Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811300 times)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16110 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:01 am »

The thing to keep in mind is that you're only going to find NPRs on planets which are close to or at 0.00 col. cost for you (or the methane-breathing equivalent), and you can explore dozens of systems without finding any perfect garden worlds like that.
Oh okay, that's makes sense. yeah I've been finding lots of planets that are 2.00 colony cost.

Website is dooooown.
If you really want to someone to play with spawn a new empire and tick the "create as NPR" box.
On the system view (f9) select a habitable planet (you may have to create a colony and use Spacemaster to terraform it) then click on "create empire".

Alright cool thanks. I did that, although it still says "No Population", so I'm not sure what that means, if I have to go explore it first?

Nevermind I found them. Thanks very much!
Still dealing with ungodly amounts of 25 second intervals.

Update:
Maybe something is broken? I don't know, but it's been going at 25 seconds for several hours at this point (probably 6 or more) and the interval has yet to change. Is it possible I messed with some setting or should I just let it go overnight?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:46:27 pm by kytuzian »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: March 28, 2015, 09:25:29 pm »

I have an idea for an Enterprise-style exploration ship.  Curious if it would be actually useful.

Here is the idea:
Size 14 jump engine, so self-jumping only?  Actually, the Enterprise in The Next Generation is among the largest ships in Federation, so need to decide if this will be TNG or TOS Enterprise.
Fires 10 missiles at a time and 10 beam weapons.  Two missile fire controls (one as backup) and ten beam fire controls.
Two engines minimum, for redundancy.
Shields prioritized.  Light armor.
Geo and Grav sensors.

The idea is that the ship should be able to hold its own against most Precursor vessels and scout it's own jumps.  Still tinkering with the design, although I'm probably going to include Galaxy-class firepower without all transport capacity.

Really, I should probably stop trying to create Federation era ships with early spacefaring tech, lol.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »

Update:
Maybe something is broken? I don't know, but it's been going at 25 seconds for several hours at this point (probably 6 or more) and the interval has yet to change. Is it possible I messed with some setting or should I just let it go overnight?

What you are probably encountering (and is a problem that happens with Aurora4x rather often) is that 2 NPRs (that you cant see) are fighting eachother, and the game is playing out their combat. And well, you're just stuck with the wait until someone wins. It sucks, but usually they'll wrap it up in a while if oyu leave the game running overnite.

Couple things you can do to counter this problem though.
1, when starting a game, on the right side, tic that there are 0 NPRs present at start. Thing is, even if you are still hanging around "Sol" putting around with a couple geosurvey ships, an NPR that was made at the start of the game will be hard at work exploring, entering new systems... and triggering other NPRs that do the same.
Making sure that there are 0 NPRs at start will allow you to take all the time you need playing around in Sol without having to deal with major slowdowns due to NPRs. They can still become a problem later on in play, but thats the nature of the game. There is some stuff being talked about as ways to counter these slowdowns.

2, somewhere, and I can't find it right now, but when I get up to pee at 3 in the mornign I'll remember where its hiding.
There is a button, that will force the game, to stop simulating all other systems, but the 1 that you set it to. This will make your 25 second increments go away, and you can continue playing, but you'll be trapped to 1 system actually running properly. Can't find it though.
Honestly, your best bet is #1

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: March 28, 2015, 11:10:18 pm »

Don't forget the standard 4 shuttlecraft on the original Enterprise.   I don't know how many the hippies on TNG carried, haha who am I kidding, I couldn't help looking it up and WOW:  "As of season 4 2368, The STNG Technical Manual lists a standard compliment of 37 shuttles, 10 standard personnel shuttles, 10 cargo shuttles, 5 special purpose craft & 12 shuttlepods which can hold 2 people for extravehicular & short range use"

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16114 on: March 29, 2015, 12:40:33 am »

How do I even get the game? Does it run on fully updated Win8?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:56 am »

The best answer would probably be "sometimes"; I use Windows 8 and Aurora works for me (though I had to do a little troubleshooting when I installed it, and have to run it as administrator.) The download is on the official forums, but unfortunately they seem to be down right now.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16116 on: March 29, 2015, 03:14:55 am »

What you are probably encountering (and is a problem that happens with Aurora4x rather often) is that 2 NPRs (that you cant see) are fighting eachother, and the game is playing out their combat. And well, you're just stuck with the wait until someone wins. It sucks, but usually they'll wrap it up in a while if oyu leave the game running overnite.

1, when starting a game, on the right side, tic that there are 0 NPRs present at start. Thing is, even if you are still hanging around "Sol" putting around with a couple geosurvey ships, an NPR that was made at the start of the game will be hard at work exploring, entering new systems... and triggering other NPRs that do the same.
Making sure that there are 0 NPRs at start will allow you to take all the time you need playing around in Sol without having to deal with major slowdowns due to NPRs. They can still become a problem later on in play, but thats the nature of the game. There is some stuff being talked about as ways to counter these slowdowns.

2, somewhere, and I can't find it right now, but when I get up to pee at 3 in the mornign I'll remember where its hiding.
There is a button, that will force the game, to stop simulating all other systems, but the 1 that you set it to. This will make your 25 second increments go away, and you can continue playing, but you'll be trapped to 1 system actually running properly. Can't find it though.

Alright, thanks for the advice. Well, I've just let it go overnight, still getting 25 second increments. It's literally gone past days in game at 25 seconds at a time. It's practically real time at this point. Sadly, #1 is not an option, because I am specifically trying to have NPRs to play with.

I wish I could watch this battle, because damn this thing has been going on for days.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:25:29 am by kytuzian »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:46 am »

Alright, thanks for the advice. Well, I've just let it go overnight, still getting 25 second increments. It's literally gone past days in game at 25 seconds at a time. It's practically real time at this point. Sadly, #1 is not an option, because I am specifically trying to have NPRs to play with.

I wish I could watch this battle, because damn this thing has been going on for days.

It doesn't actually force the game to stop simulating systems outside the player race's view. What it does is force the game to continue processing until an interrupt specific to your race occurs. It's the little 'Auto Turns' checkbox in the upper right of the System View window.  :)

The best answer would probably be "sometimes"; I use Windows 8 and Aurora works for me (though I had to do a little troubleshooting when I installed it, and have to run it as administrator.) The download is on the official forums, but unfortunately they seem to be down right now.

Yep, you should be able to get it running; I've got it on Win8 as well and didn't have any trouble beyond the usual bit about making sure to install it properly. I'm running it straight out of C:\Users\[name]\Aurora without any monkeying about.

I think I still have the archive for the most recent version kicking around. If you'd like, I could put it in my dropbox and PM it to you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:21 am »

It doesn't actually force the game to stop simulating systems outside the player race's view. What it does is force the game to continue processing until an interrupt specific to your race occurs. It's the little 'Auto Turns' checkbox in the upper right of the System View window.  :)

Not autoturns. Autoturns is what you check when you're gonna leave stuff running all night. Theres another option somewhere that forces singles system simulation, somewhere. I think it was added so a player could "pause" out systems that might be having fights, so they could focus on playing out 1 fight at a time, then switch to the other systems and fight those battles. THough now that I've looked more, I think its restricted to "designer mode" rather than spacemaster. I have a link right to the page on the forum talking about it... too bad I can't read that page because the forums are borked right now.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16119 on: March 29, 2015, 10:30:11 am »

Hit F3 for the System map and go to the contacts tab while in SM mode. At the bottom is a checkbox, Spacetime-bubble in this system, that will cause time to only progress in the curretly displayed system while checked.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16120 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:50 am »

Not autoturns. Autoturns is what you check when you're gonna leave stuff running all night. Theres another option somewhere that forces singles system simulation, somewhere. I think it was added so a player could "pause" out systems that might be having fights, so they could focus on playing out 1 fight at a time, then switch to the other systems and fight those battles. THough now that I've looked more, I think its restricted to "designer mode" rather than spacemaster. I have a link right to the page on the forum talking about it... too bad I can't read that page because the forums are borked right now.

Yeah, it's the autoturns I've been doing for like 12 hours, and it's still going. Meanwhile, another day has passed in the Empire. I think I'll just play another game and kind of leave this running just to see if it'll ever finish.

Hit F3 for the System map and go to the contacts tab while in SM mode. At the bottom is a checkbox, Spacetime-bubble in this system, that will cause time to only progress in the curretly displayed system while checked.

Thanks, but I'm in more than one system, so I don't want to stop time for the rest of them too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16121 on: March 29, 2015, 10:56:36 am »

Ah, right, I forgot about that. I never use it in my actual campaigns for exactly that reason, because it doesn't fix the problem and it does mess with the game even more.

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16122 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:40 am »

The intention with the spacetime bubble is that you find the system that the fighting is going on in and use it to resolve the fight before resuming the rest of the universe.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16123 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:14 pm »

Yeah, but I'm lazy and that takes more time and effort than setting it to auto-turn for a while and watching a video while it processes.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: March 29, 2015, 02:23:32 pm »

Huh.... What does everyone think about an Aurora ship tournament? Given limited resources (tech points and minerals) people build a ship and someone recreates them with space master and have them duke it out.
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1347