Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815387 times)

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13380 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:43 pm »

Database orientation can't be easily fixed without rewriting whole game, but it's not that big problem when using ram disks.

Worked pretty well for me. (unless you get a bug and the database increase up to 60 Go....)
It's just sad ramdisk is so a PITA on Windows, if Aurora worked well on Linux, two command line and you'd be OK.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:12 pm »

Troop transport and boat bay on a cruiser? And only 55 days of fuel for a 72 month deployment time? 400 cryogenic berths?

What in the world?

EDIT: Oh you were trying to recreate a Halcyon light cruiser from Halo, that explains the boat bay and troop capacity (also sort of the cryogenics). Gameplay wise though this is sort of silly.

You could pretty much say the same to all my other ships except probably for my fighters and dropship. :P I used to play practically before but thought it was funner to RP so I decided to start basing my ship designs on ships from other games which resulted in the silliness.

As for the deployment time, I have no excuse. :P

Other than that, my newer gen ships will probably hold the same silly stuff or maybe even more though I'll be sure to decrease the deployment times.

In-game, my navy is still busy training and only a handful have 100% training so its gonna take some time before I can engage the swarm. Also, I got an exploration ship sitting right beside the stable wormhole to check it out but there's nothing at all. I thought invader's were supposed to come out as long as it remained open?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »

In my experience it usually takes some time (or hostile contact) before they send warships. You've probably got survey vessels flitting about the system outside your sensor range. Also, even when they're actively attacking, months can go by between strikes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: April 04, 2013, 10:20:27 pm »

EDIT: Oh you were trying to recreate a Halcyon light cruiser from Halo, that explains the boat bay and troop capacity (also sort of the cryogenics). Gameplay wise though this is sort of silly.

You could pretty much say the same to all my other ships except probably for my fighters and dropship. :P I used to play practically before but thought it was funner to RP so I decided to start basing my ship designs on ships from other games which resulted in the silliness.

I've been contemplating ships based on Star Wars (originally released trilogy).  Emphasis would be on lasers, microwaves, and missiles.  I'd probably use the Empire for my capital ships and the Rebels for my fighters (TIE fighters don't offer a lot of variety).

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:01 am »

If that's the case, how about building a deathstar?  ;D

In-game, managed to finish training my entire navy along with a new batch of of CL's, DDG's and DD's. However, after a 2nd wormhole opened then closed on another new system, my game's constantly being interrupted every 2 hours to 5 days. Somethings probably moving around though it's possibly on another unrelated system. Just to check, I've placed a recon frigate on that system and made him sit near where the wormhole opened (conveniently near a planet) with sensors on though nothing so far.

Its really starting to annoy me but at least not as much as NPR's fighting. I tried SM mode to check the interrupts but nothing's showing up in my events log. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Advice for dealing with the problem?

Edit: I think I've found the cause. Sent another recon frigate to a system filled with wrecks. Discovered a cruiser sized ship moving around the system. Gonna see if I can deal with them before taking on the swarm.

Edit 2: Looks more like that contact is a civilian ship. It's just running away from my fleet. Gonna keep on following for a while.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:06:48 am by Crimson »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: April 06, 2013, 05:31:41 am »

If that's the case, how about building a deathstar?  ;D

Since planet destruction is impossible, I won't be able to replicate the exact functioning of the death star.

Since beam weapons can't penetrate a planet's atmosphere (except maybe mesons), I probably can't replicate the main weapon of the death star.

So that is the negative.  However, the idea of a massive ship armed with a colossal missile launcher, firing rad-boosting warheads the length of a "standard" solar system is definitely intriging.  Sure, I can't actually destroy a planet (although I can destroy a system via SM mode, ruling that if the death star survives for 15 minutes of combat, the system is destroyed), but I can surely irradiate it to the point where nobody can live on it for several decades.  And the other aspects of the death star, a massive battlestation with tons of anti-ship turbolasers and enough shielding to outlast most attackers, can be replicated.

The real question is how to make it more vulnerable to fighters than larger vessels.  Even focusing on larger, slower weapons would simply make it vulnerable to missiles from larger vessels.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: April 06, 2013, 09:48:33 am »

Use CIWS for all the PD. That solves the missile problem while leaving it open to fighters.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: April 06, 2013, 11:05:58 am »

So I encountered two different NPR's. The first one I mentioned before, I encountered the same species and ship class again in a different system and tried to communicate with them. However this time, one of their military ships appeared after a few days which proceeded to blow up my recon frigate though communication was considered impossible with them before that. Sadly, I couldn't get to the lifepod in time though its possible that the enemy got them.

The other NPR was new and neutral so I sent out a small armed fleet of 3 frigates, 2 destroyers, 1 cruiser and 1 fighter transport with an assorted complement of fighters to their system just to check and act as some sort of envoy. The NPR sent out 7 9800 ton ships of three different classes and both they and my fleet sat side by side for a week whilst I was trying to communicate with them... until they suddenly decided to blow up one of my frigates. Suffice to say, there were so much weapons being fired (I have a lot missile launchers per ship) that the game kept experiencing an overflow bug every increment. I destroyed all 7 ships and a 19200 ton ship that appeared out of nowhere though I lost all 3 frigates and 1 destroyer. At least all the leaders survived somehow.

A diplomatic route in my game looks to be impossible right now. Maybe I should just think that all the aliens I encounter are members of 'The Covenant' except for the swarm (Flood), precursors (Forerunners), and invaders (Precursors ?).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: April 06, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »

Having ships in a system which a neutral NPR considers to be its territory will steadily degrade relations with it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:07 pm »

Having ships in a system which a neutral NPR considers to be its territory will steadily degrade relations with it.

Never knew that. Then again, I used to just destroy every NPR I encountered in my pre 6.00+ games. Still, thanks for telling.

Edit 1: After my fleet finished regrouping in Sol, I decided to deal with the Swarm. Sent my recon frigate first and thankfully they weren't near the jump point. Spotted the queen on a distant planet along with some 5000 ton ships near it. Not sure what those are.

After sending my 3 main fleets, I decided to slowly approach the queen. Then a frigate blew up in my last and smaller fleet which was behind the rest. Turns out the little insects managed to get through the sensors of my recon frigate. Around 150 of them in fact. The fleet quickly got annihilated in turn for destroying 3 of the little buggers only. This might end badly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:19:14 pm by Crimson »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: April 07, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »

Use CIWS for all the PD. That solves the missile problem while leaving it open to fighters.

However, I do want the Death Star to fall to missiles, just not those fired by capital ships.

The fix, as I see it, twofold: 1) Make missiles extremely short-ranged, but fast and powerful.  2) Only give missiles to fighters and gunboats (to replicate the Millenium Falcon, et al).

Sure, aliens will tear up my death star and capital ships, but standard Star Wars vessels seem to do poorly against such foes anyways.  As long as my fleet is internally consistent, I've got no problems.

I might develop CIWS and missile-tracking fire controls that won't work against the "Star Wars" weapons, due to the speed of the missiles.  I'm also making the compromise of photon torpedoes being missiles, as otherwise I need to have invaders on and take them out prior to setting up my fleet.

I'm also going to rename the ground units to match Star Wars.  Here is my Conversion Chart:
Mobile Infantry -> Imperial Army w/AT-STs
Assault Infantry -> Imperial Army w/Speeders
Heavy Assault Battalion -> Imperial Army w/AT-AT support
Marine Company -> Stormtrooper Company
Marine Battalion -> Stormtrooper Battalion
Garrison Battalion -> Imperial Army

My rational is spoilered and based mostly on the West End Roleplaying game, and some experience with Star Wars Battlefronts I & II.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm open to ideas, if anyone has them.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: April 07, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »

In some of the Star Wars books set after the movies, Republic fighter squadrons use mass torpedo attacks against the dome on the top of capital ships that generate their shields. Capital ships are armed with things called 'turbolasers' that are mostly designed as anti-capital weapons, but that will vaporize a fighter through it's own shields if targeted manually, if that fighter had them. If I remember correctly they didn't have a fire control system capable of tracking small, fast targets on the big turbolasers so they stuck people into the turrets on capital ships to complement and they did better than computers against fighters somehow.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:29:28 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: April 07, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »

In some of the Star Wars books set after the movies, Republic fighter squadrons use mass torpedo attacks against the dome on the top of capital ships that generate their shields. Capital ships are armed with things called 'turbolasers' that are mostly designed as anti-capital ships, but that will vaporize a fighter through it's own shields, if that fighter had them.
This also happened in Return of the Jedi, as seen here.

(please excuse the horrendous quality. It was pretty much the best one I could find :P )
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: April 09, 2013, 11:28:09 pm »

In some of the Star Wars books set after the movies, Republic fighter squadrons use mass torpedo attacks against the dome on the top of capital ships that generate their shields. Capital ships are armed with things called 'turbolasers' that are mostly designed as anti-capital ships, but that will vaporize a fighter through it's own shields, if that fighter had them.
This also happened in Return of the Jedi, as seen here.

(please excuse the horrendous quality. It was pretty much the best one I could find :P )

Ah yeah, the ramming by the A-Wing.

I figure that ramping up the armor on capital ships, having equal shield strength on the capital ships, never researching beyond level one missile control, and only weakly armoring fighters should have the desired effects.

Strong shields on capital ships means the lasers on fighters won't tend to penetrate.  Since missiles bypass shields in both Star Wars and Aurora, they won't be affected by this.

Strong armor will mean that fighters can take down capital ships with sustained fire, but only if either:
1) The shields get knocked out.  The next update will make this easier, as high-damage weapons have a percentage chance of doing internal damage to a ship (concussion damage could take out any ship system, including the shields).
2) Repeated missile hits in the same area.  I've also read of capital ships in the Star Wars universe getting destroyed by missile weapons hitting weak points in the hull, which is similar.

I'm thinking of the following ratios for the Empire-Era:
Capital ships have twice the armor of Photon Torpedo warheads.
Capital ships have equal armor and shields.

I'll probably make the capital ships weaker during the Republic era.

I'm thinking of three eras:
Old Republic at peace
Republic at war (Clone Wars era)
Galactic Empire

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:54 am »

Missiles don't bypass shields in Aurora. For that matter, I'm not sure they do in Star Wars either (at least, my experience playing Tie Fighter says they don't).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1347