Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809391 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16800 on: January 08, 2016, 12:38:27 am »

Jump gates let you go through a jump point without needing a jump engine. There is no difference between player and non-player gates other than what colour they are on the system map.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16801 on: January 08, 2016, 01:17:29 am »

Send either a cheap fighter or a jump capable scout through because there might not be a gate on the other side. A mistake I make sometimes.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: January 08, 2016, 02:31:26 am »

Spoiler: Explorer Class Scout! (click to show/hide)

This thing is probably garbage for what it's supposed to do, but eh. Whatevs. Basically, as MarcAFK said, it's just a small, jump capable scout designed to jump in, take a bit of a peek around, and get out. I want to see if there is anything scary (massive missile ships for example) on the other side of this jump point.

So here goes!

Also, is it possible to use salvaged ship components in fighter production? I built my first class of fighter, realized I needed to upgrade some stuff, but couldn't find a "refit fighter" option or anything like that (is there such an option, btw?) so I had to scrap them. The new one used most of the old fighter components that were taken from the old fighters, so logically I should be able to use the salvaged components. Unfortunately, when I went to build the new fighters, they didn't use any of the stockpiled components. Is it just not possible to do so for fighters?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: January 08, 2016, 02:38:28 am »

Spoiler: Proxima Centauri! (click to show/hide)

There appears to be a jump gate on this side as well. Interesting.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16804 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:58 am »

Spoiler: Explorer Class Scout! (click to show/hide)

This thing is probably garbage for what it's supposed to do, but eh. Whatevs. Basically, as MarcAFK said, it's just a small, jump capable scout designed to jump in, take a bit of a peek around, and get out. I want to see if there is anything scary (massive missile ships for example) on the other side of this jump point.

So here goes!

Also, is it possible to use salvaged ship components in fighter production? I built my first class of fighter, realized I needed to upgrade some stuff, but couldn't find a "refit fighter" option or anything like that (is there such an option, btw?) so I had to scrap them. The new one used most of the old fighter components that were taken from the old fighters, so logically I should be able to use the salvaged components. Unfortunately, when I went to build the new fighters, they didn't use any of the stockpiled components. Is it just not possible to do so for fighters?
Might not be, but it's not as big of a concern due to how quickly and readily fighters can be built anyway. If you do really need the equipment, scrap it, or if you really want to use it, see what ones can be used in larger ship designs and pass them over to that.
Spoiler: Proxima Centauri! (click to show/hide)

There appears to be a jump gate on this side as well. Interesting.
Probably a good idea to poll the system for populations and sensors once you can get a ship with decent sensor tech on it.
I would otherwise suggest freight to drop a Deep Space Tracking station on one of the asteroids, with it's engines on low burn, but it's a bit risky what with the asteroids being so far from the jump point.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:42 am »

I'm about to go poking around the system. I am both hoping and not hoping that there is an alien race here.
2100 million IS 2.1 billion, right, and not 21 billion? :P

Either way, with the amount of fuel on my explorer, it SHOULD be able to get back before running out of fuel.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: January 08, 2016, 02:53:26 am »

Just went to both planets. Thermals didn't pick anything up (EDIT: No wonder, they're both gas giants :P ). Should I trek around the asteroid belt a tad to look for mining colonies? (EDIT: Done. Nothing detected. Maybe they come from the next system over then?)

My explorer has plenty of fuel for the trip back so I can afford to burn some off in this new system.

Gosh, this is exciting. This is the first system that I've ever visited that isn't Sol!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:58:02 am by coleslaw35 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:07 am »

When do jumpgates spawn? Is it only when NPCs build it or does it spawn with NPCs, or can they be just remnants of the past?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16808 on: January 08, 2016, 03:26:14 am »

When do jumpgates spawn? Is it only when NPCs build it or does it spawn with NPCs, or can they be just remnants of the past?
After some generating, it looks like they can be "remnants", what with the occasional jump gate i find.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:40 am »

They're remnants of the precursor race(s), though there's no mechanic in game to destroy one, so why the whole galaxy isn't gated is a good question.

I've had multiple Sol starts where one or more of the jump points has a gate on it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16810 on: January 08, 2016, 07:50:26 am »

How does one get more wealth?
The primary source of wealth comes from a tax on the number of citizens you have in total, so your best option is to get as many populated colonies up and running as you can and help them grow.

The second source of wealth is civilian shipping. Colony ships will transport colonists from high pop to low pop colonies. Freighters will transport Infrastructure and, after the colony has grown large enough ship trade goods. Luxury liners will ship small amounts of population between any colony, including established ones. The wealth per run for each of these is based on the distance travelled, so having colonies in other systems linked by jumpgates can result in higher profits. Well developed civilian shipping can result in greater wealth income than from your population taxation.

The third source of wealth are financial centres, that can be built on any colony with a population and will use some of your workforce to provide a small amount of wealth. It takes a large number of these to make a significant impact, so it is usually only worthwhile on a world that is not otherwise using it's population to support mining/construction/research/shipbuilding.

The fourth source of wealth are the CMC's, Civilian Mining Concerns, that will pop up on asteroids/comets that have been found to have minerals but have not had a colony created on them. They can be set to sell the minerals they mine to the civilian market resulting in wealth for you or you can spend wealth to gain those minerals for yourself.

Fighters can't be refitted, I believe this was an intentional decision by Steve. However stockpiled fighter components should be being used when building new fighters as long as the exact component is part of the design. If it is not it is a bug that needs to be reported over on the aurora forum.

When each system is generated upon being entered for the first time(whether by you or an NPR), each jump point in the system has a small chance to have an ancient jumpgate built. Other than that jumpgates are only present if they have been built by the player or an NPR.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: January 08, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »

They're remnants of the precursor race(s), though there's no mechanic in game to destroy one, so why the whole galaxy isn't gated is a good question.

I've had multiple Sol starts where one or more of the jump points has a gate on it.

I think the official sci-fi answer is "The rest broke down"
But I prefer "Your system just wasn't important enough to the Precursors".   :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: January 08, 2016, 12:20:29 pm »

But yeah, alien gates can either be generated when the system is or placed by NPRs. Having one doesn't mean you have neighbors.

//

Personally I always fluffed jump gate "construction" as being a process which stabilized the JP to allow non-JD-equipped matter to pass through it, rather than literally building a stargate around it. That would also explain why the genned ones aren't everywhere: over the course of tens of thousands of years the stability erodes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: January 08, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »

Honestly, I'd love to be able to destroy jumpgates.  Considering the fact that anyone with the tech can build it with little to no investment after the research and building the actual ship.  Plus NPR will continue building jumpgates everywhere they can.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: January 08, 2016, 12:30:27 pm »

Perhaps, but I've never been bothered. It's a convenience thing for commercial traffic and I still use squadron jumps for my military anywhere that isn't owned & secured -> owned & secured.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1347