Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815193 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13365 on: April 01, 2013, 11:31:40 pm »

Sure, it'll also be possible to travel FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS in time!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: April 02, 2013, 12:35:07 am »

Aurora 2

WHAT!? HOW!? WHEN!?

After Half Life Episode 3, I'm guessing.

The first mentions of Aurora 2 on the main board go back to 2010, but there's been very little said on the matter over the last year or so.  Steve's got a day job, so not a lot of time for recreational code noodling.

He's apparently mostly switched over from updating Aurora to working on Aurora 2. Notable features include a new (Honor Harrington-style, presumably, given the travel mode and exit parameters) FTL system, Ronin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: April 02, 2013, 01:28:50 am »

I think I remember him mentioning proper newtonian physis too.  And it's being programmed in some different language. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:56 am »

Yah, but don't hold your breath. He's still working on the next patch for regular Aurora, and an Aurora 2 is probably years down the line. You might have more luck with the fan-created Pulsar 4x, though that also is going to be in development for some time.

Crabnumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: April 02, 2013, 05:18:28 am »

Whats this Pulsar 4x?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: April 02, 2013, 06:53:51 am »

Check the Aurora forums, there's a sub-forum for Pulsar 4x. The short form is it's a recreation of Aurora/Aurora 2 that Steve gave his blessing to after enough people bugged him long enough about wanting to work on Aurora as well. It's currently well before Alpha, so while you can read some ideas and see some early screenshots, there's absolutely nothing playable yet.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:33 pm »

Hey guys. For the first time, I got a note that a stable wormhole opened up in one of the systems I previously explored. It also gave me a missing component error. Is that normal?

As for that system, I've only got a Jump gate construction ship there so I can't see anything myself. The system is two jumps away from Sol so it should be safe but I'm still a little worried since there's a large swarm fleet which I accidentally fed with a 150k ton jump gate construction ship and 2 6000 ton exploration ships. They're in different system just a jump away from a small colony and another jump away from sol. I've got a small but decently armed sized fleet (1 heavy cruiser, 2 fighter transports, 5 light cruisers, 7 missile destroyers, 4 destroyers, 16 frigates and a multitude of missile equipped gauss fighters and a few railgun equipped ones) though they're still undergoing task force training and 1/3 are like below 50% in training. Once most of my ships are trained, I'm planning to lure the swarm through the jump point and prepare a trap of some sort. There's no jump gate built yet in the system the swarm is in so is that plan possible?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:30 pm »

IIRC not all Queens can jump. It would also depend heavily on your TL and what your ship designs look like. Fast, unarmored, E/KW-heavy ships are the best solution for dealing with Swarm; if you can outrun the Soldiers (or at least come very close to matching their speed) while thinning them out with lasers or railguns that will leave you free to do the same to the Queen(s). Missiles tend to be wasteful against Queens because of their thick, fast-charging shields, and of course armor and shields of your own are useless. Of course with a wormhole open near Sol the Swarm are the least of your problems, but I'll leave you to stumble across that on your own.  :P

e: I think I've been watching too many Super Robot shows. My next campaign is going to be another "last colony" scenario with ~1m population, minimal industry, near-conventional tech, and a mineral-rich system with many terraformable worlds... with a single small, very high-tech warship.  :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:57:15 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:00 am »

Wew. Got a good scare just now. Upon opening Aurora, I was greeted with some sort of database error followed by tons of Error 91 before promptly crashing after managing to get through all of that errors. It ran fine after opening it up again.

Most of my research is focused on PP so I'm actually up to Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drives with Inertial Confinement Fusion Drives coming around 3 to 4 years in game. My military ships though were built when I still had Magneto-plasma Drives so they're not as fast as they could be. The rest of my technology other than Construction and Logistics is behind by around a decade or so.

As for the ship designs, I've been basing the design on UNSC ships from Halo so my ships only use armor while equipped with several missile launchers and around one or two railguns at least.

Like this. Component names are not very informative.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No EW Sensors researched yet for RP purposes (although I didn't know that they're actually used for detecting Active Sensors till I checked the wiki). Probably gonna use it after managing to deal with the Swarm (if my fleet survives) for my 2nd gen ships.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:49:55 am by Crimson »

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: April 04, 2013, 05:04:31 am »

What I hate about aurora?
Steve implements a lot of new things, but don't eliminate simple, gamebreaking and very old bugs (like non-aggression of invaders with swarm and precursors, but they still cause interrupts on sensor checks). That makes game unplayable if you don't know password for database.
AI could use rule-based ship design system (allowing them to build larger ships), not just building swarms of small, predesigned ships.
Database orientation can't be easily fixed without rewriting whole game, but it's not that big problem when using ram disks.
Energy weapons are usuless with exception of very few situations (and still needs higher tech levels).

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: April 04, 2013, 05:58:01 am »

Steve has never made the game with community use in mind. It's entirely a hobby for him, and I doubt he's had many of the problems the rest of us get regularly so he's had no need to fix them.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:07 am »

Not to say it isn't a problem, but... complaining about it will almost certainly get you nowhere, and complaining about it here is absolutely useless. It's rather tiresome seeing the exact same beefs being brought up every few pages for hundreds of pages, if you take my meaning.

@Crimson:

Your missiles are fast enough that, depending on the Soldier count, you could probably thin them out enough. If you do, those CLs can hover in their ideal range (outside the maximum for the Queen's mesons but inside your own damage envelope for the railguns) while you drop them. I don't see any major problems, assuming you handle everything competently and you don't get a nasty surprise on the order of a Queen and her swarm sitting on your JP when you arrive in the system.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #13377 on: April 04, 2013, 10:43:46 am »

Wew. Got a good scare just now. Upon opening Aurora, I was greeted with some sort of database error followed by tons of Error 91 before promptly crashing after managing to get through all of that errors. It ran fine after opening it up again.

Most of my research is focused on PP so I'm actually up to Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drives with Inertial Confinement Fusion Drives coming around 3 to 4 years in game. My military ships though were built when I still had Magneto-plasma Drives so they're not as fast as they could be. The rest of my technology other than Construction and Logistics is behind by around a decade or so.

As for the ship designs, I've been basing the design on UNSC ships from Halo so my ships only use armor while equipped with several missile launchers and around one or two railguns at least.

Like this. Component names are not very informative.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No EW Sensors researched yet for RP purposes (although I didn't know that they're actually used for detecting Active Sensors till I checked the wiki). Probably gonna use it after managing to deal with the Swarm (if my fleet survives) for my 2nd gen ships.

Troop transport and boat bay on a cruiser? And only 55 days of fuel for a 72 month deployment time? 400 cryogenic berths?

What in the world?

EDIT: Oh you were trying to recreate a Halcyon light cruiser from Halo, that explains the boat bay and troop capacity (also sort of the cryogenics). Gameplay wise though this is sort of silly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:45:41 am by Cockyy »
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: April 04, 2013, 10:45:30 am »

is m km mean millions of kilometers?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile