Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808824 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17040 on: January 15, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »

Is there some way of creating radiation and dust in the atmosphere using SM tools? My attempts to search it are failing, and my experimentation with SM mode is turning up nothing.
Open the economics window (F2). At the bottom-right find and press the "SM Mods" button. Towards the bottom right under the heading of "System Body" there are two entry boxes for atmospheric dust and radiation. Set those to whatever you like.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17041 on: January 15, 2016, 04:36:23 pm »

Is there some way of creating radiation and dust in the atmosphere using SM tools? My attempts to search it are failing, and my experimentation with SM mode is turning up nothing.
Yep, pretty easily.
Make sure there is a colony on the body you are wanting to alter.
Make sure SM Mode is enabled.
Open the colony managment window.
Hit the SM Mods button at the bottom right of that window.
Atmospheric dust and radiation levels can be set on the window that is opened.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: January 15, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »

The cool kids spawn unfriendly ships to drop missiles on the planet. But I guess the other method works as well.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17043 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:18 pm »

GUYS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do I do diplomacy?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:44:54 pm by coleslaw35 »

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17044 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:13 pm »

Hey, can we no longer remove atmosphere from planets?  I remember Venus always being the 3rd planet in Sol that I usually tackled but I don't seem to be able to bleed off atm anymore.  I see that the pressure is 100 atm, but I have a large empire that has plenty of resources to leave parked on the planet when not in use elsewhere.   

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17045 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:19 pm »

Hey, can we no longer remove atmosphere from planets?  I remember Venus always being the 3rd planet in Sol that I usually tackled but I don't seem to be able to bleed off atm anymore.  I see that the pressure is 100 atm, but I have a large empire that has plenty of resources to leave parked on the planet when not in use elsewhere.

You're still able to remove atmosphere. All you have to do is choose the gas you want to REMOVE and then leave the "Add Gas to Atmosphere" box unchecked. It should start removing the selected component from the atmosphere.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: January 15, 2016, 07:59:26 pm »

Huh, so I was doing it right.  Looks like the problem is that 100% of the population is devoted to "agricultural and environmental" which is why nothing was happening.  I've got almost 4 million people there but I still don't have a single free worker...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17047 on: January 15, 2016, 09:06:08 pm »

GUYS

How do I do diplomacy?

First, set your fleet to go home.  Staying in the same system as the aliens will only annoy them.

Next, you need to create a diplomatic team.  Have you created a Geological Team yet?  If so, it's the same process, although it doesn't matter where you create the diplomatic team.

If not,
Create a team by first opening the Economics menu, then selecting the Teams tab.  Then, change the team type to "Diplomatic" and check your top 5 characters (although if there is a tie for last place, you might want to see if somebody would be more useful elsewhere, such as someone that has a high Survey or Training score).  Then select "Create Team" and you've got your first Diplomatic team!

Finally, select the Foreign Intelligence, switch to Diplomacy (or whatever its called, where you see the alien and not their ships), and change "No diplomatic team selected" to your new team.  Then press "Initiate Communications" and hope for the best!

Although,

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17048 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:33 pm »

Arumba is starting to do an LP.

Should we takes bets until he stops playing?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17049 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »

Doesnt seem precursor to me the speed/thermal signature doesnt seem to fit their engine type, speed and thermal to me indicate a TL3 surveyor class ship. Please keep me in the loop i wanna see if my assumption is correct :D. The fact he is alone + the fact the ship didnt activate the active sensor. Unless it did right after..... Man now i feel like im working at norad guesstimating the class based on thermal signature and speed...... You can clearly see i have been playing for far too long.... Or not enough depends wich way you see it....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17050 on: January 15, 2016, 09:28:40 pm »

GUYS

How do I do diplomacy?

First, set your fleet to go home.  Staying in the same system as the aliens will only annoy them.

Next, you need to create a diplomatic team.  Have you created a Geological Team yet?  If so, it's the same process, although it doesn't matter where you create the diplomatic team.

If not,
Create a team by first opening the Economics menu, then selecting the Teams tab.  Then, change the team type to "Diplomatic" and check your top 5 characters (although if there is a tie for last place, you might want to see if somebody would be more useful elsewhere, such as someone that has a high Survey or Training score).  Then select "Create Team" and you've got your first Diplomatic team!

Finally, select the Foreign Intelligence, switch to Diplomacy (or whatever its called, where you see the alien and not their ships), and change "No diplomatic team selected" to your new team.  Then press "Initiate Communications" and hope for the best!

Although,

Y'know, I'd do that if the ship didn't just leave as soon as it arrived. :P

Doesnt seem precursor to me the speed/thermal signature doesnt seem to fit their engine type, speed and thermal to me indicate a TL3 surveyor class ship. Please keep me in the loop i wanna see if my assumption is correct :D. The fact he is alone + the fact the ship didnt activate the active sensor. Unless it did right after..... Man now i feel like im working at norad guesstimating the class based on thermal signature and speed...... You can clearly see i have been playing for far too long.... Or not enough depends wich way you see it....

It appeared in the system on Epsilon Eridani-A II's deep space tracking sensors and made a B-line for the (uncolonized, unscanned) Alpha Centauri system. It activated it's active sensors (500-ish thousand kilometers range) while in the asteroid belt of Epsilon Eridani  and left them on as they traveled to the Alpha Centauri jump gate. The sensors encompassed numerous civilian ships and even passed extremely close to many of them but never redirected course or took hostile actions. I sent a scout through Alpha Centauri and had it fly around but it discovered nothing.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17051 on: January 15, 2016, 09:39:34 pm »

Then it is a surveyor ship from a NPR most likely generated at the start of the game and now surveying system around or close-ish to their own depending how long the clock has been ticking, so go ahead initiate communication and if the initial diplomacy isnt terrible try to assign a really gfood diplo team and in a few year they will share their research with you!, or you could go cold-war and assign lots of spy-team if you find one of their planet and create a *dummy* colony to assign them on it so they can infiltrate, or full on war-monger and invade them as soon you find them!

If you keep poking past the first contact system you will find their homeworld, if your current diplomacy rating ( found in the allien inteligence window button on the far right ) isnt that hgih i would recommend not doing untill you have a sufficient war-fleet or wait untill you are at least friendly or have stealth ship to avoid diplomatic repercussion of having ship in their *space*.

Just in case they are xenophobic because they could be, i would also suggest having either a small war fleet not far from that jumppoint or design a very long duration buoy with active sensor to detect them as soon they come in your system with other *mine* system wich use a big ass missile with no engine and multiple separating warhead on contact, could make a good alpha strike on unsuspecting possible military encounter in your backyard the time you get your military in fighting shape.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17052 on: January 15, 2016, 09:45:27 pm »

*snippy snip*

The strange thing is that the ship just appeared out of nowhere, which makes me think there's one of those hidden jump points that I just need to travel through from another system in order to discover. Are wormholes a thing in this game?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17053 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

If anyone wants to see, here's my system map so far. These are pretty off from where they actually are in regards to Sol, but it's not like it really matters. :P

There's no doubt that I can tidy up this arrangement a tad, but I'm too lazy.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17054 on: January 15, 2016, 10:01:37 pm »

The strange thing is that the ship just appeared out of nowhere, which makes me think there's one of those hidden jump points that I just need to travel through from another system in order to discover. Are wormholes a thing in this game?

You can reorder a survey of the destination system, from uh... some menu, which will reveal any previously hidden jump points. I'm not really sure what you mean by "wormholes" in this context.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1347