Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808830 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17010 on: January 14, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »

They act as habitats, just only when located at a body that has had a colony designated on it. All of the things for which you need them as workers out of the cryo and in the habitation, such as research, construction, etc., require you to be at a colony anyway.

A migrant fleet/battlestar refugee fleet is actually much easier to create, as you are far less likely to run into the various overflow limits.

but how do you be a migrant fleet if you can't have people doing stuff on the fleet, like the one in mass effect? They'd send out resource gatherers to supply the fleet with resources, and could still do stuff. Not just frozen in cryo pods, that kinda defeats the purpose lol. That is the "migrant" fleet I meant.

Guess I'll have to just forget about the ME migrant fleet lol. Maybe one day in the future a more advanced aurora style 4x will let it happen. But if aurora doesn't let you do that, then I doubt any 4x space game will have that feature any time soon lol. I'll try again in 10+ years :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:42:55 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »

You can already harvest fuel and minerals (albeit only from asteroids and comets) without setting anything down, and with 7.2 you'll be able to maintain ships as well. You can tow shipyards. Basically the only limitation is that you need to briefly take root to produce ships, installations, missiles, and MSP. Research as well, but you can always generate a totally isolated system, drop a population and a set of labs on it, and use that to simulate research taking place on shipboard.

Technically you could do the same thing with ship/missile/MSP production by SMing the ships to the fleet, missiles into magazines, and supplies into storage after the production runs finish, but that would require you to more or less handwave the harvesting of minerals for production unless you SMed the cargo ships to the isolated simulation-system, dropped off their minerals, and SMed them back to their old location every time you wanted to start building again.

So basically you can run a totally independent migrant fleet (with maintenance off, and with it on as well after 7.2 is out), but you have to run all the production and research in a system with a population that technically doesn't exist to simulate onboard work.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: January 14, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

So instead of re-creating the migrant fleet from Mass Effect. I'll go back to sorta my story I was deciding to go with anyway. I just won't try to re-create the migrant fleet, but it'll be a bit similar. Just not really the same as the one in ME.

Its the year 3018, and Earth only has 250 million people living on it. Up to the year 2851 there had been world war 3, world war 4 and the last war which lasted for over 200 years, world war 5. Earth has been turned into a mostly unhabitable planet (going to spacemaster terraform it), and most of the remaining population lives in the oceans. Animal and plant life on the surface had been driven to near extinction, with very little remaining. There also had still been racial wars, religious wars and most people had been ruled by dictators or corrupt governments.

However, during explorations of the deep seas (left uncharted for centuries), the year 2852 changed humanity. There they discovered remnants of a very ancient alien civilization, which united the remaining people of Earth. A brief war did follow to gain power, but a secretive religious group called The Covenant had formed around this alien tech. They quickly united the people of Earth (with some bloodshed) and gave humanity one goal. To leave the confines of the dead Earth, and find a new planet or solar system to call home. There, The Covenant suggested that to show that the human race was united, they were to construct a massive space station (making it a PDC, and less than 100 million tons, right now its 25 million) above Earth to act as a defense for those who may decide to stay, and as an historical landmark for centuries to come.

Skip ahead to present day, 3018. As the station nears completion, humanity sent scout ships to the various known bodies of Sol. What they found was a very large, powerful and thriving human population on Mars and various nearby moons. Way back in the early 2000s, some of the 1% of Earth, scientists and explorers had paid for travel to Mars. This was before World War 3 started, though not long before. Once the war started, Mars and the settlers there had long been forgotten and they were left to fend for themselves.

These "humans", who named themselves Martians (I know right, so cliche :P), also had mutations from adaptation of living so long on Mars. Their skin is more red, and their ears are elongated, as well as longer and bigger noses.

These Martians however, not the friendliest people to Humans of Earth. War has not started, but there is much tension between the two species. Making The Covenant very worried of the future, and if they'll manage to migrate in time before the Martians enslave them. Though having such a powerful PDC in the orbit of Earth, as well as slightly advanced technology due to the ancient alien civ, may be the only thing preventing the Martians from declaring all out war.

So this game takes place on a pretty much dead Earth, with threat of Martians (long ago migrants to Mars from Earth) with a goal of leaving Sol and finding a suitable solar system to settle in.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: January 14, 2016, 02:12:22 pm »

You can already harvest fuel and minerals (albeit only from asteroids and comets) without setting anything down, and with 7.2 you'll be able to maintain ships as well. You can tow shipyards. Basically the only limitation is that you need to briefly take root to produce ships, installations, missiles, and MSP. Research as well, but you can always generate a totally isolated system, drop a population and a set of labs on it, and use that to simulate research taking place on shipboard.

Technically you could do the same thing with ship/missile/MSP production by SMing the ships to the fleet, missiles into magazines, and supplies into storage after the production runs finish, but that would require you to more or less handwave the harvesting of minerals for production unless you SMed the cargo ships to the isolated simulation-system, dropped off their minerals, and SMed them back to their old location every time you wanted to start building again.

So basically you can run a totally independent migrant fleet (with maintenance off, and with it on as well after 7.2 is out), but you have to run all the production and research in a system with a population that technically doesn't exist to simulate onboard work.

hmm, well with the above post I made and then this quoted post. I'll have to think of what I want to do. This could work with my original plan that I wanted to do, or I could just go with what I posted storywise. Hm...well I'll think about it throughout the day

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: January 14, 2016, 03:29:16 pm »

uhm i have a question, i am trying to do the missing dll fix but what is meant with that line:

3. Open up the command line as administrator and type the second to last line outlined in red

what second to last line? and what command line?
The screenshot in the original post is broken.
Try this thread in the aurora forum.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=2031.0
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: January 14, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »

How do I make ships that resupply life-support resources?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: January 14, 2016, 04:27:53 pm »

Recreation module?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: January 14, 2016, 04:33:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure those aren't simulated and are infinite, unless you mean reducing crew time?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure those aren't simulated and are infinite, unless you mean reducing crew time?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: January 14, 2016, 04:40:28 pm »

Looka like your crew quarters broke down due to no maintenance points left.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: January 14, 2016, 06:00:16 pm »

Each crew quarters provide life support(LF) for a certain number of crew.  If you take damage and crew quarters are damaged then your crew is going to start dying.  You can scuttle the ship to save the crew.  All that will do is allow you to add those crew/officer back into your pool, you won't see a marketable improvement in a ship made in the near future.

Ships with spare crew berths can survive longer with rescued crew, and ships with cryo berths will put rescued crew into those berths to prevent the rescued crew from overworking the ships LF.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: January 14, 2016, 06:03:42 pm »

Each crew quarters provide life support(LF) for a certain number of crew.  If you take damage and crew quarters are damaged then your crew is going to start dying.  You can scuttle the ship to save the crew.  All that will do is allow you to add those crew/officer back into your pool, you won't see a marketable improvement in a ship made in the near future.

Ships with spare crew berths can survive longer with rescued crew, and ships with cryo berths will put rescued crew into those berths to prevent the rescued crew from overworking the ships LF.
Ohhhhhh i didnt know about cryo thingy! Now it make sense to have small cryo pods on military ship! I always wondered why somebody would use them, good to know! I was placing more crew quarter than needed due to rescuing/capturing hundreds of crew member during my offensive campaign, i could have saved lots of place witg cryopods.... gneh.

This game has soo much that even after a few year i still learn something new.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:45 pm »

It looks like a fighter, so you could just have a Carrier join the fleet of the ship, then recover it.  That will keep the crew alive, as they'll use the Carrier's life support.

Next, you need maintenance supplies, provided your ship can store enough to fix the life support.  There are several ways to transfer over the maintenance supplies, most accessible through the fleet orders menu.  Then, on the ship status menu, select Damage Control, and tell your ship to fix the life support.

But as mentioned previously, the crew may die if your Carrier does not get to your ship in time.  In that case, abandoning ship is the only option to keep them alive.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: January 14, 2016, 11:25:29 pm »

Yeah you had a breakdown like the other guys were saying.  Thing needs repairs.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:27 am »

just started a new game.

I saw a gate on a sol jump point, and proxima centauri was on the other side

problem is, that star is completely and totally void of everything. no planets, no asteroids, no comets. empty. is it a bug, some setting I messed up at the beginning, or just a normal chance?
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1347