Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808624 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17055 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:45 pm »

The strange thing is that the ship just appeared out of nowhere, which makes me think there's one of those hidden jump points that I just need to travel through from another system in order to discover. Are wormholes a thing in this game?

You can reorder a survey of the destination system, from uh... some menu, which will reveal any previously hidden jump points. I'm not really sure what you mean by "wormholes" in this context.

I thought I remembered something about wormholes or something. I don't think they were called wormholes though...

Also, what's hyperspace?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: January 15, 2016, 10:09:05 pm »

There are inter-system jump points in some systems, and there appears to be a tech at some point which removes reliance on jump points, but which stars block for a fair amount.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: January 15, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »

Hyperspace is a depreciated mechanic. You used to be able to research a "hyperdrive efficiency" tech for your engines which made them bigger, but also increased their power by a factor of 10 when the ship was far enough away from the star. Useful for exploring the Kuiper belt and reaching those far away B systems.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17058 on: January 15, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »

The strange thing is that the ship just appeared out of nowhere, which makes me think there's one of those hidden jump points that I just need to travel through from another system in order to discover. Are wormholes a thing in this game?

You can reorder a survey of the destination system, from uh... some menu, which will reveal any previously hidden jump points. I'm not really sure what you mean by "wormholes" in this context.

I thought I remembered something about wormholes or something. I don't think they were called wormholes though...
There is one mode of travel I can think of that opens a wormhole, but you'll see it as a fuchsia dot on the screen; it's definitely not hidden.  They'll also only appear in very particular circumstances, which are not active by default.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:00:13 pm by Culise »

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: January 16, 2016, 01:31:30 am »

Whaaaaa???  Just went from 6.XX to 7.10 and noticed that I wasn't finding much for minerals in my home system.  Took a look at why I still didn't have another source of sorium and found that it'd take 26 years to finish the survey of Jupiter alone...

Not sure what is causing it... this is the first time in a while that I've had both grav and geo sensors on a ship at the same time.  I do get an "Error 6 Overflow" every once in a while.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17060 on: January 16, 2016, 10:53:54 am »

7.10 breaks saves
Highly Opinionated Fool

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: January 16, 2016, 03:01:49 pm »

Is there any way to scrap/refit fighters?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: January 16, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »

Refitting is no, scrapping is check if it can be done at a shipyard otherwise abandon ship and salvage.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: January 16, 2016, 03:55:12 pm »

Refitting is no, scrapping is check if it can be done at a shipyard otherwise abandon ship and salvage.
Fighter can be scrapped but not reffited in the industry tab, click on stock pile you will see all ship component you have prebuilt or salvaged/recovered from your wreck or refit orders and also your missile supplies, dont forget to scrap these old gen 1 missile if you never did it and has better one.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17064 on: January 16, 2016, 06:05:42 pm »

They're back boys! This is the Epsilon Eridani system. The thermal signature started from the same exact spot their other ship appeared at, which just reinforces my assumption that there's just a hidden jump point there. Fortunately, it looks pretty slow, so it's either a massive, OP ship or their tech is fairly low. Hopefully the latter!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: January 16, 2016, 06:32:32 pm »

If you can observe him jumping in, you might be able to identify the JP without flying through from the other side. Might need active sensors for that.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: January 16, 2016, 06:36:13 pm »

oh god pls no

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17067 on: January 16, 2016, 06:52:21 pm »

Probably a civilian ship.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17068 on: January 16, 2016, 07:30:26 pm »

Probably a civilian ship.

Hopefully.

By the way, after it appeared, it went straight for the YZ Ceti jump point, but it's just sitting on it. It isn't moving (not that I have a problem with that.)

If anyone is interested, here's the race and flag picture. I am currently trying to make contact with them through diplomacy, but my best diplomats are still kinda meh so it's taking a while to establish communications with the aliens.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: January 16, 2016, 07:55:06 pm »

With that size and action, it may be a gate constructor.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1347