Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811406 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16095 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:10 am »

It'd be nice if there was a high-tech item you could research to let you collapse a jump point, to seal off a system like that.
Or an equivalent of the "jump missile" from SotS, basically a missile with a tiny jumpdrive on it so you could launch from another system. (yes, I know you could eventually build a fighter with a jumpdrive and box launcher and get the same result for the cost of a couple of crew)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16096 on: March 17, 2015, 03:50:39 pm »

So basically the missile pods (forget what they're called) in Starfire.

Also, I'd really love for closed jump points to be properly implemented -- that is, jump points which can only be detected from one side, so as long as an enemy doesn't see you ships using them they don't know where the hidden point is, and vice versa (as opposed to the current equivalent, which is a JP linking into a system which already has connections for all of its JPs).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16097 on: March 21, 2015, 04:03:42 pm »

Is there a way to Space Master taskforce training? I don't really want to send my Fighters and Carriers to train again after loosing the fighters to that bug (haven't played around with it yet, as I just restarted playing, I made a copy of the database though).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16098 on: March 21, 2015, 04:11:53 pm »

To my knowledge there's no way to directly set proficiency level with SM mode.

However, you can change the starting proficiency of your ships when they are produced with the Races window (Ctrl+F2). In the top-right section ("Main Information") is a box labelled "Training Level"; you can set this from 1-5. Each level increases the initial grade of ship crews, but also reduces the amount of crew produced per annum. Academies produce 1000/training level crew each year, so at maximum training level (and highest initial grade) each academy would give you 200 crew per year.

Basically, you need a lot more academies, but your ships will come out of production with much better crews. Make sure to set commanders to auto-assign and to lower the minimum required rank of all your ships. Your higher number of academies will produce a much larger volume of officers, meaning that just about everything should get someone with a crew training rating, which will naturally increase their grade over time without TF training.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:14:15 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16099 on: March 21, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »

That only seems to give grade bonus though, which is nice, but I would really prefer to get taskforce training.
Thanks anyway, I guess I will spacemaster two carriers as well, so I won't have wait for them to get the maintenance done at leat.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16100 on: March 21, 2015, 06:51:41 pm »

Fighters train pretty fast, since it's to fix a bug you could sm some engineering into them then remove after training is done.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16101 on: March 21, 2015, 07:03:00 pm »

I do have both designs in service on other ships already, so engineering sections wouldn't be a very good idea. I just spacemastered the carriers, and those will be destroyed later.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16102 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:40 pm »

Yeah, there might be a way to do it with database access, but I've never bothered mucking around with that.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16103 on: March 22, 2015, 01:23:20 am »

I always get carried away with shipbuilding, My first fleet is nearing completion 20 years into the game, tonnage will be around 400,000.... I now have barely enough fuel to spare to load a single freighter and this is after defueling each military ship to 13% capacity :s
The next 2 years will be interesting, Grav sensors and my first jump engines will be ready this year, next year I jump into the great unknown. Priority now is on raising that abysmal 5 million per year fuel production. Also I might turn invaders on now and see if they decide to wipe out my pathetic swarm of 24 nuclear pulse equipped 4kton beam corvettes.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16104 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:39 am »

Are the main Aurora forums down for anyone else?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Falknor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16105 on: March 28, 2015, 10:05:54 am »

Yep.

I get a website error.
I'll use Dwarven Logic. AKA Encrusting the problem with gems, beating an elf to death with it, and then throwing it into the volcano.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16106 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:36 am »

Are the main Aurora forums down for anyone else?

Yes, also down for me.

Also, does anyone know how I can encounter some NPRs? I've yet to ever find any. I even tried doing the "Add Extra NPR" thing from the Spacemaster menu a couple times but I still haven't seen any. The game has been progressing at 25 seconds for a REALLY long time, so does that mean they were generated and they're somewhere I just can't find them?

Also, how do I use the designer mode? It asks me for a password but I never set one, and even when creating a new game, I cannot see where to change it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:39:14 am by kytuzian »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16107 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:14 am »

You can only get the PW for the designer mode from steve. He doesn't want everyone using it and then reporting bugs they basically created themselves.

If you mean spacemaster: if you set no pw, then just leave it blank.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16108 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:52 am »

Website is dooooown.
If you really want to someone to play with spawn a new empire and tick the "create as NPR" box.
On the system view (f9) select a habitable planet (you may have to create a colony and use Spacemaster to terraform it) then click on "create empire".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16109 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:56 am »

The thing to keep in mind is that you're only going to find NPRs on planets which are close to or at 0.00 col. cost for you (or the methane-breathing equivalent), and you can explore dozens of systems without finding any perfect garden worlds like that.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1347