Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815292 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13350 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:38 am »

Are there any good, recent, preferably textual guides to this game? I really want to play this.
Steve seems to think this overview is going well:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5954.msg61414.html

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #13351 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:05 am »

Aurora has taken 10 full minutes to load a 30 day increment since I loaded it up this morning. Have a feeling it's never going to load. Closed it and tried a 5 second increment. Same deal. Played fine all week though.

Does Aurora have a habit of saves not progressing?
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:00 am »

Aurora has taken 10 full minutes to load a 30 day increment since I loaded it up this morning. Have a feeling it's never going to load. Closed it and tried a 5 second increment. Same deal. Played fine all week though.

Does Aurora have a habit of saves not progressing?

When I hit errors like this, I do the same thing you do, and force close and try a short increment, which is usually enough to free it up.
If you have a situation where you can leave it running over an extended period, I'd try it. Otherwise, your next best bet is to start spelunking in the DB.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: April 01, 2013, 09:16:41 am »

Yep. When my games get old enough to start acting like that (and when I hit long patches earlier on), I just run 30 day increments in the background while I surf the internet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:25 am »

I honestly am surprised it's possible to get a game that slow. Worst I've ever got is, say, perhaps half a minute for 30 days? How long do you have to play it to get it that darn slow?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:15 am »

I honestly am surprised it's possible to get a game that slow. Worst I've ever got is, say, perhaps half a minute for 30 days? How long do you have to play it to get it that darn slow?
I can't speak to the above poster's experience, but, as for me... I usually start a game with several NPRs and a conventional start, and turtle in Sol for at least a few decades as I slowly build up a solid solar infrastructure. It's not uncommon for me to start seeing slowdowns from NPRs interactions with the galaxy within that time frame before I even start jump explorations.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:41 am »

It's probably worse for me because I start with multiple high-difficulty (which means lots of ships and no resource crunch) NPRs as well as expanding rapidly myself.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »

I once had a game start out like that.  It took around a day in realtime to move past.  My NPR found another NPR in the next system.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: April 01, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »

Has anyone ever actually had an NPR actually go out of the way to invade them?

I mean i must have had a half-dozen games where i ran into one that was much stronger then me next door, that decided they didn't like me, yet they never came barging into Sol.

Ever.

I have lost colonies, but never had to deal with an attack on my core system.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:06 pm »

I've had the Invaders gank Sol on me, but I don't think I've ever had normal NPR's do it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: April 01, 2013, 09:19:49 pm »

NPRs tend to be fairly sedentary (hopefully this will change with Aurora 2), but Swarm will happily irradiate Earth if they stumble across you. I've also heard of instances of Precursors playing little-lost-robot-terminator-puppy when they observe you using a JP back to Sol.

3. Run Resize Enable

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: April 01, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: April 01, 2013, 10:35:18 pm »

Been in development for more than a year.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »

Aurora 2

WHAT!? HOW!? WHEN!?

After Half Life Episode 3, I'm guessing.

The first mentions of Aurora 2 on the main board go back to 2010, but there's been very little said on the matter over the last year or so.  Steve's got a day job, so not a lot of time for recreational code noodling.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:33 pm »

Will it be fully 3D with customizable everything's and the ability to drop down and pilot any ship in first person? :P
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1347