Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814262 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13710 on: July 16, 2013, 08:19:34 am »

ALright so I finally got Aurora started and DLed Resize Enable. Can anyone here help me on getting started as the tutorials on the forums don't seem to help much with my 'Tl;dr' syndrome after number 5. I will, of course, read them if that's the only way, but if you guys could help with other things(Mainly ship building) That'd be great
Ask specific questions. Saying "Help me with Aurora" will just get you silence because there is way too much there for us to guess what you need.

Aurora isn't a tl;dr type of game.

This, so much. We're always ready to answer questions, but without anything specific there's not much to be done.

As far as videos go, the last decent ones I recall were the tutorials Lavender made for 5.6. Here's the first one. They're obviously a bit dated (especially in regards to engine mechanics), but it's also an option for those of you who can't be arsed to read the (even more horribly incomplete and outdated) tutorials on the Aurora forums.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:56 pm »

I don't have MS Access.  Does anyone have an idea of how to edit the database?  I tried with open office but I couldn't get that to work for some reason.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: July 16, 2013, 01:09:32 pm »

I'm not sure, there doesn't appear to be any free programs out there to work with an access database. You'd also need to PM Steve to get the password to the database - I do know that it's password protected.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:42 pm »

I'm planning on doing a tolkien-ized campaign. Is there a way to make a custom solar system? I feel that generating solar systems until one is good enough won't be very efficient...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13714 on: July 16, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »

Nothing easy. You need to modify the database, which is really, really difficult.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: July 16, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

I don't have MS Access.  Does anyone have an idea of how to edit the database?  I tried with open office but I couldn't get that to work for some reason.
MDBPlus is what I use for editing the database.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »

I have to thank you guys, for finally breaking my DF addiction.  Oh, but now I'm hooked on Aurora...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: July 22, 2013, 10:42:42 am »

So...I am still playing 5.6 for an AAR.
And now I wonder: Can I load FACs into the hangar to rearm them while their missiles are still in space? Or will the missiles just explode as soon as the controlling firecontrol is inside a carrier.
(the problem is, I need as much firepower as possible within as little time as possible, so I use boxlauners [size 20, they are for extreme range MIRV drones, I don't have the ingame time to build a proper ship to bring normal launchers to the frontlines]. As the missiles might take 400min to reach their targets, I'd like to know if the firecontrol is needed in space, or just undamaged.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »

That... is actually a really interesting question. Hm. It's a bit late for me to whip up a test game (at least with work tomorrow morning), so I'm tempted to say that you should just wing it. After all, nothing is more dull to read about in an AAR than a string of bland, by-the-book victories.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »

So I'm doing the Alpha Centauri Fleet Challenge, and my two fleet submissions are boarding and sniper. For the sniper one, my ships are all 4000 tons, and go 6000 km/s. But, I have about 2500 RP leftover when I finish doing my thing, and if I leave off ECM(since right now it only fits on my missile boat), I'll have another 10,000. Should I leave get slightly larger sensors and get a slightly larger range(meaning almost 20% more), by increasing my ships to 4500? Will ECM level 1 be worth it?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:55 am »

If you're going for speed and range for your snipers then i say go with it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: July 23, 2013, 06:34:57 am »

That... is actually a really interesting question. Hm. It's a bit late for me to whip up a test game (at least with work tomorrow morning), so I'm tempted to say that you should just wing it. After all, nothing is more dull to read about in an AAR than a string of bland, by-the-book victories.  :P

I tested it now (didn't occur to me before to just start a new game and spacemaster my stuff :D). It works, at least when you shoot at a waypoint. The funniest thing: I didn't use boxlaunchers in my "just an engine, missiles, launcher, and a firecontrol" test FAC, and not only the missiles kept on going, but the FAC even kept on firing while in the mothership :D

The battle will be the finale battle (or rather, it will be the final war, as I have no idea where about 100 21kt ships and assorted smaller ones are), and the enemy fleet is way bigger than ours. Those FACs that are going to carry the size 20 launcher are made only to bring those missiles to the battlefield. I won't have many of these missiles anyway. So I am fine with shooting, returning to the hangar for the 2 1/2 hour reloading and then going out again instead of shooting, waiting 6h for the missiles to arrive and then reloading for 2 1/2 hours. I will have to see how many of the FACs I can crank out in 6 months, the shipyard only just finished, so it only has one slipway anyway.
The enemy fleet is way bigger than mine and I have never fought an NPR before.

Of course, I will not use the fact that they keep on shooting while in the carrier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:02:13 am by Rince Wind »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13722 on: July 23, 2013, 07:49:37 am »

I seem to recall that firing from within bug being brought up before over on the aurora forums so I think it has been fixed for the current versions.

The question is if missiles will continue to adjust their course towards their target when the launching ship enters the carrier for reloading or if it acts in the same way as loosing firecontrol tracking normally does, ie the missile continues to the last tracked position of the target then attempts to detect targets with it's onboard sensors.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:04 am »

Ah, good to know. So my test was flawed, because the setup was too simple. :D
So I will just let them fly beside my fleet. Even though they'll slow it down (my readers voted for more dakka instead of proper engines, so it will have a fighter engine)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

I ]i]think[/i] that they should still track, because mechanically speaking the FACs haven't gone anywhere. As long as the carriers stay inside of the FC range, anyhow.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1347