Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809645 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16710 on: January 05, 2016, 05:52:05 pm »

It depends on what academy recruit level you set your sailors at I reckon.  Level 1, you get a bunch per year, based on the number of academies you have, simulating sailors being trained at those academies.  Not just officers/admins/scientists/generals.  Level 5, you have 1/5th or something of that.  (Havn't done any maths or proper checking.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: January 05, 2016, 05:54:14 pm »

Judging by how things tend to work in the game, I'd hazard a guess that getting 5x more efficient takes 25x longer.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: January 05, 2016, 05:55:11 pm »

On the topic, is there actually a non-RP reason to build luxury passenger ships? They seem to be inferior to cryogenic pods in every way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16713 on: January 05, 2016, 05:55:55 pm »

On the topic, is there actually a non-RP reason to build luxury passenger ships? They seem to be inferior to cryogenic pods in every way.
Nope. They're entirely useless to your state-owned ships. They do generate extra income as passenger liners when civilian shipping lines run them.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: January 05, 2016, 06:10:59 pm »

Where did that guide for getting it working with smaller screens go?

Grabbed it just now from Flying Dice, thanks for asking 'cause I needed that too. 768 works for basically everything but the very bottom of the System Map options, so hopefully ResizeEnable helps with that. I used auto-hide taskbar instead of locking it to the right, but I think locking it the right will help a bit more, too.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »

Nope. They're entirely useless to your state-owned ships. They do generate extra income as passenger liners when civilian shipping lines run them.
There used to be a trick where you could design a ship with 1 cryo pod and 1 luxury suite.  The civilian lines would build them, and thus all the passengers in cryo were counted as if they were in luxury, and it would generate HUGE profits as they're shipping around tens of thousands of luxury passengers.

This NO LONGER WORKS as civilian lines now design their own ships.  So there's not much need for luxury anyhow, since you can't even force the civilians to use them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16716 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:49 pm »

Working on a scenario basically starting at the end of WW3, earth is a ruined cinder. You play as mars colony, 13 million souls with a decent manufacturing base and a few scattered ships left over from earth gov. Luna is also a fair sized independent colony but is just a large city, no factories were built due to laws outlawing heavy manufacturing in earth orbit. You'd need to tow abandoned shipyards from earth, maybe salvage some wreckage from the brief space battles.

Mars would start with basic TN tech because all of the labs were (and still are) on earth and databases were wiped in the war. Might put a big population of 100 million or so 'survivors' on earth as a neutral colony you can draw pop from with rescue missions while stripping facilities off of mars.

Problem is I expect 7.2 in a few weeks and don't want to sink a bunch of time into this then have to restart on save-breaking update.

There used to be a trick where you could design a ship with 1 cryo pod and 1 luxury suite.  The civilian lines would build them, and thus all the passengers in cryo were counted as if they were in luxury, and it would generate HUGE profits as they're shipping around tens of thousands of luxury passengers.

This NO LONGER WORKS as civilian lines now design their own ships.  So there's not much need for luxury anyhow, since you can't even force the civilians to use them.
Yep, though the civvies DO still use them. I have 3 luxury liners in my current game that make some good tax monies

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: January 05, 2016, 06:24:08 pm »

Unrelated, anyone know if there's a way to scrape the data from the game?  Like if, for instance, I wanted to make a 3rd party program to handle data and sort/compile/make decisions?  Is there an easy way to get information out of the database?

Only if you have the database password, which the developer is loathe to give out for his single-player game.

See: The raw viewer utility that has its own subsection on the Aurora forums but contains only one thread because no one can use it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: January 05, 2016, 06:36:25 pm »

Unrelated, anyone know if there's a way to scrape the data from the game?  Like if, for instance, I wanted to make a 3rd party program to handle data and sort/compile/make decisions?  Is there an easy way to get information out of the database?

Only if you have the database password, which the developer is loathe to give out for his single-player game.

See: The raw viewer utility that has its own subsection on the Aurora forums but contains only one thread because no one can use it.
Has he changed his stance or something on giving out the developer password?  People giving too many bug reports after screwing with the database?  Without mentioning that they used the developer password they got from someone other then Steve?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16719 on: January 05, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »

Well he keeps a list of who he gives it to, so he knows if you got it from him or not

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: January 05, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »

Well he keeps a list of who he gives it to, so he knows if you got it from him or not
Well, yea... but he won't know they got it in the first place if they don't mention it at all.  :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16721 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »

Well, yea... but he won't know they got it in the first place if they don't mention it at all.  :P
true. Unless he looks at your save and sees obvious editing

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:41 pm »

There are instructions earlier in this thread for how to find the developer password, though, so it's not super hidden. It's interesting to poke around the database, but I guess I can understand why he'd keep it under wraps (particularly since DF has pretty similar policies about reverse engineering and all that, given that it's the creator's pet project.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:40 pm »

There actually is one use: You can create luxury passenger compartments without TN tech, you need TN tech to use cryogenic pods.
Creating a test game to confirm. EDIT - confirmed.

That actually sounds like a really, really good idea...

However, doesent that take alot of extra crew as a result of doubled up components?
Why wouldn't you use conscript crews on your commercial shipping?

Hey, Flying Dice Appeared!  Summoned by the call of "How Resize?"

As for commercial shipping, I usually don't use conscript crews through untempered laziness.  Just can't be bothered to remember to click "conscript crew" on each and every civilian design.

That actually sounds like a really, really good idea...

However, doesent that take alot of extra crew as a result of doubled up components?
Why wouldn't you use conscript crews on your commercial shipping?
Roleplaying, I suppose. Same reason I don't magic my teams around to various planets but have a nice big luxury passenger shuttle for them

...which is ironically why I always magic my teams, lol.  I'm not managing my teams like that.  I've even stopped micromanaging my survey teams to always be on - I'll just use them when I get 0.1 access minerals, thank you very much.  Or the Luna, Mars, Venus, Titan combo when playing Sol System, I think that is kind of mandatory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16724 on: January 05, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »

Well yes but outside of some kind of roleplaying scenario they're really not useful
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 1347