Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814361 times)

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13650 on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:51 am »

Hey, I am super, super desperate to get into this game, but I have one really bad issue that makes it impossible to even get past the system screen.
I have a large enough monitor (1920x1080) but the text is unreadable due to it being "squashed" into other text. I have searched for a couple hours for a fix but the only things I can find are fixes for smalls screens, not large screens with squashed text.

Will provide a picture if asked.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: June 22, 2013, 04:03:22 am »

So, has this game changed much since say....last year?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13652 on: June 22, 2013, 04:13:29 am »

Hey, I am super, super desperate to get into this game, but I have one really bad issue that makes it impossible to even get past the system screen.
I have a large enough monitor (1920x1080) but the text is unreadable due to it being "squashed" into other text. I have searched for a couple hours for a fix but the only things I can find are fixes for smalls screens, not large screens with squashed text.

Will provide a picture if asked.

That's the same resolution I'm running and I've never seen that problem. Post or link your screenshot.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: June 22, 2013, 04:13:45 am »

So, has this game changed much since say....last year?
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4835.0.html - Changelog. Up to you to decide.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: June 22, 2013, 05:02:42 am »

Gyazo link to first menu

http://gyazo.com/257025004d2e0a4b1c0047a170838712

Gyazo link to the 1899 system map

http://gyazo.com/6a40bdefb976de86fca423f600c47f7a

Yeah, everything is squashed like that.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: June 22, 2013, 06:03:18 am »

Has the game become any more beginner friendly yet?

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: June 22, 2013, 06:09:06 am »

Well, there is a very good tutorial on the aurora forums which I shall link. It covers almost everything in the beginning of 6.21, but I myself haven't actually used it because of my text squash. But as far as I know it is still very spreadsheet-y.

Tutorial: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5954.0.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:13:20 am by MrNuke »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: June 22, 2013, 06:12:30 am »

Well, there is a very good tutorial on the aurora forums which I shall link. It covers almost everything in 6.21, but I myself haven't actually used it because of my text squash. But as far as I know it is still very spreadsheet-y.

Tutorial: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5954.0.html

I'm not adverse to spreadysheet-y games, one of my favourite games is the Football Manager series and that's essentially spreadsheets with graphical overlays!

But that tutorial looks pretty easy to follow, thanks dude - may give it another go today!

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: June 22, 2013, 06:14:42 am »

No problem. Now I just need to find a fix for my text issue.

*Googles issue*

NO NO NO. I HAVE A BIG ENOUGH SCREEN.
*Sigh*
One day I will be happy...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13659 on: June 22, 2013, 06:46:51 am »

Check if your screen is set to display text at a larger size in windows. Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Display. Also on that same screen check under the "set custom text size" on the left.

I just experimented with setting it to 150% and got a very similar result to the images you posted
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:49:50 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: June 22, 2013, 06:50:49 am »

It's a fairly common issue, and while can't quite remember what the problem was, you will certainly find a solution on the Aurora forums, if the above didn't already fix it.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: June 22, 2013, 07:00:47 am »

I checked and my text was already set to 100%...

And if anyone can send me a link to a fix I will sacrifice a virgin in your name.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: June 22, 2013, 07:40:01 am »

As I said, ask for it on the forums. If anyone know, they will ;)

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: June 22, 2013, 07:49:20 am »

The rate at which people reply on those forums is, slow, at best. I want to try every last thing before having to create an account on those forums and waiting it out, really.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1347