Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810997 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16230 on: May 19, 2015, 11:23:16 pm »

I can't figure out how to make ships do anything except move and attack. The Fleet Orders screen seems like it's supposed to be used more for combat operations than anything else.

Available orders depend on the capabilities of ships in your selected fleet. Cargo orders won't show up unless you have cargo bays, salvage orders won't show up without salvagers, etc. The sole exception to this is the "transit" commands, because a fleet does not have to have innate jump capability to transit a jump point - jump gates or tenders can handle that.

For example, to load colonists on Earth, select a fleet that contains ships with cryogenic population transpot, then select Earth in the "destination" list. Select the load colonists order. Then select the planet you want to put those colonists on, and select the Unload Colonists order.
Oh, silly me. I thought the colony ship would automatically load colonists when it was built. I sent it to Mars without anyone aboard!
Colony ships in this game aren't the single-use ships familiar from Master of Orion and Moo imitators - they're infinitely reusable (unless they get hit by a missile or something, obviously), and you don't need colonists to have a colony - most automated mining setups require a colony, but don't require people.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16231 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:56 am »

You need to designate a colony on a body for almost anything to happen. Want a survey team there? You need a colony. Automated mines? Colony.

It's actually one of the bigger problems with the game. Colonies can only be created on celestial bodies, which means you can never have a deep space habitat. You can make orbital habs around an asteroid but that's about as close as you can come.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: May 20, 2015, 09:43:08 am »

Speaking of asteroidal habitats, how exactly does one go about creating those?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16233 on: May 20, 2015, 09:46:25 am »

Speaking of asteroidal habitats, how exactly does one go about creating those?
Build a design with orbital habitats, tow it to an asteroid, drop people on the asteroid. Boom, colony.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: May 20, 2015, 09:52:47 am »

Alternatively you can drop off some minerals and construction brigades and build underground infrastructure. Then ship construction factories and people in to build more.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16235 on: May 20, 2015, 10:01:13 am »

Alternatively you can drop off some minerals and construction brigades and build underground infrastructure. Then ship construction factories and people in to build more.
Ah yeah, I forgot about underground infrastructure. That is relatively new. Steve's post on them:

Underground Infrastructure

Underground Infrastructure functions in the same way as normal infrastructure except for the following:

1) It costs 10 BP per point, compared to 2 BP for normal infrastructure, because of the need to build artificial gravity into the construction.
2) It cannot be transported so it must be built on site.
3) it can only be used on worlds for which the gravity is too low to support a normal colony. In this case, the population lives beneath the surface of the body and makes use of artificial gravity. Because of the difficulties in building and maintaining this infrastructure, the body is treated as colony cost 3.0 for the purposes of underground infrastructure requirements, agriculture/environment, etc..

In essence, Underground Infrastructure is used for hollowing out asteroids and small moons to provide underground living accommodation. It's an immovable underground version of an orbital habitat. Note that as construction of underground infrastructure has to be done on site, you will need either construction brigades or workers living in an orbital habitat manning construction factories up to the point where the asteroid can support enough workers of its own to man construction factories. This makes it a substantial undertaking but allows the creation of asteroid bases etc. Other facilities can be added as normal to the body once workers are available.

This adds some complexity because of the potential interactions between underground infrastructure and orbital habitats so it may throw up the odd bug or two until it's been thoroughly play tested.

So yeah if you drop minerals and an engineering brigade you could dig out some hab space.

And steve's post on orbital habs:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2631.msg25969.html#msg25969

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16236 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:41 pm »

so I started my first real game of Aurora and I've encountered an alien race that obliterated all three of my survey ships. They blasted them only when they were right on top of the planet, and proceeded to only use missiles on the two that tried to escape. The system has a destroyed alien outpost providing a bonus to all research in the system, two x2.00 colony cost planets, and several shipwrecks. First of all: how should I  go about researching and building a combat ready fleet? Second: what would be the best course of action to conquering the system, as it seems like a great boon to my civ.
no one could have anticipated this

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: May 27, 2015, 03:20:25 am »

How big is the download and does this work on Win7? I'd like to play it AFTER I get my MA finished.

Also, is it possible to have NO AI, just hot-seating between let's say 2 races?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: May 27, 2015, 03:37:07 am »

How big is the download
~130MB I think. Might be smaller.
and does this work on Win7?
Yes, although you might have to jump through a hoop or two to get a required DLL. Instructions are mostly in the OP, other than the thing you have to run in the command prompt (but just sticking the DLL next to aurora.exe might suffice).
Also, is it possible to have NO AI, just hot-seating between let's say 2 races?
Yes, although if you plan to play with someone who's not yourself then it'd probably get pretty awkward.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: June 04, 2015, 07:37:02 am »

Can't find the download in the links, helpings?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: June 04, 2015, 07:53:54 am »

Marginally better, but there's a few threads, the 5.54 thread has a post which says it's old, use newer, but the link it gives is dead... So confused...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16242 on: June 04, 2015, 07:54:38 am »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:22 am »

The install package does need some love, but that link for the 6.43 full installer is all you need.
Otherwise I believe you would need to install 5.40, then the 6.whatever patch, then one or 2 newer patches.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16244 on: June 04, 2015, 08:37:30 am »

Yeah the whole install process is confusing as fuck, so I just use the wrapper. That way nothing extra has to be installed and I can run it from my USB stick.
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1347