Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808890 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16965 on: January 12, 2016, 05:23:37 pm »

I've got some fighters in orbit, but the cheeky bastards won't transition to their ground hangar. Any idea why?

If no one else answers in a bit, I'll get on my save and see if I can help find out. Can you even park fighters on PDCs?

Though, I guess we can start simple: does it even have fighter bays/landing deck/hangar space/whatever it is on it? :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:49:03 pm by coleslaw35 »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16966 on: January 12, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice. Where'd you get that flag and species pic?
The wonderful world of Google Images.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16967 on: January 12, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »

I've got some fighters in orbit, but the cheeky bastards won't transition to their ground hangar. Any idea why?

If no one else answers in a bit, I'll get on my save and see if I can help find out. Can you even park fighters on PDCs?

Though, I guess we can start simple: does it even have fighter bays/landing deck/hangar space/whatever it is on it? :P
You have to assign the fighters specifically to the PDC before you can land them using  the normal click. They can also be landed using the Task Group order for such, but be warned as doing this when there is not enough space may end up with vessels vanishing into the aether.
Noticed an alien JG suddenly appear on a previously-explored JP. It was funny, because none of the worlds in either system had had NPRs on them. So I popped back into the system that JP connected to, Alpha Centauri, and found a lovely stable wormhole one jump from Sol, with the point already gated.

I don't even have any warships yet, and my military tech is still pretty pathetic. Time to start cranking out meson FACs and praying. :V
PDCs. You absolutely want PDCs. What I use is one with missiles (15 size 3 missile launchers, or more of you want loads of PYOOM), a PDC with relatively large active sensors in several range bands so your other PDCs can actually fire on enemies bearing down on your home planet, a PDC with low range turreted mesons rated for the highest velocity possible and set to Final Fire mode, and a PDC with some hangars to store fighters planetside. That's my Starters Kit for PDCs at least.
If you're not against using it so late in the game, feel free to use Fast OOB Creation under Spacemaster menu, it has a point-buy display available which basically is supposed to represent how many vessels you were to start with at game-start.

I don't think I conveyed the tech level I'm at right now well enough, or how small my industrial base is. Pumping out one decent-sized PDC would take months or years with every factory working on it, and my missile tech is all at or below the second tech in each respective chain. I also have only 60ish ordinance factories. I can't assume I'll get lucky, and my tech is shit all around except for sensors and drives. All I really have is a decent three-slipway military yard and magneto-plasma drives. Hence, meson FACs--I'll need lots to soak up the plasma torp fire, but they're cheap and fast to build, and the wonderful thing about mesons is that TL1 mesons can still wreck anything that they can be put in range of; I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of laying down enough missile fire to batter down the shields on Invader cruisers.
Like I mentioned, if you're desperate, use the Fast OOB option that I mentioned. It's under the Spacemaster menu.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: January 12, 2016, 06:27:54 pm »

You have to assign the fighters specifically to the PDC before you can land them using  the normal click. They can also be landed using the Task Group order for such, but be warned as doing this when there is not enough space may end up with vessels vanishing into the aether.

Gah, iceball! I was just about to tell him too! :P

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16969 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:39 pm »

It's Xcom coleslaw :p .
Death to the Aaaaaylmaos! The commander demands skulls for the flying avengethrone.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: January 12, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »

Death to the Aaaaaylmaos!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »

It is terrifying, honestly that face gives me shivers.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: January 12, 2016, 11:37:38 pm »

-snip-
Like I mentioned, if you're desperate, use the Fast OOB option that I mentioned. It's under the Spacemaster menu.
[/quote]
I know what Fast OB is. I also know that I'm not willing to break my own rules about SMing stuff in after the initial setup, especially when it's for the sake of making the game less interesting (i.e. I'd rather fight it out in space and, win or lose, not drag things out trying to shoot down plasma torps with shit-tier mesons for however long they decide to bombard me).  ;)

After start I touch SM mode for two reasons: to fix bugged ships &c., and to resolve lengthy delays involving NPRs that want to drag fights out. Anything else is probably cheating, at least in terms of the rules I set for myself.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16973 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:10 pm »

It is terrifying, honestly that face gives me shivers.

Does this make it any better? The similarities are uncanny.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: January 13, 2016, 12:08:18 am »

Dammit berk I told you not to go down there!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #16975 on: January 13, 2016, 08:26:00 am »

Well, Aurora seems to be harder Sci-fi than Stellaris, so...

There are several major problems of building a structure that large:
  • Materials required. You'd need to completely extract the metals from several planets and moons to get enough raw materials.
  • Comets and asteroids (or any other body on an elliptical/parabolic/hyperbolic trajectory). If you don't spot and stop these things in time, they are going to make life miserable for the repair crews.
  • Finally, and this is the biggest problem, Gravity. It will be a major pain to prevent tidal forces from messing with the structure during construction. Even worse, as soon as the structure completely surrounds the star, the net force of gravitational attraction from the star becomes zero, causing the structure to start to drift. What do you think happens if/when the structure drifts into the star it was built around?

And considering how much material is in a typical Aurora system, you'd probably need multiple systems worth of materials just to make a small one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:27:47 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: January 13, 2016, 08:28:24 am »

Talk of dyson spheres in the Stellaris thread got me thinking...

Is it possible to make a dyson sphere in this? Not the 'ball around the sun' kind but the 'large sphere of satellites' kind (albeit ring shaped given the 2D nature of Aurora)? I'm pretty sure there's no photovoltaic panels in this game so it'd be rather pointless, but I'm still curious.

you mean just as a fleet formation? it'd be pointless around the sun, but could actually be a good distribution against an hostile jump point since missile only retargets as far as their onboard sensor see

the fleet is arranged around the leader so having n+1 tugs carrying n satellite could move them in formation, drop them and return home that way

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16977 on: January 13, 2016, 11:48:58 am »

There are no real mega constructions in Aurora. There aren't any limits on how big ships can get, and I've seen folks SM billions tons ships.

But you can't make disk around a planet, or planet cities, or dyson spheres, or niven rings or halo rings.  ANd even if you could, I doubt any race in the game could afford it. You're pretty mineral poor through out.

Which is great to make the player explore and expand.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: January 13, 2016, 12:08:17 pm »

Technically, you could SM in a billion ton orbital habitat.  Park it at a planet and imagine it is a mega structure surrounding a planet or whatever.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: January 13, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

There aren't any limits on how big ships can get, and I've seen folks SM billions tons ships.
Yes, there are. I don't remember the limits off the top of my head, but there are a bunch of different hard caps on shipbuilding beyond which the ships start to generate overflow errors, and they collectively result in an effective hard limit in the low millions of tons.

I don't doubt that someone clicked past a bunch of errors while designing something and managed to SM it into game, but it's not the sort of thing you could actually play with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1347