Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808539 times)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17160 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:51 pm »

Anyone know if i can play this on win 10 tablet?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: January 19, 2016, 03:24:31 pm »

active sensors?

I mean, that's a given. :P

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: January 19, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »

If your screen is big enough I don't know of anything that would stop you. It'd probably be awful to control if you're trying to use touch controls though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: January 19, 2016, 03:32:57 pm »

Probably? Most have sufficient resolution, but it'd likely process turns slowly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: January 19, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »

I have heard that there are specific touch screen bugs.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »

Wow, I'm very annoyed right now.

In my continuing fight against the Kingdom of Mountain, I decided to make a final push on their home world. My Apocalypse Mk IIs, armed with Mk II missiles, proved to be more than a match for everything in the system, and we took up place over their world, leaving the large shipyard complex alone, since it would be a valuable prize.

A transport group dropped off three assault infantry battalions, who, over a couple of weeks, managed to take out the defending infantry.

And then I hit a wall - apparently I needed 220+ points of defensive garrison strength to force their home world to surrender, which was more than existed in my entire empire at that time. So I set to work on building more, while my fleet continued to wait in orbit.

Except that they refused to admit defeat. About once a month, a meson-armed FAC would spit out of their yards. Each would only last about 15 seconds before the laser turrets on my ships would vaporize them, but that was long enough for them to get a single volley off on my ground units, causing all kinds of damage.

Still, work continued apace, and it looked like we'd have the forces needed to take the world in roughly a year.

Except that they just built a PDC, armed with something like 50 mesons, which immediately opened up on my fleet, blowing them to bits before they could respond.

I'm now torn between wanting that world even more, or if I want to just glass everything.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:14 pm »

That's the point at which you drag some terraformers into orbit and add Chlorine to the atmosphere.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: January 19, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »

Or start light bombardment.  If you are occupying their world and do some damage they will surrender with less need of a large occupation force.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: January 19, 2016, 06:43:24 pm »

I recall the Aurora forums and Steve's notes suggested overwhelming force at the beginning of the invasion.  All Missiles unload, drop all troops, shock and awe stuff.  So it is probably too late for that now.

Try packing up and returning with a mad invasion fleet.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: January 19, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »

I've never wanted to go to war with friendly aliens so badly. They're nice and all (even gave me some tech), but man I just want to shoot them for the fun of it. The Meme Regime shall upheld its honor though and treat the People's Republic of Zuckerman with the utmost respect. Up until the point when they start stealing my mineral rich asteroids/planets. And even when they do I'm going to have mixed emotions about it, because I'm not quite sure what their tech looks like. I know for sure that they seem to specialize in particle beams because they gave me some tech for them (which I may very well use against them one day). I think they may be only a few techs ahead of me due to the tonnage to speed ratios, but that's probably not as good an indicator as it could be.

Two things:
  • First of all, they have 4-6 ships just sitting on one of my jump points leading to Alpha Centauri. The point has Meme Regime built jump gates on both sides. I'm guessing what's happening is that the ai is trying to path through the point, but since it is not allied with me it can't use my jump gates. If I had to guess, this could probably be what's making my turns so slow.
  • Secondly, I cannot find their home system for the life of me. This is getting very tedious. I just want to see where they are so that I may conquer them sometime in the future!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: January 19, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »

First of all, they have 4-6 ships just sitting on one of my jump points leading to Alpha Centauri. The point has Meme Regime built jump gates on both sides. I'm guessing what's happening is that the ai is trying to path through the point, but since it is not allied with me it can't use my jump gates. If I had to guess, this could probably be what's making my turns so slow.[/li][/list]
Anyone can use anyone's jump gates. It's why it's such a risk building gates in unexplored systems.

If you're getting slow turns, that shouldn't be the reason.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: January 19, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »

First of all, they have 4-6 ships just sitting on one of my jump points leading to Alpha Centauri. The point has Meme Regime built jump gates on both sides. I'm guessing what's happening is that the ai is trying to path through the point, but since it is not allied with me it can't use my jump gates. If I had to guess, this could probably be what's making my turns so slow.[/li][/list]
    Anyone can use anyone's jump gates. It's why it's such a risk building gates in unexplored systems.

If you're getting slow turns, that shouldn't be the reason.

You confused me for a second. I was convinced that that wasn't the case. :P
    I went back and looked in the intelligence screen.

The image above was taken, again, from the Intelligence screen. Originally, I read "your jump ships" as "your jump gates", leading me to believe that enemy ships could not use my jump gates. My bad.

Still, it confuses me why their ships are just sitting on the jump point doing nothing. As I said previously, there are already jump gates on them so if they're trying to go through it, they should be allowed to. Also, I accidentally gave a small "fighter" equipped with nothing but an engine (I use it to transport teams around) to the friendly ayy lmaos. All it's doing is staying at the planet at which I stationed the space shuttle. What's going on and can I fix it?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17172 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31:25 am »

Any easy way to set up a multi-nation conventional start on Earth? Don't care about them being peaceful. Want to have an all out nuclear war, and see how long it takes to recover.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
    W-we just... wanted our...
    Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17173 on: January 20, 2016, 03:40:49 am »

It has recently dawned on me that military technology is pointless to research. Everything should go into expanding your ability to mine, explore, and construct things. Then after you have all the research labs you could ever need, you plow through the weapon tech to counter whatever ships the enemy has.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17174 on: January 20, 2016, 03:44:45 am »

Any easy way to set up a multi-nation conventional start on Earth? Don't care about them being peaceful. Want to have an all out nuclear war, and see how long it takes to recover.

Spoiler: here (click to show/hide)

note I read somewhere they switch from terribly submissive when Conventional and murderous lunatic when TN, but much has changed so you just have to try and see
    Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1347