Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809147 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16875 on: January 10, 2016, 04:28:18 am »

Five men aren't that important. Crewmen aren't taken from your general population, but from a "crew pool" created by your academy (unless you decide to staff your ships with conscripts in the design window), at a rate depending on the number of academies and your racial training level (you can choose between less crewmen with more experience or more crewmen with less experience).

Crew gain experiences over time. I know that beam weapon accuracy is improved by crew training, but not sure what else. If your scrap a ship, the crew is returned to the crew pool, and the experience is "spread around". If you loose too many men, you might end up having to staff your ships with less efficient conscript.

Also, aliens can capture your crew pods and get intelligence by interrogating your crews.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: January 10, 2016, 04:31:20 am »

Five men aren't that important. Crewmen aren't taken from your general population, but from a "crew pool" created by your academy (unless you decide to staff your ships with conscripts in the design window), at a rate depending on the number of academies and your racial training level (you can choose between less crewmen with more experience or more crewmen with less experience).

Crew gain experiences over time. I know that beam weapon accuracy is improved by crew training, but not sure what else. If your scrap a ship, the crew is returned to the crew pool, and the experience is "spread around". If you loose too many men, you might end up having to staff your ships with less efficient conscript.

Also, aliens can capture your crew pods and get intelligence by interrogating your crews.

Is it possible for me to view this crew pool in order to see how much potential crew I have?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: January 10, 2016, 04:35:37 am »

Yes, it's somewhere, I think in the team window.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16878 on: January 10, 2016, 06:04:48 am »

Is it possible for me to test my missiles on some asteroids? Can I just straight up wipe useless assteroids off the system map for my own entertainment scientific missile prototype research?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:04 am »

No.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:01 am »

Spawn a player controlled NPR , spawn them some ships, blow them up.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16881 on: January 10, 2016, 08:18:32 am »

So i built a couple fighter that i left in orbit, thinking it wouldnt need maintenance due to the maintenance fac on the ground... well i was wrong and since they were a fighter i didnt include maintenance or engineering bay. I do have a PDC but even with engineering space and maintenance bay they still cannot hold maintenance supplies wich mean i cannot repair my fighter no matter what....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do have maintenance bay but cannot install engineering bay. Now i have a deadweight fighter wich cannot do anything, and if they see a fight and some manage to survive... well wont be fixable unless i bring a hanguar ship and micro manage the fighter transfer and all that...
As you found out, fighters are not maintained by maintenance facilities. Instead they must be placed into hangars, either on ships or on PDC's. While in the hangar they will be maintained and repaired from the host ships maintenance supplies and by the engineering of the host ship. Note that while fighters in PDC's will be maintained, there was a bug that meant that they would not be repaired. I haven't tested if this still applies in the current version.

They will also, as long as you ensure there are sufficient pilot berths by adding additional crew quarters to the host ship(you will need to check the keep extra crew quarters checkbox in the top right when designing the ship class), not increment the deployment clock while docked. Due to this you can get away with very short deployment times on your fighters, and you receive a reduction in required crew if your deployment time is 0.5 months or less and a further reduction if it is 0.1 months or less. The fighter will receive r&r, reducing the deployment clock at the same time as the host ship. Fighters will also receive fleet training if hosted on a ship undergoing fleet training itself.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:54 am »

Man, I shudder to think of what circumstances would force you to staff ships with conscripts. The only thing I can think of is if your design strategy is based mass numbers of small ships, you only have one planet that produces crew, you don't have enough TN to replace your losses and expand your industry, and you're in a war of attrition versus a vastly superior NPR. Basically a situation you can't win, but you can delay losing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: January 10, 2016, 11:59:19 am »

Any scenario where you start with a tiny pop? I also tend to set my racial training level much higher, so that leaves me with less crew.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: January 10, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »

I ran out of crew last time I set high racial training level, after that my commercial ships became conscripted.
So the aurora forum is pretty sick ATM, but there's a lot of activity on the aurora reddit, steve actually just made a reddit account for it. I wonder how long his sanity will last there, reddit is a terrible format for this sort of thing :s
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: January 10, 2016, 12:31:52 pm »

Any scenario where you start with a tiny pop? I also tend to set my racial training level much higher, so that leaves me with less crew.
Any scenario like that is also going to have a correspondingly tiny industrial base. The last one I did (a high-tech "lost colony" sort of schtick, with the premise that humanity had advanced through the T/N sciences without figuring out Jump Drives and fled Sol with STL sleeper ships) had 5m starting population, and it took decades just to get to the point where I could field a handful of FACs.

I mean, yes, if you leave all your giant small-town-population sized commercial ships using crew from your military academies, sure.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16886 on: January 10, 2016, 12:41:36 pm »

I once did a 'homeworld lost' style scenario where you arrive in a system with a small fleet of ships, about 10 million people in cryostasis, and orbital habitats enough to house them all. No factories or mines, but I had asteroid mining ships and 5 or so construction brigades.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16887 on: January 10, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »

I too did a scenario like that.  Small world on the outskirts of a system, tiny pop, enough inf to support them for a few years, almost no commercial ships or industry but a rather large military supported by a large hanger PDC. 

Also put a NPR in the inner part of the same system.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16888 on: January 10, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »

That's an interesting idea. Start with a fair bit of tech and put a non-TN NPR in the system. Conquer them and use forced labor units to build your empire.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

After watching battlestar galactica, I cannot stop thinking how someone could make a custom scenario about in with this game.

The battlestar galactica, civilian ships, tillium (sorium) refinery ship, and of course cylons.
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1347