Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814316 times)

lkjggfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13680 on: July 04, 2013, 09:59:56 pm »

Sorry to bump this but I have a few questions;

A) Is it still updated? I looked at the forum and it looks almost dead
B) Are there any recent tutorials?
C) Is it worth the time it takes to learn it to play it?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »

Sorry to bump this but I have a few questions;

A) Is it still updated? I looked at the forum and it looks almost dead
B) Are there any recent tutorials?
C) Is it worth the time it takes to learn it to play it?

A) Yup.  Updates are sporadic and random, but do happen.  Because the developer isn't usually very responsive on their forum, it's activity is low.
B) Not really recent, per se, but still relevant.  See the wiki and there should also be some youtube videos.  After that, fiddle around and ask around here.
C) Definitely worth learning how to play, if you like sandbox-type games.  It might take a few attempts before you understand enough to feel it's worth your while: I know that it took me a few tries before I finally got into it, but once I figured out the basics, I've found it to be very rewarding (especially ship design, which goes down to the components which you can custom-make).

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:02 pm »

I don't get it. How do I make my sensors resolution 0? It only goes down to 1.

Also, for my anti-missile missiles to work, does Warhead have to be at least 1? Because I would need a .5 warhead then...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: July 05, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

I don't get it. How do I make my sensors resolution 0? It only goes down to 1.
You don't? I've no idea why you think resolution should be able to go down to zero. Resolution is how small the things the sensor can pick up reliably are, if it had 0 resolution then it'd be infinitely precise.

Also, for my anti-missile missiles to work, does Warhead have to be at least 1? Because I would need a .5 warhead then...
Yes. Research better warhead tech and you'll need to spend less space on it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: July 05, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »

It said to use zero resolution for point defense. I figured it out though, 50 tons is nicknamed zero resolution. So that solves that.

On another note; what's a good range to make my sensors? My missiles tend to have by far longer range than my sensors do, from what I've tried.

Also, when is it a decent idea to get railguns? From what I've seen, specializing in anything but missiles at the start is a good way to not have good stuff.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: July 06, 2013, 01:45:38 am »

Your sensors should minimum be long ranged enough to pick up anything you want to shoot at.
If you have 60 million kilometer range missiles your fire control should be minimum 60 million kilometers, and you'll need something in your fleet with a sensor capable of picking up your intended target at least 60 million kilometers away.
Say you have designed a 4000 ton destroyer with those 60 million click missiles, you might want sensors with resolution 80 and 60 million kilometer range, so they'll pick up similar sized vessels.
However those sensors would take up a significant amount of space, and have significantly reduced range against anything smaller than 4000 tons.
The best bet is a dedicated sensor ship, make task groups of 3-4 destroyers with perhaps a reduced range and resolution sensor to save space, but allow some redundancy against smaller opponants that would be the ideal target for destroyers, and then one sensor ship with a greater than 60 million range sensor, perhaps resolution 60 or 40.
I personally like to put a resolution 1 sensor with 1-6 million kilometer range on every vessel, to allow better point defence coverage and allow some backup against total blindness in the case of the sensor ships being wiped out.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: July 06, 2013, 03:51:21 am »

Also, when is it a decent idea to get railguns? From what I've seen, specializing in anything but missiles at the start is a good way to not have good stuff.

Railguns can't be turreted, so they make lousy point defense until you get the better engine techs.  And early game, you'll mainly want missiles and point defense.  So I'd advise against railguns in the early game.

Realistically, you'll want lasers and/or gauss.  Maybe a bit of both.

Don't get me wrong, railguns are far from useless.  Once you research smaller systems (fuel storage, engineering, etc), they make decent fighter armaments, and use different mineral types than other weapon systems.  Depending on what your galaxy gives you, that may or may not be important.  But to start, I'd suggest laser or gauss.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:57 am »

Blah

Actually, you may want to give your missiles more range to shoot enemies running away. If your sensor is 40m km, your missiles do 20.000 km/s and you're targeting an enemy fleeing at 4000 km/s, Your missiles will need 2500 s and 50m km to fill the gap.

Given the ease of manufacturing various missile variant, you may want to pack your ships with both long-, mid- and short-range missiles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: July 10, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »

What can I do with POWs? I've got a bunch, and it says that interrogations were carried, from which I got some info, but what now? Do they just sit in my colonies?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: July 10, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »

I think so. Not much you can do with them, though I wonder if PoW can be traded or something.
WHAT DOES FIGHTER COMBAT BONUS DO?

Oh my god I can't figure out no matter how much google I use. It's so frustrating! Do I put the guy on the fighter or the carrier?!? ARGH
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54:33 pm »

Somewhat shaky here, but IIRC the fighter ops skill is used by carrier commanders for things like rearm/refuel/repair times.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MadeOfStarDust

• Bay Watcher
  • Alone on the surface of an alien world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: July 10, 2013, 10:15:09 pm »

Do all NPRs start as Trans-Newtonian empires, or can they spawn as conventional empires?
Also, is it possible to create a computer-controlled conventional race using the SpaceMaster Mode?
Also...
Why is there a flaming headless zombie version of you in our moat?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: July 10, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »

In a sense, yes. Some NPRs spawn with large populations but no ships or substantial industrial base. They tend to have a massive amount of conventional ground forces and little else, and are prime targets for enslavement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: July 10, 2013, 10:35:20 pm »

Fighter combat bonus increases the hit chance for fighter weapons, so you can design far smaller fighters with much lower hit chance beam weapons as long as you use good fighter combat bonus officers.
From how I've seen other people using them the ship an officer is assigned to will get 100% of the fighter bonus, I'm pretty sure that just like other bonuses the sector or task force commander would also pass along his fighter bonus to the rest of the fleet.
However note that Fighter combat bonus is currently bugged, when experience gain leads to a skill increase fighter combat bonus increases 100 times faster than it should, leading very quickly to >1000% bonuses, it seems that this also causes very high promotion score values and extremely high xp gain for fighter combat officers and ships they're in.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:15 pm »

Do all NPRs start as Trans-Newtonian empires, or can they spawn as conventional empires?
Also, is it possible to create a computer-controlled conventional race using the SpaceMaster Mode?
Conventional tech NPR are completely unable to handle ship design, even after researching Trans Newtonian technology.
See the aurora forums : http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,6242.0.html
Quote from Steve" was surprised to hear that NPRs converted their conventional industry to TN
I've checked the code though and it is in there. At some point I obviously started down the path of conventional NPRs but only partially (and then forgot about it). They still won't be able to cope with other aspects of being a conventional empire though because I never finished coding it. I will probably get back to this at some point though. "

Edit: Oops, double post.
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1347