Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809440 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16740 on: January 06, 2016, 05:02:16 pm »

Why when I try to create a custom race I get run time errors when I try to choose a picture or any other image? And why won't it save properly and show up as races? I click save on bottom and it doesn't actually add the race to the list. So I delete the SM race, but that just made things worse, and can't click on 90% of anything in the custom race area.

And I can't seem to add comets or anything to the map. I see no way to add anything, but I can add earth's solar system...but I don't want to do that. And even when I do, I can't make the race a capital planet, and I can't even create a race as it is...I get too many runtime errors. And if I decide not to add earth's solar system and try to zoom out I get another run time error.

(edit: Looks like I need to press "Rename" or otherwise it messes everything up and gives TONS of errors if I do it manually.

Still have no idea how to make an actual custom solar system, besides just adding "Sol"...and I have no idea at all how to add a capital planet for my race. I see that option nowhere at all lol
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:21:17 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:01 pm »

Well I created a colony where I wanted to be. But it gave me a runtime error when trying to get to it with no class defined. I went through every single tab and saw nowhere I can put my race on. Every single tab had no option to put my race anywhere in Sol. How the hell do I add my species to a capital planet? In race detail window where I designed my race, the capital planet area is greyed out and I can't click on it or change it at all. And I went through each option and saw no choice to select a capital planet...
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: January 06, 2016, 05:34:07 pm »

If you are trying to play a game as the SM race, STOP.  It is just meant as a kind of GM/controller switch.

On the System View screen (F9 I think) you should be able to create a random system.  FROM THERE you have the option to create a custom race to play the game as after you choose a body that can handle a species.

You can use the SM race to create a colony to SM edit the atmo so you can make almost any body habitable.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16743 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:26 pm »

If you are trying to play a game as the SM race, STOP.  It is just meant as a kind of GM/controller switch.

On the System View screen (F9 I think) you should be able to create a random system.  FROM THERE you have the option to create a custom race to play the game as after you choose a body that can handle a species.

You can use the SM race to create a colony to SM edit the atmo so you can make almost any body habitable.

yeah, I found my actual issue and why I can't figure it out. I have never been able to get to system information. I do the hotkey or click it and

It has always given me a runtime error "error 713" class not registered and it lists MSSTDFMT.dll

which means I won't ever be able to make a custom race till its fixed :( And I'm not downloading obscure dlls from random sites or doing anything like that on my PC lol.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16744 on: January 06, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »

That DLL is pretty safe, but okay

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:35 pm »

That DLL is pretty safe, but okay

Yeah, but the "Download your missing DLL" websites that come up first are notoriously fishy.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »

I fixed the errors. But I gave up making a custom empire. It is WAY too frustrating without a imgur guide or youtube video.

I generated a system that I liked, kept trying over and over to create empire on a suitable planet, set it up...and my custom race didn't even exist anywhere still? The planet had no empire or population or anything? Maybe I created too many systems to find a good one? And I could find no terraform button for other bodies, and I still can't seem to create a proper custom race. I have no choice to make a new race, just to edit the SM race. And a ton of options I can't edit, like I can't edit oxygen preferance (I can change the number, but it doesn't save when I hit save, and resets back to human default preferance)

Far far too frustrating to bother with anytime soon lol. Its making me want to throw my PC off the stairs. I think I won't ever bother with custom races or empires lol. The game has been a TON of fun up to that point with everything making a lot of sense, but this makes zero sense at all lol.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: January 06, 2016, 06:56:39 pm »

Try loading the game up in admin mode?

So... errr... here is a text guide to create custom empire with new race and the terraforming too.:

Creating Empire
1: SM Mode
2: F9(System Info)
3: Create Empire --> New Empire Setup --> Under Species, it should default to New Species (Name Em) 
3a: Make sure they are not NPR if you want to control it yourself, otherwise, as NPR, you can't take back control.
4: Species Tolerance --> You cannot edit Ideal Gravity/Surface Temperature/Oxygen Pressure.  That stuff is based on the planet you are SMing them into.  You'll have to first go SM Terraform it.
5: Everything Else --> Empire Created!
6: Close out all the pages except for the task bar.
6a: Go to the task bar and go to Game --> Select Default Race(Ctrl+R)   [Doesn't work if the new empire is NPR.]

SM Terraforming
a1: F9(System Info)
a2: Click on planet you want to put your new empire in.
a3: Click on Add Colony, 5th button from the left.
a4: Close out F9(System Info) and close out F2(Economics) --> Reopen F2(Economics)
a5: The new planet/colony should now be in the list.  --> Go to tab Environment / GMC
a6: Screw up the planet with SM Set Atm till within acceptable parameters, use Earth as an example.
a7: Whatever stats of the planet will determine the Ideal stats of the new race.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16748 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »

Try loading the game up in admin mode?

So... errr... here is a text guide to create custom empire with new race and the terraforming too.:

Creating Empire
1: SM Mode
2: F9(System Info)
3: Create Empire --> New Empire Setup --> Under Species, it should default to New Species (Name Em) 
3a: Make sure they are not NPR if you want to control it yourself, otherwise, as NPR, you can't take back control.
4: Species Tolerance --> You cannot edit Ideal Gravity/Surface Temperature/Oxygen Pressure.  That stuff is based on the planet you are SMing them into.  You'll have to first go SM Terraform it.
5: Everything Else --> Empire Created!
6: Close out all the pages except for the task bar.
6a: Go to the task bar and go to Game --> Select Default Race(Ctrl+R)   [Doesn't work if the new empire is NPR.]

SM Terraforming
a1: F9(System Info)
a2: Click on planet you want to put your new empire in.
a3: Click on Add Colony, 5th button from the left.
a4: Close out F9(System Info) and close out F2(Economics) --> Reopen F2(Economics)
a5: The new planet/colony should now be in the list.  --> Go to tab Environment / GMC
a6: Screw up the planet with SM Set Atm till within acceptable parameters, use Earth as an example.
a7: Whatever stats of the planet will determine the Ideal stats of the new race.

Thanks :) That makes a lot more sense than how the Wiki puts it. The wiki guide was confusing me a lot. Plus I don't think getting frustrated helps too much in figuring things out lol, that just makes it even harder to figure out. I probably just had to step back, relax and then try again. But your post helps a lot once I start back up :)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:28 pm »

I know this is a bit of a silly question, but how do I bring up the little ruler thing that shows you the distance between two points?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16750 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:37 pm »

I know this is a bit of a silly question, but how do I bring up the little ruler thing that shows you the distance between two points?
It's either hold control, left click and drag, or hold shift, left click and drag. I forget which.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: January 06, 2016, 08:07:31 pm »

It's either hold control, left click and drag, or hold shift, left click and drag. I forget which.

Shift+left click. Thanks!

Also, how exactly do I create a waypoint? I want to set up a patrol route for some of my new warships.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: January 06, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »

Waypoints are buried in a tab on the system map. I could be wrong but it might be named "waypoints".
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:45 pm »

Waypoints are buried in a tab on the system map. I could be wrong but it might be named "waypoints".

Ah, right. Didn't see that there :P

Thanks again!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: January 06, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

I used SM mode to put a Carbon Dioxide - Oxygen atmosphere on the comet.

Trying this out on my fun game. (I did figure out custom empires, so I have one going where I started on a desert planet). But wanted to also try this comet thing. I did that, and it was a breathable environment and perfect to live on, but as soon as I did a 5 day turn all 50 million of my people died on the comet lol. The comets always say no gravity though, did you keep doing new comets do get one with gravity or what did you do?
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 1347