Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808498 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17130 on: January 18, 2016, 06:43:15 am »

As you only use them in active sensor range, you could probably save some tons by reducing the range.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17131 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:23 am »

Unrelated question, i know there is engine, had hyper engine ( Still didnt get the tech to research tme maybe i am missing something O.o? ), and one of the spoiler opened up spoiler, is their tech salvageable so my vessel can open *spoiler* too?
Hyper drives were disabled a few versions ago as the engine and fuel changes broke them. One day they'll be back :(
You can't open your own, and I'm pretty certain you can't use theirs.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17132 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:13 am »

I just spent two hours trying to design the missile for my stealth ships. I can't get anywhere near the range I want for these things. Instead of being a long range missile that is used to sneak up on an unsuspecting flagship before separating into a swarm of anti-ship missiles that blow it apart before it can react, I'm building mines that will might or might not get blown apart by enemy missile defenses.
I... I think I might need some sleep. The numbers are starting to blur together. Also I think that is light I see in the window. Yes, sleep sounds good. Except my dreams are probably going to be filled with spreadsheets. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17133 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:29 am »

tried creating a two stage missile?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17134 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:45 am »

all this talk made me reinstall it. I wonder how far I get this time.

edit: what was the fix to get it to run on laptop screens? (or , rather, to be playable. the bottom of the windows are offscreen.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:45:41 am by andrea »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17135 on: January 18, 2016, 11:53:01 am »

edit: what was the fix to get it to run on laptop screens? (or , rather, to be playable. the bottom of the windows are offscreen.)
'allo?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17136 on: January 18, 2016, 11:57:44 am »

I used this http://lifehacker.com/5067076/altmove-adds-functionality-to-your-mouse

dunno if it works on recent windows.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17137 on: January 18, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »

flying dice, thanks! I kew the option was somewhere. I just forgot it was in game :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17138 on: January 18, 2016, 04:37:08 pm »

flying dice, thanks! I kew the option was somewhere. I just forgot it was in game :P
Mm, the dropdown it's in doesn't see much use, so it's not hard to miss.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17139 on: January 18, 2016, 08:04:57 pm »

what started as an easy fight against what appeared an isolated ship became a big clusterfuck when two new contact suddenly appeared to avenge the lame missile cruiser that fell prey on my beam cruisers. using the automated fire controls made everything worse. halfway trough a nasty battle I realized my big, spinal lasers weren't firing.

Spoiler: there were losses (click to show/hide)

intelligence says one of them had 10x5 gauss cannons. 14 of them. I truly hope to salvage at least one...

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17140 on: January 18, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »

what started as an easy fight against what appeared an isolated ship became a big clusterfuck when two new contact suddenly appeared to avenge the lame missile cruiser that fell prey on my beam cruisers. using the automated fire controls made everything worse. halfway trough a nasty battle I realized my big, spinal lasers weren't firing.

Spoiler: there were losses (click to show/hide)

intelligence says one of them had 10x5 gauss cannons. 14 of them. I truly hope to salvage at least one...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17141 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:56 am »

I love that there are fewer warp points in the systems in the newer builds but I'm really having trouble remembering the path to the frontier.  Now I have to edit it so that every system has the number of jumps away from Sol as part of their name.  If you need to get home, just keep jumping to the next lowest number.  Heavens forbid I find a hidden link from the frontier to my core.  Any tips for how to deal with it other than switching between ship orders and the map to coordinated stuff? My frontiers are like 5-8 jumps in 3 completely different directions... no sign of an NPR yet.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17142 on: January 19, 2016, 03:35:44 am »

There is a checkbox on the orders screen that shows populations outside the current system, so you can use that to get back to your homeworld. Using it to get out might be a bit more difficult, since I think it might only show ones with colonists on them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17143 on: January 19, 2016, 03:44:44 am »

TIL

always put vanilla gauss turret instead of CIWS on military ships, with a secondary 1 res max speed smallest range fire control

always check firing configuration manually even if it's extra painful

even if an enemy has loads of beams, it doesn't mean it has loads of fire control. swarms of fighter will make them waste a lot of firepower

always probe enemy missile defence first with a test volley, nothing worse than firing 200 missiles in 25 volleys, expecting to have 180 killed by defences, and then have them all reach the target instead

2pt armor on fighters doesn't do much if the enemy has a 6 strength turreted beam weapon (but you won't know this until too late)

a weapon won't recharge over its recharge rate (duh, but I missed that and brought a way bigger generator)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17144 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:41 am »

well. I found some ruins. Also, found some hostile ships near a small population. thankfully they only had beam weapons, but my scout was unarmed so died. Not much later I also found a system full of wreck from which I most simply bailed out.
didn't lose much, just a geosurvey ship. but those threats aren't far from sol, I have a global warming scenario ( sun gets hotter every year) and Sol is mineral poor ( I see people constantly speaking of how gas giants are endless pits of sorium... how come my gas giants never have it, or only have small quantities?)

I decided to use random tech at the beginning, and it seems I started with hangars, some engine tech, some gauss tech. I suppose the game is pointing me to fighters, so I'll make fighters. Also, I have shields and particle beams, which will fit nicely on the carrier.

edit: bah. having problems with missing msstdfmt... can't apply the fix from OP properly. well, I'll find a way. meanwhile, if I want to make a colony I can just use a freighter or colony ship to drop something on the desired planet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:10:32 am by andrea »
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1347