Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811233 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16140 on: March 30, 2015, 01:08:13 pm »

Well I can't really play as my screen is too small for the un-resizable floating screens.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:14 pm »

Did you activate the reduced height windows in the game options?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: March 30, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »

Well I can't really play as my screen is too small for the un-resizable floating screens.
* Flying Dice points to sig.  ;)

I ran it just fine on a craptop with a 1024x768p screen, you should be okay unless you're trying to play it on a tablet or microlaptop.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: March 31, 2015, 12:34:27 am »

Damn that 768 height, my older laptop at least let me set the display resolution too high which allowed scrolling :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: March 31, 2015, 02:43:07 am »

Inside the zip with setup in it there is another zip that needs to be extracted as is to wherever you installed Aurora, and then extract the most recent major and minor patches (currently 6.40 and 6.43) also to the Aurora folder.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16145 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:14 am »

Alright so everyone else who wants to participate in the tournament/a test of the idea, I'd be willing to organize, so like, reply with an affirmation.

And we need to set like a tech point/build point limit, so I don't really know what sort of level we're aiming for here, nor do I have an idea of what kind of research points it takes to get anywhere. I'll tentatively say like 100000 research points and 10000 build points? I'll have some time later today so I'll test it out and see what kind of stuff I can get with that.

In conclusion, anyone interested, please respond that you are, and I also want suggestions on tech level we're aiming for in these battles.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: March 31, 2015, 08:26:26 am »

I'd love to, but Aurora is really wonky and unstable for me.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16147 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:00 am »

I'd love to, but Aurora is really wonky and unstable for me.

What issues are you having? I probably can't help but it can't hurt.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: March 31, 2015, 08:46:55 am »

I'm currently watching that lets play series people recommended in this thread and I'm willing to give Aurora another try. Aurora seems to have that dwarf fortress thing going about it, which means that it throws a lot of things on your face right at the start but once you actualy learn how to play it becomes tons of fun with all the different possibilities and situations it can bring you.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: March 31, 2015, 09:03:59 am »

Also like DF: you never really stop learning new things. Though, despite the jokes about it being a spreadsheet simulator, the UI is, I think, actually in a better state, because in spite of the level of complexity and the fact that you have dozens of windows crammed full of information and dropdown bars and tabs to compress it further, it doesn't actually interfere with play once you know where the important things live.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16150 on: March 31, 2015, 09:26:07 am »

I'm currently watching that lets play series people recommended in this thread and I'm willing to give Aurora another try. Aurora seems to have that dwarf fortress thing going about it, which means that it throws a lot of things on your face right at the start but once you actualy learn how to play it becomes tons of fun with all the different possibilities and situations it can bring you.

Also like DF: you never really stop learning new things. Though, despite the jokes about it being a spreadsheet simulator, the UI is, I think, actually in a better state, because in spite of the level of complexity and the fact that you have dozens of windows crammed full of information and dropdown bars and tabs to compress it further, it doesn't actually interfere with play once you know where the important things live.

I agree, although I think Dwarf Fortress is better in terms of keeping the game interesting, because long time spans of 30 or more years encountering no alien species are not interesting. I appreciate peace -- to a point. But it is a good game, I'll probably just try to control it more later, spawning NPRs as I want so that I can make sure I can keep track rather than allowing the game to spawn any.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:46:48 am by kytuzian »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:29 am »

My suggestion is to not use real stars, set the number of systems to around 200, and set spawn chance to 100.  If you start with 1-2 nprs you should find them within 8-10 points from your home.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16152 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:43 am »

My suggestion is to not use real stars, set the number of systems to around 200, and set spawn chance to 100.  If you start with 1-2 nprs you should find them within 8-10 points from your home.

I would, except I'm having a huge issue with tiny intervals in one of my games - 25 second intervals for literally many thousands of steps - so I'd rather just spawn one and be sure they won't create more.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:05 am »

Alright so everyone else who wants to participate in the tournament/a test of the idea, I'd be willing to organize, so like, reply with an affirmation.

And we need to set like a tech point/build point limit, so I don't really know what sort of level we're aiming for here, nor do I have an idea of what kind of research points it takes to get anywhere. I'll tentatively say like 100000 research points and 10000 build points? I'll have some time later today so I'll test it out and see what kind of stuff I can get with that.

In conclusion, anyone interested, please respond that you are, and I also want suggestions on tech level we're aiming for in these battles.

If you want my suggestion, don't have players buy tech; just say you use all tech that costs 10,000 RP or less (there's a nice button to do this in SM mode). Trying to allocate research points just makes things more complicated and encourages over-specialization.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:38 pm »

I'm interested. I agree in principle with Bremen's suggestion (component research should also be free), but 10,000RP is on the low side for a cutoff.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1347