Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809209 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16845 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:47 am »

Should be noted that large active sensors tends to draw enemy fire. You'll have to balance the space savings of having less active sensors that ships in your Task Groups with the risk that your task group can be more easily blinded.

Also, you can get around without active sensors by making missiles with sensors and shooting them at waypoints near the enemy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16846 on: January 09, 2016, 03:29:48 am »

What exactly happens when I release a colony as its own independent empire? Is there a bad side to it other than no taxes from that colony's population? I currently have a 0.4 million pop colony on Vesta (an asteroid. Founded the colony there as a way to play around with the underground infrastructure thing) and once that asteroid is mined out, I don't want to have to mess with it anymore due to the constant complaints from my inability to build enough underground infrastructure to accomodate the growing population. I'm assuming that what could happen is that the newly independent empire would, least worringly, "steal" my potential mining colonies or at worse, if it were strong enough (which I heavily doubt considering it's only got 400,000 people), declare war on me.
It becomes a new player controlled race, so it'll do whatever you tell it to.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16847 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:29 am »

What exactly happens when I release a colony as its own independent empire? Is there a bad side to it other than no taxes from that colony's population? I currently have a 0.4 million pop colony on Vesta (an asteroid. Founded the colony there as a way to play around with the underground infrastructure thing) and once that asteroid is mined out, I don't want to have to mess with it anymore due to the constant complaints from my inability to build enough underground infrastructure to accomodate the growing population. I'm assuming that what could happen is that the newly independent empire would, least worringly, "steal" my potential mining colonies or at worse, if it were strong enough (which I heavily doubt considering it's only got 400,000 people), declare war on me.
It becomes a new player controlled race, so it'll do whatever you tell it to.

Does that do anything for me?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16848 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:51 am »

It... Makes the population have its own empire? What exactly do you want/not understand about that?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16849 on: January 09, 2016, 03:47:40 am »

You can have several "player controlled Empire", and you can switch from one to the other at any time. That's how Steve manages his massive games with 10+ Empires on Earth. It's not possible to create a NPC from a player Empire because the AI cannot manage everything that is in the game, and it would create issue if a NPC had stuff it couldn't manage (carrier-based fighters until recently couldn't be used by NPCs for example).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16850 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:05 am »

It... Makes the population have its own empire? What exactly do you want/not understand about that?

I'm not sure how to word what I want to say! :P

You can have several "player controlled Empire", and you can switch from one to the other at any time. That's how Steve manages his massive games with 10+ Empires on Earth. It's not possible to create a NPC from a player Empire because the AI cannot manage everything that is in the game, and it would create issue if a NPC had stuff it couldn't manage (carrier-based fighters until recently couldn't be used by NPCs for example).

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16851 on: January 09, 2016, 06:22:50 am »

For a more practical answer - it doesn't provide any mechanical benefit.  You gain nothing for having multiple empires.  If anything, you just sacrifice taxes.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16852 on: January 09, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

How does a ship commander's rank influence his ability to command a ship? Is there a downside to assigning a simple, lowly lieutenant commander in charge of a, for example, 300 crew cargo ship? What if I assigned the same lieutenant commander to a 300 crew warship? I understand that the lieutenant commander is less skilled than, say, a commander, and would be less effective in combat, but besides warfare is there a downside to assigning lower skilled officers to larger ships? Like, is there a crew limit or something that an officer can command effectively?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16853 on: January 09, 2016, 08:32:45 pm »

Their ranks actually mean almost nothing. You can have exceptionally skilled low-ranking officers serving under mediocre but politically savvy high ranking officer.

Skill is separate from rank, but higher ranked people tend towards more skilled because skills help with promotion

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16854 on: January 09, 2016, 09:08:47 pm »

Their ranks actually mean almost nothing. You can have exceptionally skilled low-ranking officers serving under mediocre but politically savvy high ranking officer.

Skill is separate from rank, but higher ranked people tend towards more skilled because skills help with promotion

Interesting. Thanks!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16855 on: January 09, 2016, 11:08:10 pm »

So i built a couple fighter that i left in orbit, thinking it wouldnt need maintenance due to the maintenance fac on the ground... well i was wrong and since they were a fighter i didnt include maintenance or engineering bay. I do have a PDC but even with engineering space and maintenance bay they still cannot hold maintenance supplies wich mean i cannot repair my fighter no matter what....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do have maintenance bay but cannot install engineering bay. Now i have a deadweight fighter wich cannot do anything, and if they see a fight and some manage to survive... well wont be fixable unless i bring a hanguar ship and micro manage the fighter transfer and all that...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16856 on: January 09, 2016, 11:16:11 pm »

I actually started playing this game not too long ago, like a week or so. Watched a guy named quill18's let's play of it.

I really like the game in terms of sheer emergent gameplay.

But I would also classify it as boringly amazing. Not that that makes the game bad or anything like that, but it really does get boring every once in a while.

Really great when something awesome is happening though. Like building your own facking space station! Moments like that are pretty cool I have to admit.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16857 on: January 09, 2016, 11:21:45 pm »

Is the only way to transport minerals between systems through the use of cargo ships?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16858 on: January 09, 2016, 11:24:17 pm »

Is the only way to transport minerals between systems through the use of cargo ships?
put jump tenders at the jump points or build jump gates. You can tell the cargo ships to transit the points then. Or just build jump capable cargo ships

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16859 on: January 09, 2016, 11:54:17 pm »

The answer is yes. Mass driver mineral packets can't pass through JPs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1347