Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808933 times)

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17265 on: January 23, 2016, 12:50:24 pm »

Oh, I mean any tips on finding them?  My fighters should be able to deal with them but I would have to go to every system that I previously noticed precursors in and have my fighters patrol around the outer edge of my active sensor range.  Even if my sensors are off they seem to keep away from me.  My longest range sensor is for 10kton and these ships are like 120-150 thermal craft that have fairly short range active sensors.  My game is grinding to a halt because I'm running 12 minimum intervals at 30 days and only covering ~14 days at a time, when all enemy ships in the known galaxy have been destroyed.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17266 on: January 23, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »

A couple of scouts with size 50 thermals should do the trick.
Actually if they're generally hanging around the same areas smaller thermals should do, try a couple of cheap 1 kiloton scouts with a 10 or so HS thermal.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17267 on: January 23, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »

How exactly do sector commands work? Does a sector administrator give 100% of all their bonuses to the entire sector or do they only give a lower percentage of their skills? If I assign multiple systems to one sector command, does that lower the overall effectiveness of a sector commander's bonuses?

What are brigade headquarters, what do they do, and how do I use them? Are they worth it?

Likewise with flag bridges. I asked about flag bridges already and someone answered but I forgot and can't seem to find the reply.)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17268 on: January 23, 2016, 03:16:46 pm »

Sector Gouverneurs give 1/4th of their bonus to planets in the sector, iirc. But I can't remember the formula for sector size. At some point it is just rediculusly expensive if you want the radius to increase.

HQs: I think they make the up to 4 attached units fight as one.

Flag brigdes: The Fleet HQ bonus only counts in Sol (your staff officers). If you want all or some of them to be active elsewhere you have to bring them along. On a flag bridge you can install the HQ for another fleet, that will then give its bonus to parts of the fleet in the system it is in.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17269 on: January 23, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17270 on: January 23, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »

Sector Gouverneurs give 1/4th of their bonus to planets in the sector, iirc. But I can't remember the formula for sector size. At some point it is just rediculusly expensive if you want the radius to increase.
I think the radius is specifically systemwide, with each increment being 1 jump further from the system of the command. The radius increases as you build additional sector commands in the same place.
Oh, I mean any tips on finding them?  My fighters should be able to deal with them but I would have to go to every system that I previously noticed precursors in and have my fighters patrol around the outer edge of my active sensor range.  Even if my sensors are off they seem to keep away from me.  My longest range sensor is for 10kton and these ships are like 120-150 thermal craft that have fairly short range active sensors.  My game is grinding to a halt because I'm running 12 minimum intervals at 30 days and only covering ~14 days at a time, when all enemy ships in the known galaxy have been destroyed.
Build/move Deep Space Listening Stations onto a single body in each system you're suspect of getting contacts. Stick them all on only one or two bodies in each system, as their range scales with how many are on the same body, so you can get arbitrary thermal AND EM range from system bodies without having to retool shipyards or somesuch, as long as you got the freight to move it. I stick DSTS's on a body near the jump points in almost every system I find, as soon as I can, just so I can have much more reconnaissance on potential enemy movements, especially including systems I don't even have a presence in, even hostile systems sometimes just because of how low-profile they are for the sheer sensor strength they're packing. Just be careful though, a geosurvey vessel may be able to find them for your enemies if they happen across it, and they may be glassed or captured, but it's still probably worth it to set 'em up anyway.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17271 on: January 23, 2016, 06:32:54 pm »

What are transponders? Whenever I'm moving ships to a planet, two of the options are Active/Deactivate Transponders.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17272 on: January 23, 2016, 06:36:14 pm »

I think they are for announcing your ships presence. Possibly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17273 on: January 23, 2016, 06:40:58 pm »

Basically, yes. A transponder is an active transmitter that announces your ship.

From the wiki:

The actual mechanics: turning on the transponder shows your position and transponder code to any other ships or pops in the same system. That is the extent of the information though. An alien race would still have to bring you within sensor range to get any confirmation of what you are telling them.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17274 on: January 23, 2016, 06:43:19 pm »

Basically, yes. A transponder is an active transmitter that announces your ship.

From the wiki:

The actual mechanics: turning on the transponder shows your position and transponder code to any other ships or pops in the same system. That is the extent of the information though. An alien race would still have to bring you within sensor range to get any confirmation of what you are telling them.

Are they off by default? Should I keep them off/on?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17275 on: January 23, 2016, 06:52:20 pm »

Off by default. If you want the NPR to see your ship regardless of sensor range, you can turn them on. Otherwise they don't matter much to your own empire as you always know where your own ships are

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17276 on: January 23, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »

Off by default. If you want the NPR to see your ship regardless of sensor range, you can turn them on. Otherwise they don't matter much to your own empire as you always know where your own ships are
I think the civilian ones may be on by default, though. Good to turn em off when you think you got contacts incoming.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17277 on: January 23, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »

I think the civilian ones may be on by default, though. Good to turn em off when you think you got contacts incoming.
How do you turn the civilian ship's transponder off?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17278 on: January 23, 2016, 07:04:25 pm »

I think it's under one of the tabs in the system view.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17279 on: January 23, 2016, 07:05:39 pm »

Or just setup minefields around the civilian shipping lanes and use thousands of lives as bair#t
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1347