Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814670 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13560 on: May 08, 2013, 05:11:31 am »

There is no limit for how many times you can expand the civilian economy, although the research costs become prohibitive.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:26 am »

Huh. I guess I'll dedicate my best CP researcher to civilian economy then till he dies or gets replaced by a better one (or until I make a new game).

Edit: With my current economy expand research requiring around 9 years to complete with my best scientist, I can only imagine how long the next ones will take if I can even get there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:19:44 am by Crimson »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:41 am »

Well it doubles each time, so i would guess 18 years.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »

Unless better labs are researched as well.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:30 am »

While I was busy fixing my money problems with economy research for several years, I forgot that I left one naval shipyard to 'Continual Capacity expansion'. It is now 1.05+m in size though I SMed it to 1m. Decided to try towing it to Titan since that will be the base for my marines and navy. However, the shipyard disappeared when it was tugged and released on the freezing moon, causing a lot of errors every increment and somehow messing up the orders of a few of my civilian ships since they started causing interrupts due to failure to load colonists and installations at Earth. Thankfully, both errors fixed itself but the shipyard never came back so I simply SMed another one of the same size.

Since I have the capability to, I decided to design a very expensive and impractical 1000000 ton supercarrier and eventually build one in a few years. It's my most advanced and largest design yet since the first time I started playing Aurora but the research costs for some components like the Jump Drive are a little too big, it alone taking 3 years to research with my best researcher who has a 60% PP research bonus and 55 maximum research facilities, each facility having a research rate of 840 RP. Also, trying to build this thing would cause some shortages with gallicite and duranium so I need to mine a lot more.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:05:05 am by Crimson »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: May 11, 2013, 06:10:51 am »

Make it a mothership - give it enough space to carry ~20 labs, shitload of mines, 50kt worth of minerals, give it a tug so it can get a shipyard with it, equip it with a jumpdrive that can carry a max squadron of 2, slap on 10m cryogenic transports and 5m orbital habitat thing, plus a bay for 200 fighters, some shittons of launchers, PDs and railguns and make it go more than 10,000 km/s.

It's a fucking challenge.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58:56 am »

Have we had a proper Aurora megaproject yet?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: May 11, 2013, 11:41:26 am »

Have we had a proper Aurora megaproject yet?
I tried to build a ship that lauched missiles larger then the biggest dreadnuaghts once, but my game crashed before I could build either a missile or the launcher
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: May 11, 2013, 11:49:58 am »

Do we need a separate thread for this megaproject? For objectives and all?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: May 11, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

Unless you're talking about a thread on the official Aurora forums, I'd say no.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13570 on: May 11, 2013, 01:00:52 pm »

I seem to recall people working on designs for world-ships back in the ancient depths of the thread, and a few people starting games to build one, though I don't recall there ever being any reports of their completion. One problem you run into with truly large ships are overflow errors which can make the game unplayable for practical purposes.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: May 11, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »

I tried one. It resulted in a lot of error.

I wish you more luck than I had xD

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: May 11, 2013, 01:46:33 pm »

What is this attitude? This is B12. They shoved elephants in our faces - we survived that. They made us embark on haunted areas with horse hair killing our dwarves - we endured that. They told us losing is fun - we made it the funnest thing in the universe. They told us we couldn't possibly be enjoying a game where letters display avatars in today's game world - we dwarfed them, made them nobles, and installed magma traps under every floor tile in their quarters.

If it's theoretically possible impossible, we can do it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:41 pm »

Mostly because at around 10m tons you start hitting streams of overflow errors, and ships smaller than that aren't sufficiently large to be called worldships. Hopefully that particular issue will be resolved in Aurora 2.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13574 on: May 11, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »

What is this attitude? This is B12. They shoved elephants in our faces - we survived that. They made us embark on haunted areas with horse hair killing our dwarves - we endured that. They told us losing is fun - we made it the funnest thing in the universe. They told us we couldn't possibly be enjoying a game where letters display avatars in today's game world - we dwarfed them, made them nobles, and installed magma traps under every floor tile in their quarters.

If it's theoretically possible impossible, we can do it.
Its not that we can't do it. The game can't HANDLE it. Aurora simply craps out when you start designing and building truly massive ships. Its been tried many many times. If you want to try again, feel free.

Also the elephant/boatmurdered thing wasn't us.
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1347