Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814359 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13635 on: June 05, 2013, 05:00:15 pm »

Question about secret stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13636 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »

Question about secret stuff:
I haven't used them since before 6.0 rolled around, but there have been several people who have reported bugs with them over on the aurora forum, so they may be currently non-functional.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:48 pm »

I've been unable to design FCs that mesh with them; neither MFCs nor BFCs seem to work.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »

I was able to assign and fire them with a MFC, despite getting an error in the ship design screen. Good to know that my database tampering isn't the cause of the problem, anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:06 pm »

The last time I bothered getting them was a few versions back, to be fair. Too much effort and it irrecoverably fucks your campaign.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:04 pm »

I've discovered an interesting Sensor or display bug, In my newly started game I have decided to set up Small tracking station/missile bases around Uranus's orbital path. They will need Sensors with around 3 Billion Kilometers each to provide adequate coverage, at start I'll just use Deep space tracking stations as they provide good passive detection range, and are upgradable linearly.
I've selected asteroids Asbolus, Crantor and Chariklo which have close to 120 degree seperation around the path and similar orbital peroids, of 63, 77 and 85 years, though eventually after a few decades there will be gaps in coverage, I could easily move the facilities to new nearby asteroids. Each will need 12 deep space tracking stations to provide the coverage I'll need, I should note that merely putting those 36 Tracking stations on Earth would provide double coverage, out to 9 billion Kilometers. Anyway, Using the passive sensor tab on the System Map to check the tracking coverage has shown a few anomalies, Firstly theres an unknown passive sensor radius extending out to 700 billion kilometers for a strength 100 contact (?) and secondly if i put one of the tracking stations around a Uranian moon, no tracking radius shows up on the map at all.
Lastly I'm not sure what the 'signature detection range' option does as my deep space tracking stations don't produce any red radius, whereas all my ships equipped with thermal sensors do, but the wiki says that deep space tracking stations detect electro-magnetic and thermal emissions.
Just a few things causing a little confusion to me, I'm considering setting up a small scenario with an player controlled race to test if a base at a Uranian moon would still produce detection, but for now i'll use Chariklo as it's position is currently a little better than Uranus.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: June 17, 2013, 12:35:55 am »

I can solve one mystery. 'Signature detection range' draws circles around your all your ships. These show the distance at which a hypothetical thermal sensor of the specified strength would detect that ship.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:04 am »

Cool, so that option shows the Thermal emissions from your ships engines?
It would be nice if there was a similar option for EM emissions.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: June 17, 2013, 03:51:48 pm »

Nothing like that feel when you expend your fleets entire nuclear missile supply bombing a planet and they still refuse to surrender even with several heavy assault battalions and a number of assault infantry battalions attacking them.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: June 18, 2013, 01:39:22 am »

I've been looking at my unused Fighter factories and have designed some early game minor support vessels, they should be useful since my shipyards are basically spending the first decade upgrading while my research catches up with the level i want to build my main fleet at.

Tanker:

Maintenence Supply ship

Ordinance Ship

Very low capacity yes, but for supporting Jump point defence bases they're cheap and have a fairly long lifespan, over a few years they'll build up a sizeable stockpile, though once my Beam recharge 3, Microwave focusing 2 and Capacitor recharge rate 3 researches are done I'll use my unused fighter capacity for a makinga  massive stockpile of 500 ton microwave defence satellites.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:46 am »

That is actually a very cool concept - using fighters for maintenence and refueling. Sort of makes me think of single-use plastic cups and napkins, only more awesome and cheaper.
What you could do as well is make a giant base with fuel, ordinance and MSP in it, tow it somewhere strategical, and then have it sit there for ages until it runs out of fuel and get's liberally stripped of all modules and built again.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:31 am »

The 500 Ton tankers have actually came in handy a few times already since I accidentally designed freighters with a mere 5 billion kilometer range, and considering my sensor Posts are 3 billion clicks out from the star I need them to refuel at the sensor post themself. Luckily the sensor posts are reserve fuel dumps being slowly filled by the Tyne mini-tankers ,also twice they have saved my geosurvey ships from being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
And even a single Tyne is easily capable of carrying the entire production of both my 18 module fuel harvesters from Uranus back to earth.
In other news, my Orbital weapons platforms are ready
I figure that microwaves are the best option for jump point defence since anything jumping in will be blinded and have lowered shields, best case scenario would be the fleet jumping in get's all it's firecontrols and sensors knocked out and becomes a sitting duck to whatever my real fleet can bring to bear.
also:
And finally some sensors:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:43:31 am by MarcAFK »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:51 am »

There's only so much a single sat can do, and even if you have 20 of them or something, that's still not gonna do against a big fleet with electronic hardening.
Unless you made a metric shiteton of those, which considering they are fighters, is perfectly normal  :P

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: June 18, 2013, 11:29:01 am »

Might be better off researching box missile launchers and having your semi-immobile defense platforms just be alpha strike missile barrages while their point defenses are down after jumping. Granted, if you can't destroy or cripple every enemy ship you'll probably lose all of them because they're slow and fragile. But given that they're probably empty anyway its not really a huge loss.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »

Yeah, box launcher satellites have worked well for me in the past. Another option is to make a bunch with a single turreted laser. In any case they won't be able to stand up to a mobile force, but that's not what they're intended to do. Though my usual approach is to just drop scores of outdated FACs into massive system defense swarms and use them to soak up the enemy fire.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1347