Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808809 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17025 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:09 am »

Perfectly normal. If you look at the galactic map, you'll see that there even is a symbol for stars without anything.
It will have normal survey locations though.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17026 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:24 am »

Along with randomly pre-placed jump gates.  They won't always be on both sides either.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17027 on: January 15, 2016, 10:45:45 am »

just started a new game.

I saw a gate on a sol jump point, and proxima centauri was on the other side

problem is, that star is completely and totally void of everything. no planets, no asteroids, no comets. empty. is it a bug, some setting I messed up at the beginning, or just a normal chance?

I'd suggest placing a Civilian Recreation ship in the system with several large fuel tanks and set as a Tanker.  It is literally the only presence you can have in the system.

Orbital Habitats need something to anchor to, hence why they're called Orbital Habitats instead of Space Stations.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17028 on: January 15, 2016, 10:48:28 am »

Or just leave that system be. It's not like you need a presence in every system.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17029 on: January 15, 2016, 10:51:22 am »

Or just leave that system be. It's not like you need a presence in every system.

That reminds me, I forgot to mention sensors.  Size 0.1 Active Sensors won't make a civilian design into a military one.  And you can make huge passives as well.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17030 on: January 15, 2016, 11:04:53 am »

That reminds me, I forgot to mention sensors.  Size 0.1 Active Sensors won't make a civilian design into a military one.  And you can make huge passives as well.
I can't remember if larger passives weren't military, but I do know you can build civilian active sensors can be built up to size 1. Though, it may be sub-optimal for these purpouses because the ranges are kinda meh at that size, and they draw a gigantic bead on the vessel in question for enemies to home in on.
Probably a better idea to design specialized sensor buoys, one type for pure EM, another type for pure thermals, and just drop them down at each jump point in the system in question.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17031 on: January 15, 2016, 01:28:04 pm »

I do drop colony left and right, it's a nice way to obtain free infrastructure for when I have a planet I need and I want to colonize it quickly

Edit: one more question: I created a new species, -30% to gravity. Set the gmc on the planet screen to that mutation. I've 1 center, I suspect I'll need more, but anyway, where do you check the mutation status?

nvm I found them it counts them as another earth colony
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:57:51 pm by LoSboccacc »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17032 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure those aren't simulated and are infinite, unless you mean reducing crew time?

It looks like a fighter, so you could just have a Carrier join the fleet of the ship, then recover it.  That will keep the crew alive, as they'll use the Carrier's life support.

Sadly, I don't have any carriers capable of taking a 30,000 ton armed tanker aboard. That one guy who isn't dead is the only one who hasn't died.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17033 on: January 15, 2016, 02:39:09 pm »

If nothing else, a tug boat will eventually get ya there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17034 on: January 15, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure those aren't simulated and are infinite, unless you mean reducing crew time?

It looks like a fighter, so you could just have a Carrier join the fleet of the ship, then recover it.  That will keep the crew alive, as they'll use the Carrier's life support.

Sadly, I don't have any carriers capable of taking a 30,000 ton armed tanker aboard. That one guy who isn't dead is the only one who hasn't died.

He probably ate the rest of the crew, after pumping all the air out of their lungs and absorbing all the water from him.
And I'm pretty sure his name is Urist.  And he probably has a cat.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17035 on: January 15, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »

He probably ate the rest of the crew, after pumping all the air out of their lungs and absorbing all the water from him.
And now I want to play a space hulk roguelike survival simulator

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17036 on: January 15, 2016, 03:32:11 pm »

like this? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/30/definitely-not-space-hulk-alien-assault/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17037 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »

like this? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/30/definitely-not-space-hulk-alien-assault/
Not really a survival or roguelike but sure. I meant more something like Doom RL set on a space station with some more survival elements. Like imagine System Shock 2 but roguelike ascii

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17038 on: January 15, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »

Sounds like Space Station 13: Genetics Department.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17039 on: January 15, 2016, 03:59:57 pm »

Sounds like Space Station 13: Genetics Department.
I guess, but with less silly fuckery than SS13. Anyway I've derailed this enough. :P
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1347