Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814080 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13800 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

It's a long shot, but the 1kt ships could have been geosurvey ships. They would have to be really slow and even then made of fuel tanks, though.
I'm not a military expert, especially in Aurora, so just erm... make more ships than the opposing side? ;) If you can get a different wreck that'd be awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: August 19, 2013, 01:41:58 pm »

It's sort of sad, but that really is the only way to deal with NPRs. Just bomb them into submission and oppress oppress oppress until they've completely integrated into your social order.

Could you elaborate? I'm building a mental feature list and i was unaware of this.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned newbs crowdsourcing designs to learn the ropes. I'd like to take you up on that.

It's admittedly less of a pressing necessity in earlier versions where all NPRs were automatically hostile, but still the best option. If you encounter an NPR it will either be hostile or neutral. Through careful management you can make a friend of it, though that requires a lot of work for nearly no reward beyond the wealth you gain from trading with them. It's far more likely that simply by having ships in the space they consider "theirs" you will drive your relations down far enough for them to become hostile. Even if you raise relations and stay friendly they will, as previously described, happily colonize worlds you're preparing, take over systems in your path of advance, waste mineral resources, and feed thousands of tons of wreckage to any nearby Swarm groups.

If they are hostile, essentially nothing can be done to change that, and they will attack you whenever possible.

Regarding conquest vs. extermination: Extermination, while satisfying, is incredibly wasteful. NPRs are an excellent supply of wealth, taxable population, free installations, mineral stockpiles, captured ships, shipyards, and any tech/exploration data they might have. If you just smash and burn everything they have, you'll lose a lot of that. My favored approach is to crush their military fleet, use small missiles to bombard any large concentrations of ground forces they might have, and then land several divisions of my own on their homeworld.

Once you've forced them to surrender, everything they have becomes yours. Everything, including all of their people. Thus, it is virtually pointless to maintain peace for non-RP reasons, necessary to conquer, and highly profitable to enslave and eventually assimilate their population with minimal casualties.

As for the ships, just post the designs here.  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: August 19, 2013, 01:57:47 pm »

It's sort of sad, but that really is the only way to deal with NPRs. Just bomb them into submission and oppress oppress oppress until they've completely integrated into your social order.

Could you elaborate? I'm building a mental feature list and i was unaware of this.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned newbs crowdsourcing designs to learn the ropes. I'd like to take you up on that.

As for the ships, just post the designs here.  :)

No you :P.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: August 19, 2013, 02:56:35 pm »

Since they moved away from earth i went ahead and hit the ones over Mars.

I dropped about 80 of the 1000 ton ships (Total of 171 before attack) before they fired back... at Mars itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right... well time to mop up the rest of them...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

Yeah, they aren't shy about doing stuff like that either. In a few instances, I think they've been known to nuke their own planets if you've landed hostile troops on them.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:47 pm »

Jeez. The Red Planet ain't just red with dust anymore :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: August 19, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »

I was moving the infrastructure and terraforming stations off actually because mars had been terraformed by this point.

Sadly its all gone, along with everyone that used to live there.

Regardless of what the message said, it was a tad shy of 600 million people at that point, it was a such a rich mining planet. Actually, now that i look around it was my only source of Boronide (3.5mil pile with 0.7 accessibility).

Welp...

Time for automatic mines to be sent in soon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: August 19, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »

And this is why you hit them as soon as practical.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:55 pm »

So, what makes good ship design?
I think that whenever I try making a military anything it just ends up bogged down with too many different components and is horrifically inefficient. Mostly I think it's the many many sensors I try to get on them and the fact my weapons tech is perpetually shit, because I'm not entirely sure what I should be going for in terms of sensors for different things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: August 19, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »

Apparently, Carriers and Super Specialized Ships are the winners currently.

I tend to have a dedicated sensor ship, and then fighting ships, and then tankers and colliers.

That's about it though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: August 19, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what I should be going for in terms of sensors for different things.

A resolution 1 sensor with a range (for the minimum size contact) of 2 or 3 million kilometers will let you intercept most missile shooting foes. If you have AMMs that reach farther or a high Tracking Bonus tech then it's worth extending that.
A resolution 16 sensor with a range that matches the range of your antiship missiles will let you shoot just about any hostile ship in the game.
For system-wide scanning or monitoring, you'll probably want higher resolution sensors.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: August 19, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »

My ships are performing well above.

Granted i have fantastic engine tech, but the same idea applies.

My major flaw is the fact that so many of my ships are PD light that i have to have dedicated PD ships with the group to protect them.

Otherwise i tore through the 172 ships that just destroyed Mars (They literally did it about 30 seconds after war started, so was hard to stop, so careful when you war an NPR that has large stacks on a colony) in about two minutes of game time with 33x Crossbows, 8x Scimitars, 4x Clairvaux, and 2x Celtic Rains of the ship classes i have listed in the spoilers several posts back. The fact that i have a high reloading speed on the PD launchers (size 1, fires every 5 seconds) lets me shoot down incoming missiles quickly. Just couldn't not stop the enemy missiles as they were directly over Mars.

So pretty much specialize for the smaller ships. You can afford to branch out a little more with bigger ships but still try to keep your ships role in mind.

--

You know this might be one of the funner games i had. Don't think Ive ever had a NPR gather so many ships in SOL before, let alone actually take out a colony, much fun is being had.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: August 19, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »

Sometimes I get lucky and there's a friendly NPR that doesn't expand much and likes to give me free technology.  They aren't always worth destroying.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: August 19, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »

If they can give you technology in peaceful trade, they can give you even more when you pillage their research institutions and brainwash their scientists.

3. Run Resize Enable

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »

I've downloaded resize enable and i cant get it to consistently work, and when it does by not by knowing volition.. It also seems to be buggy on at least one game window when combined with reduced size parameters.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1347