Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808715 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17220 on: January 21, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »

not everything, I met some faster ships. but mostly anything.

controlling combat range is quite important, so at that speed I think you will do fine.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17221 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:17 pm »

Whatever you feel comfortable with.

It largely depends if there were NPR that exist before your empire or if there are star swarms and stuff turned on.

The NPC that existing right now will always be generating more RP to get better ships, and an advance NPR is gonna be more advance then you whenever you leave.

However by not leaving you're not growing your economy very effectively and can discover yourself to mineral poor to do anything, including expand.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17222 on: January 21, 2016, 09:55:07 pm »

Playing my first real game and uh...there's a jump point between Mars and the Belt. That's totally a good thing, right?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17223 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:01 pm »

Playing my first real game and uh...there's a jump point between Mars and the Belt. That's totally a good thing, right?

As long as nothing hostile comes through it, yeah that's pretty alright. All my jump points are about 3-6 billion kilometers away from Earth, so there's a good bit of transit time before stuff actually reaches its destination.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17224 on: January 21, 2016, 11:11:58 pm »

I have 5 between the sun and Saturn. with the closest one almost smack dab on Venus's orbit line... luckily that is the one that goes to the space desert system I talked about earlier.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17225 on: January 22, 2016, 12:40:28 am »

Anyone else having trouble accessing the aurora forums?
I imagine I might need to flush my cache or whatever because of the host move, but I'm not sure I can do that on my phone.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17226 on: January 22, 2016, 01:18:53 am »

20 systems. 4 empires. Let the games begin

Annnnd I'm out of money. Damn it.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17227 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:41 am »

Been reading some LPs and watching more of quill18s videos. So this is what I've gathered so far:

Active Sensor Range is important
Missiles are almost a must have due to their Sheogorath-insane range, though you can get around this with really fast attack ships if done right
The 4X part of the title is to be taken seriously
I will eventually be able to figure out generally what a ship is capable of based on thermal signature and info gleaned from scanners
Railguns are useful for Point Defense due to their multishot

What am I missing? What might be wrong? Any amendments to add to the above?

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17228 on: January 22, 2016, 03:11:20 am »

Been reading some LPs and watching more of quill18s videos. So this is what I've gathered so far:

Missiles are almost a must have due to their Sheogorath-insane range, though you can get around this with really fast attack ships if done right
The 4X part of the title is to be taken seriously
I will eventually be able to figure out generally what a ship is capable of based on thermal signature and info gleaned from scanners

What am I missing? What might be wrong? Any amendments to add to the above?

Fleet training is critically important unless you don't mind your ships taking minutes to respond to orders, when seconds matter.

Make sure box launchers are loaded before leaving the planet/hanger.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17229 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:55 am »

As is resolution. It doesn't matter if your sensor has a nominal range of 2b km if it can't pick up anything smaller than a Death Star at 100m km. An AMM sensor that isn't R1 is practically useless.

Can't just be fast. You've got to have some combination of high speed, thick armor, effective PD, and large quantities of ships to break through to a decent missile-armed TG. 'course, it helps that most AI isn't actually that good about massing fire in the most effective manner.

It's been so long since I used railguns that I don't remember for certain whether this is wrong, but my gut says that it is. As far as I'm aware the fact that railguns are multi-projectile only matters because it explains their damage profile against ship armor. PD fire is one hit = one dead missile, and all of the railgun projectiles are counted as a single attack.

--

On an unrelated note, I got back to my budding curbstomped-by-Invaders campaign. One of my survey ships discovered an unexpected loop connecting Alpha Centauri to Proxima Centauri. It also found a trio of Invader cruisers which merrily blasted it with STR-18 ASMs. So yeah, there's another reason to be glad I went for FACs instead of PDCs as my ramshackle defense force. On the bright side, that means that if there aren't any plasma torp equipped cruiser classes in the local outbreak, I might survive a defeat with Earth merely heavily depopulated and irradiated, since they have no way to rearm.

A bit later I popped a survey vessel in Sol with my little defense TG. I've got nine of the original trash-tier Shrike and three of the updated and upgunned Shrike II-L in my OOB, and those still took 45 seconds to kill it after they managed to start firing (yeah, they're new enough to not be named, never mind have trained crews).

Shrike class Fast Attack Craft    1000 tons     32 Crew     131 BP      TCS 20  TH 120  EM 0
6000 km/s     Armour 3-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 3
Annual Failure Rate: 727%    IFR: 10.1%    Maintenance Capacity 0 MSP
Spare Berths 1   

Séguier-Plucknet Aerospace 120 EP Ion Drive (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 54%    Armour 0    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 6.7 billion km   (12 days at full power)

Somneri & Sauvigni R1.5/C1 Meson Cannon (1)    Range 15,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 1.5    ROF 15        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Berners Design Bureau Fire Control S01.5 15-6000 (1)    Max Range: 30,000 km   TS: 6000 km/s     67 33 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Montfort & Perroy Techsystems Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (1)     Total Power Output 3     Armour 0    Exp 5%
Shrike II-L class FAC Leader    1000 tons     52 Crew     201 BP      TCS 20  TH 120  EM 0
6000 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 6
Annual Failure Rate: 0%    IFR: 0%    Maintenance Capacity 126 MSP
Spare Berths 4   

Ceauce Drive Systems 120 EP Magneto-plasma Drive (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 130.9%    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 6.9 billion km   (13 days at full power)

Somneri & Sauvigni R3/C2 Meson Cannon (2)    Range 30,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 3    ROF 10        1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mandeville Dynamics Fire Control S01 32-4000 (1)    Max Range: 64,000 km   TS: 4000 km/s     84 69 53 37 22 6 0 0 0 0
Montfort & Perroy Techsystems Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (2)     Total Power Output 6     Armour 0    Exp 5%

Mandeville Dynamics Active Search Sensor MR10-R16 (1)     GPS 672     Range 10.1m km     Resolution 16

I halted for the night when a new trio of Invader ships transited from Proxima Centauri. Different class than before; they're moving at a bit over 8k km/s and have thermal signatures in excess of 8k as well. It's been so long since I played with Invaders on that I genuinely don't remember how big their cruisers get. With the 600m-odd km AS range they're not JGCs, but they might be the good ol' ramming ship. If it's the latter I might be able to do something effective, but for now I'm going to sit back as long as I can and hope another round of FACs makes it out of the shipyards.

Full AAR up when it's resolved for good, one way or the other.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17230 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:07 am »

what's the average armor invader have now? (I saw quite some changes all over the place with precursor being slower etc so I haven't enabled them yet)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17231 on: January 22, 2016, 04:28:49 am »

Iunno. My weapons tech isn't near good enough to matter, hence the mesons and praying to all the gods for lucky hits. I might peek at them in SM mode to check if you'd like.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17232 on: January 22, 2016, 04:49:19 am »

I have been having issues with accessing both the wiki and the forums but I saw on the forums one of the times that I was able to get in that they are/is/have? switched to a new server (or similar)  for the forum so various functions are disabled like registration for one.

For one thing I didn't know this game existed till I saw Quill18 play it on youtube, then I saw Arumba play it so I can only imagine that the memory and internet connections for the wiki and forum just cant keep up with all of the current new players.

One thing that has been bugging/nagging me is that when I did my grav survey of the Sol system 2 of my 10 jump points already had jump gates built on both sides of the jp is that common to happen with the auto build jump gate setting off or has the Sol system been getting scouts that I have not noticed?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17233 on: January 22, 2016, 05:17:14 am »

Not uncommon. The lore of the game features an extinct civilisation spread wide over the galaxy, and you can stumble across the remains... jump gates, automated ships and ruins on habitable planets.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17234 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:43 am »

It's been so long since I used railguns that I don't remember for certain whether this is wrong, but my gut says that it is. As far as I'm aware the fact that railguns are multi-projectile only matters because it explains their damage profile against ship armor. PD fire is one hit = one dead missile, and all of the railgun projectiles are counted as a single attack.

Nope, each of the four shots of a railgun is counted as a separate attack, so it can hit multiple missiles. The thing that makes railguns only good for PD before you tech up your gauss fire rate, is that they can't be turreted, so are limited in tracking speed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1347