Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815116 times)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13440 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »

I just wanted to thank you for your signature. It saved me a lot of time searching for a fix for missing buttons.

Also, I want to setup a scenario in which I colonize another planet but relations break down between Earth and the new colony. Will the spaceMaster engine let me create a separate faction whenever I want using the colony as it is? I have not played with the SM tool much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13441 on: April 18, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

-snip-
Could you share the start before you get started? Sounds like fun.

Also don't put code tags in spoilers. Code tags limit their size automatically.

Here's a download with it.

I made a few more adjustments for balance, the most notable is that starting population is 1m rather than 5m, so you start with a manufacturing workforce deficit. The system as a whole is very nice, both because I use that as a counterweight for a godawful start, and because it fits with the fluff I have in my head. You can, of course, delete the ship for a more difficult start. I probably will as soon as I get my first shitty low-tech FAC produced.

I just wanted to thank you for your signature. It saved me a lot of time searching for a fix for missing buttons.

Also, I want to setup a scenario in which I colonize another planet but relations break down between Earth and the new colony. Will the spaceMaster engine let me create a separate faction whenever I want using the colony as it is? I have not played with the SM tool much.

Glad to be of service. ^.^

Used to be that the only way you could have cohabiting colonies was to create a second player empire with SM mode (yes, it's possible) and run them both yourself. I vaguely recall that that might have been fixed, but I'm not sure. In any case, turn SM mode on, open F9 (the SysInfo window), select the planet in question, and click the "Create Empire" button in the lower right corner, under the SM Functions heading.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Son_of_Orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13442 on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

Ugh. I really want to learn how to play this game, I really do. The detail is incredible. The tutorials on the forum are damn near incomprehensible, save for one new one that seems to have stopped, unfortunately. How do I play this fucking game? D:
Trial and error. No, in all seriousness, I (and I think most/all of us) learned by muddling through things, referencing the tutorials where possible, and bombarding each other with questions. I've said it before: I've been playing Aurora for close to two years and I'm still discovering things I didn't know.
I can back this up.
The best way to learn the menus is to bumble through them over and over until you finally figure out what does what.
Wonderful. Heh, this is gonna take a while.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13443 on: April 18, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »

Finally took out the 200k ton queen after sending out my entire navy. Had an extreme case of overkill when I launched all nukes and salvos of missiles I could against the queen after receiving tons of hits from my railguns. The entire missile salvo totaled around 2000 WH. The Queen got killed at 80...

Oh well. Time to clean up the stragglers.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13444 on: April 19, 2013, 06:54:49 am »

The Queen is dead! Long live the ..erm...

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #13445 on: April 19, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

Is there any way to perform war games within your Empire? I would like to go through the motions of combat without actually destroying each other. Or is that considered "Start Taskforce Training?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13446 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:00 pm »

Yeah, that's considered "Sttart Task Force Training".

If you want to familiarize yourself with the controles, build a target ship (a big ball of armor for exemple) and transfer it to an enemy Empire.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13447 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »

Finally took out the 200k ton queen after sending out my entire navy. Had an extreme case of overkill when I launched all nukes and salvos of missiles I could against the queen after receiving tons of hits from my railguns. The entire missile salvo totaled around 2000 WH. The Queen got killed at 80...

I don't see the problem here. It's a well-known fact that the satisfaction you get from an explosion increases when the size of the explosion increases. The amount of stuff destroyed and the quality and danger of said stuff also matter, but explosion size is the biggest factor.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13448 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:43 pm »

Actually, I was bummed due to the fact that half of the salvo didn't even reach the queen before it got destroyed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13449 on: April 19, 2013, 07:36:10 pm »

Actually, I was bummed due to the fact that half of the salvo didn't even reach the queen before it got destroyed.
You should have ordered your ships to retrieve the missiles.   :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13450 on: April 19, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »

"Captain's orders are to bring the live warheads into the shuttle bay."

"Aren't the missiles' drives still active?"

"No worries old chap, just do as you're told."

:P

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13451 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:33 pm »

Can you do that in game? Then again, I'm not even sure if bringing in live warheads is a great idea.  :P

@ Flying Dice

Now I'm trying to imagine how my ships can even chase my missiles moving at 70k km/s.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:52:41 pm by Crimson »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13452 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »

What once has been so launched cannot be recovered, nor the explosive gift ungiven.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13453 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »

Would have been hard to do anyway if you could. However, it does makes me want to see missiles explode rather than just disappearing when they don't have any targets or when they run out of fuel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13454 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:42 pm »

They do. It's just more controlled destruction of the warhead and less "Lol let's set off undetonated ordinance". Sort of like if landmines were built with a radio-controlled mechanism that could be used to disconnect the trigger element from the explosive charge. At least that's what I've assumed as far as my fluff goes.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1347