Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814148 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13755 on: August 04, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »

You will eventually have to add so much of it that it goes over how much pressure your race can live under. Of course, that will take a lot of heating but eventually it will get there, right?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »

Actually, no. I don't think so. Turns out, just testing, with a higher base temperature, the negative temperature Anti-greenhouse can cause actually goes UP at a certain amount of anti-greenhouse gas, so heating will actually COOL DOWN THE PLANET at that point.

Example: Mercury with 3 Anti is at -1463 degrees C. The moon Leda with 3 Anti is at -485.5 degrees C.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:07:56 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13757 on: August 05, 2013, 03:52:49 am »

E2: I am probably being stupid, but I thought a cooling star would get -you know- cooler.
Luminosity is up to 1.3 by year 2050, Earth is up to a base temp of 5.5C, from -12.1C. Hardly a cataclysmic rate of heating, but I suppose it would get dangerous at some point.

You may have selected the 1% warmer per year disaster by accident or Steve may have accidentally flipped the change direction at some point. I know that the cooling used to work as I ran a game with it back around version 5.

If I recall, it takes around 100 years for a warming sun to reach a point at which it starts affecting habitability for Earth. You can hold it off for a fair while using anti-greenhouse gas, but it will eventually overwhelm that.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:56 pm »

I'm trying my hand at a conventional start. I'm having far more fun, even though I've got nothing but a "Gaia I" geo-surv vessel. I'm up to nuclear-pulse engines for my "Gaia II" design and am designing my first real ships now. Unfortunately I have no clue what's a good resolution for my EM/Thermal sensors, nor anything else really. For reference, I've only got basic Tier-1 techs.

I began in 2030, its almost the end of 2040 and I won't have Jump tech for a few years still. A slow start with 10 labs.

I started with 1 billion (1,000 million) pop, put 800 CI into construction factories, 500 into mines, 100 fuel refineries, 100 ordnance factories, and I've still got 500 CI left over.

Just wondering if this is a standard timeframe for conventional start-up or if I'm doing something wrong. I've researched 240 research to give an extra push in all future techs, and should be researching jump tech next. I'm a bit dumbfounded trying to design my first anti-ship missiles and their engines, not to mention sensors all around. I'm a quick learner so if anyone would mind giving me a basic breakdown I'd very much appreciate it. :D
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »

I would put 300 more into mines, 100 into fuel, and 50 into fighters.

Don't bother designing missiles yet; you don't have good enough technology for it to be effective. Wait til you have at least ion-drives, at least.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »

Alright, following your suggestions at once. Unless I get the shit end of the stick and have a hostile NPR one warp out from Sol, I shouldn't need an armada until I start breaching warp points, which I haven't even discovered yet.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: August 07, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »

I suggest converting at least half of your home system resources into mines (later - automines), construction factories and labs ASAP in this order of priority. Also make a few more academies - getting more scientists is much better than at the initial hiring rate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13762 on: August 08, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

I kind of wish that there was a "curriculum" control that allowed you to train more researchers and fewer ground military commanders.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: August 08, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »

That would be great. I usually end up spam-creating a ton of new officers at game start just so I don't end up stuck with a couple 5-0% Biology researchers for a decade.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:07 pm »

I generally just build a shitton of academies and go by the law of great numbers. :P

On another note, do civilian vessels need leave of shore?

And on yet another note, damn, is there any way to develop civilian engines smaller than 25 size?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: August 09, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »

And on yet another note, damn, is there any way to develop civilian engines smaller than 25 size?

No, being large is one of the requirements for a civilian engine.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13766 on: August 09, 2013, 08:42:14 pm »

On another note, do civilian vessels need leave of shore?
In general, no. The only real exception is for commercial geosurvey ships, which will suffer longer and longer times to survey planets if you don't keep their shore-leave up to date.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: August 12, 2013, 12:45:11 pm »

What do emergency cryogenic transports do?  Can I use them to give me more time to rescue the crews of wrecked ships?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »

What do emergency cryogenic transports do?  Can I use them to give me more time to rescue the crews of wrecked ships?

I think so, but they're mainly for storing those you pick up from wrecked ships so you don't overwhelm the ship's life support systems.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13769 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:14 pm »

They don't give you more time, but they do allow you to pick up survivors without it causing problems for your ship due to overcrowding.

Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1347