Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809940 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16605 on: January 01, 2016, 01:21:56 am »

Oh, duh of course. But you're right about rec being unneeded. So, armour then.
Edit: I just designed this, the armour is not a major difference, only contributing 100k tons. But cost wise you're adding a third more with the extra 12000 duranium needed for armour. Looking at the design screen this thing is 76% harvester module even without the added armour. It's not getting any smaller.
Personally I would prefer making 2 platforms with 300 modules and 100 million storage.  It'll cost slightly more because of the extra habitat, but moving it is easier and importantly you'll have the first one ready in half the time, time it can spend harvesting fuel.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:34:07 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:15 am »

Well, a RecFac means this thing doesn't need to actually carry around 10k people with it, so it's not completely redundant unless you already intend to use the OrbHabs to support civilian populations (instead of just bypassing the need to otherwise expand a shipyard to over 2.1 million tons).  That said, I wonder about the purpose of shore leave facilities when this station doesn't have any capacity to maintain military ships.  Apart from geosurvey ships, civilians don't typically care all that much about morale.  Maintenance modules are civilian-compatible, though you would need to use engineering bays for MSP storage as maintenance storage bays are military-only. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: January 01, 2016, 01:50:07 am »

I always wondered if fuel/mineral harvesters were effected by morale.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16608 on: January 01, 2016, 02:41:27 am »

TBH though it really doesn't need to be that large. 200m liter fuel capacity is pretty massive already, and it produces a bit under 38.4m per year. You're not going to need production like that in anything short of a major hub for a multi-century old player race. Just build one that produces, say, 2-3m/year and stores 100m. It'll be tiny and cheap in comparison, can be left on its own for the most part, and will still supply the fuel needs of anything short of a fleet with scores of capital ships. If you need more production capacity... build another one!

Seriously, for the most part the timeframe you're playing in has very little need for massive industrial capacity beyond wanting to build fuckoff huge things just 'cause.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16609 on: January 01, 2016, 04:16:04 am »

I've used that amount pretty quickly before, I think you guys might over-emphasize fuel effeciency in your warships a bit.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16610 on: January 01, 2016, 05:54:07 am »

I usually use harvester ships that can move between 700 and 1000km/s on their own. Easier to relocate, more flexible (multiple small refuel stations in different systems, so your explorers don't need to fly so far just to refuel). More expensive as well over time, but you also train some more officers. I just have a tanker that flies around to collect the fuel and dump it where it is needed. You also don't need that many fuel tanks, because the harvesters can usually fly to a moon and dump it there if needed.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: January 01, 2016, 05:55:37 am »

Just heard about the new version so obviously I had to install it. I encountered an install error (surprise surprise) that I've never seen before. This one came from installing the suggested package on the portable launcher page.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: January 01, 2016, 09:54:07 am »

Just heard about the new version so obviously I had to install it. I encountered an install error (surprise surprise) that I've never seen before. This one came from installing the suggested package on the portable launcher page.

Why arent you using Portable Launcher Utility ??
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: January 01, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

My last game didn't last too long and I was still in ion level.
My first real tankers held 6 million fuel, and construction was just about to start on 200 module harvesters. My ships guzzled fuel like crazy.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: January 01, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »

I'm really glad Quill18 is doing a video series on this. I've tried getting into this a few times and was confused as hell. Farthest I got was with help of a guide, and I did some research and assigned jobs to people. This has always looked like an amazing game that is 100% my type, but boy was it too confusing :P And I don't do good with written guides at all, I need a nice detailed video or someone next to me to guide me. But usually if someone is next to me, they give up on me super fast xD And there weren't really that many videos that helped that much if I recall, if any, when I tried this (been a good three years now).

Playing distant worlds did definitely help some things, even if they are different. Some of the mechanics are a tad bit the same (at least to me, just a little). So it was kinda easy in figuring the basics out cause of DW. But still, Dwarf fortress I figured out on my own really easily with no issue at all, no videos needed. Aurora is a whole another level :P

But now with quill doing videos, I'll definitely be giving this another go. His first two videos have helped me understand way more than I did before lol. His new video he shows making a custom engine, I never even figured that part out before and explains a lot of confusion in designing a ship xD
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #16615 on: January 01, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »

I started a game with a 50 mil pop and 8 billion neutral pop on Earth. So I'm just in control of a small subset of the pop of Earth.

It makes the game interesting. Instead of turtling in Sol, the focus is on exploring and finding a good extrasolar colony site to begin shipping the neutral population off of Earth to. The first jump point I explored I found one with an atmosphere and only 1.5 temp cost, but my geo survey got nuked by what I assume was a precursor ship on the way to survey the planet. Time to see what my little fleet of five 7500 ton warships can do.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16616 on: January 01, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »

Instead of criticizing the design, I'll start from the other end:
What do you know about the tech of your enemy?  How much damage did their missiles do, how fast were they going, how big were they?

Destruction of a ship reveals at least some of that.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #16617 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:20 am »

Oh, they're way more advanced than my ships. They are precursors, after all. 6666km/s speed, 176m range sensors (triple my low tech ones). Much better missiles and sensor range.

My little fleet managed to sneak up on and wipe out the one ship that had nuked my geo survey ship, but I was unaware of the presence of other ships. Five other ships with significantly longer ranged active sensors and missiles converged on my ships shortly after they destroyed the first. My little fleet was quickly overwhelmed by 29,000 km/s missiles. Only warhead 6 so it took a lot of hits to bust the armor, but they had a lot of missiles and my AMMs were only shooting down a couple. Had 3 volleys of 9 and 2 volleys of 8 coming at me every 25 seconds lol.

Will need to bring along a good passive sensor ship to scout them out and sneak up on them with a new fleet. Due to their ECM I need to be pretty close, it may not be doable with my current tech. A heavily armored blob to draw their fire might be advisable, along with a dedicated sensor ship to detect them and much larger fire controls and longer ranged missiles.

I'm not going to worry about it for now, the system will be ignored until I have the resources to combat them. I found another system next to Sol with good prospects and without the hostiles guarding it. The geo survey ship was avenged, the fleet of combat ships that avenged him will need to be avenged at a later date.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:53:03 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: January 02, 2016, 01:10:52 am »

You need more anti-missile defense. Your current setup can't even take care of the launches from itself: you'll probably get two launches of 2 against each salvo, maybe 3, and with a ~26% chance to hit that means only one or two missiles destroyed per incoming salvo, when you're firing salvos of 4.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: January 02, 2016, 01:50:43 am »

Deploy the smallest ship you can with sensor missiles, probably fired at warp points as those are spread out pretty well.  Would suggest using passive EM sensors, as that size of actives on the precursors will shine like a lightbulb.  Once you have an idea of where they are, you can set up your tactics better.  Large armor+shield+active sensor chunk ship flanked by turrets of meson/lasers could have a good chance of hitting them at range.  Plus with one ship, it's easier to pack in CIWS since you know it'll be the target.  FAC with lasers/particles could also get your tracking speed up and more able to hit them.

Personally I'd probably go with high-burning fighter or FAC with close range weapons.  Size 2-5 engines with the maximum speed output, tiny fuel, no engineering, big weapon.  Box launchers or even carronades could dish out a lot of damage at close range.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1347