc. But I can't remember the formula for sector size. At some point it is just rediculusly expensive if you want the radius to increase.
I think the radius is specifically systemwide, with each increment being 1 jump further from the system of the command. The radius increases as you build additional sector commands in the same place.

Yes, I mean I can't remember how many sector commands you need for each increase in radius.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17284 on: January 23, 2016, 07:25:13 pm »

Forum and wiki are switching to a new host due to the recent problems and traffic increase

Any idea when they're back up?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:46:45 pm by coleslaw35 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17285 on: January 23, 2016, 07:26:24 pm »

Any idea when they're back up?
No idea

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17286 on: January 23, 2016, 08:14:29 pm »

I need to share the latest dispatches from my present game due to the sheer good fortune involved.  For the context, the Lerosian Union (a human outpost slowly redeveloping after a mysterious cataclysm cut them off from the jump network and Earth almost two centuries ago), roughly three years ago in 2434, stumbled across the Marmaras system, which contained with four potentially-colonizable (colonization cost below 3) planets, some of which only required the slightest increase on oxygen to render fully habitable.  At the time, this drew some interest but did not particularly recommend itself due to the fact that the Union was one jump away from two 0-cost planets in the Syrna and Megisti systems, while Marmaras was three jumps away at its closest.  The fact that the system also included eight wrecks of an unknown species ranging from 7.7ktons to 23.1 ktons made it a moderate target for salvagers, but did not immediately suggest a long-term presence, especially since a network of three star systems (Pserimos, Prasonisi, and Paros) contained eight wrecks between them in a position far closer to not one, but two alien empires and thus needed to be prioritized for recovery before they could be stolen away.  Likewise, the fact that Marmaras was at the far end of a rapidly-growing but not yet fully explored network of jump gates encompassing at least seven star systems (the Strongyli network, named after what appears to be its hub) raised strategic questions should that jump gate network be tied directly to Leros, creating a highway to our largest and most important star system when there were serious questions raised of late about our ability to defend against several of the races discovered out there.  As such, the Union's primary strategic assessment was to secure the nearby system of Syrnas first and worry about the Strongyli network, including Marmaras, only after a period of military development. 

This strategic assessment was turned on its head when an Antikytheria P-variant surveyor arrived to conduct a full assay of the mineral wealth of the system, only to uncover massive evidence that Marmaras used to be the core of a major alien empire: an abandoned colony was discovered on the fourth world out only to be eclipsed by the successful discovery of a partially-intact city on the fifth world (around which those wrecks were orbiting).  While the system was confirmed to be mineral-poor, it's just become an absolute priority to secure this system before the nearby alien empires can advance up the jump chain to cut me off from it.  This, however, will also have the potential risks outlined above, and given the fact that the smallest of these wrecks also coincidentally matches the tonnage of the three known classes of warships utilized by the mysterious and inscrutable Dragons (Precursors) who are believed to have destroyed several scouts, the risks of opening our homeworld up to direct Dragon attack must be contrasted with the possibility of securing Dragon technology for our own use.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:16:47 pm by Culise »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17287 on: January 23, 2016, 08:26:28 pm »

Eh, I doubt the Dragons would be able to threaten your homeworld.  If you're like me, then you likely have a fleet on task force training at the homeworld system at all times, with said fleet containing the newest vessels of your navy.  Plus, I hear some people actually build PDC, lol.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17288 on: January 23, 2016, 08:39:57 pm »

So these friendly aliens found my home system after we both agreed to a trade agreement and they really seem to show an interest in Saturn. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17289 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:30 pm »

Eh, I doubt the Dragons would be able to threaten your homeworld.  If you're like me, then you likely have a fleet on task force training at the homeworld system at all times, with said fleet containing the newest vessels of your navy.  Plus, I hear some people actually build PDC, lol.
Actually, I don't have a military at all, hence why the plan was to wait for a military build-up.  At the moment, I have a single initial production run of 500 missiles running off around 20 factories, but absolutely nothing to actually fire them.  Not even PDCs. :P

Basically, part of the inspiration for the game was that the original cataclysm was perceived to be a natural event, and that before it humanity had never met another hostile alien at all in almost a century of exploration.  As such, there was no apparent need for military development, especially when it would take resources away from a hardscrabble conventional industry bootstrapping itself from nothing, until my first scout ran into Dragons in the Telendos system (two jumps away) and got blown up.  In game terms, I declined to research any form of exclusively-military technology until that first hostile contact.  I think I also cranked up the difficulty, but not as much as usual; only around 250%, with two NPRs, Precursors, and Swarm generated at game start and Invaders only activated now that I've found the truth behind the Marmaras system. 

EDIT: Now that it finished processing the last increment, confirmed the difficulty to be 250%.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:45:53 pm by Culise »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17290 on: January 23, 2016, 08:42:02 pm »

>Active sensors.
Oh jeez.
This ain't good.
Hopefully you had some missile PDC offensive defense ready :E

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17291 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

>Active sensors.
Oh jeez.
This ain't good.
Hopefully you had some missile PDC offensive defense ready :E
Maybe multiple salvos of doorknockers are just their way of saying a friendly hello.  Don't judge their culture too prematurely. ^_^

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17292 on: January 23, 2016, 08:51:11 pm »

What is the likelihood of a friendly alien race turning hostile?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17293 on: January 23, 2016, 10:10:36 pm »

What is the likelihood of a friendly alien race turning hostile?
From what i saw, as long you dont go agressive on them they should stay friendly forever, unless that changed, i have been allied for 30+ year with one and still no sign of treachery, i even sent spy on them and it did nothing.

On a sidenote, anyone saw The Expanse TV series? Its a very well done newtonian realistic space opera serie and there is a fighter with a ship called the donager..... Man i sure saw that fight in Aurora multiple time, different engagement range from different weapon, CIWS firing off, there was much *seen* action but what i saw was marvelous. Im hooked because it feels like a very conventional ish start in aurora. If you like aurora the politics etc, you will most likely love the serie.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17294 on: January 23, 2016, 11:08:54 pm »

On a sidenote, anyone saw The Expanse TV series? *snipped the rest*

Went and watched the first episode after you described it. It's quite interesting, especially at
Spoiler: actual spoiler (click to show/hide)

It did give me an Aurora vibe. In fact, as stuff happened in the show, I was thinking about how it would look in Aurora lol. All in all I may keep up with this show, mostly because it has you questioning what's going to happen next, and I genuinely want to see what's going on.
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1347