Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815145 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13290 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:44 pm »

Yeah, the general idea is that missiles outclass everything (their range is typically a couple of orders of magnitude above beam weapons), but their logistics can be a nightmare. If you spend all your ordinance in an engagement, it might take a few years before you're ready to venture out of your system again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:40 pm »

I have the default extra stuff and ran into 2 NPRs next to Sol which led to some conflict a few years in but has been safe for a while now.  It might be time for me to start another game with the new thigns I have learnt from this one anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13292 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »

I keep having my game only do 2 or 4 hour turns and very rarely getting past an entire day.  Not slow just annoying...

Which specials are running in your game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honestly I am starting to wonder if missles are overpowered.

Atleast in the sense that they outclass everything in everyway except ammo amount (but that is only because Aurora doesn't take into account how much energy something like a Particle projection cannon would take).
There's no real wondering for me, they are. The only reason to use E/KW as your primary offensive armament is for RP purposes. Give me TL6 stuff and I can build ships capable of reaching out and touching an alien from >1b km away. The engine changes just made it worse, especially at lower TLs, as E/KW armament has always been about closing the distance without dying to missiles, and lower average velocity doesn't exactly help that.  :-X

That said, if you manage to get E/KW ships into their range of engagement, they're deadly. But the problem, as the Spartans suggested, is with the "if".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13293 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »

It could also be precursor minefields causing the slowdowns. They are being removed in 6.3.

For the missile/beam weapon comparison it essentially boils down to; can the beam ships mount sufficient PD to prevent themselves from taking effective damage(damage to shields that is regenerated before the next impact is not effective) long enough to close to engagement range with the missile ships. If yes then they can simply drain the missile ships stockpile of missiles leaving them defenceless. If not then it comes down to if the beam ships can be produced faster or cheaper than replacing all the missiles it takes to destroy them.

NPR's are really poor at exploiting the limitations inherent in using only missiles, conflict between two player controlled races with one using beams and the other missiles is much more even.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:25 am »

can the beam ships mount sufficient PD to prevent themselves from taking effective damage(damage to shields that is regenerated before the next impact is not effective) long enough to close to engagement range with the missile ships.

To achieve this you either need an advantage in tech or fleet mass (probably tech if you have to be fast enough to catch them), so you'd probably have the same results just building missile ships.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:59 am »

There's no real wondering for me, they are

I only wonder because I know they are the outright best but that doesn't always make something "overpowered". Though if it quite essentially eliminates all other weaponry I guess it is.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:34 am »

yeah, I'm kinda sad about the energy/kinetic weapons being so damn inferior to missiles. then again, my first kill was made with beam weapons. They really do wreck havoc when they get into close range. I'm planning on some Microwave FACs for specifically targetting anything with sensors, but dear lord trying to fit a beam weapon into a fighter is lolsome. I mean a railgun takes up like what, 60% of the fighter total tonnage? :|

Whereas my current fighter-bomber has 5 size 3 box launchers and with my missile tech I can jam all of those with a size 4 WH.
Also I managed to specialize my fighter missile design a tad-- my standard missiles were pretty damn slow (16000km/s) and the new ones are up to about 24,000km/s. It's only got about 35mkm range, but it's good enough.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:05 am »

There's no real wondering for me, they are

I only wonder because I know they are the outright best but that doesn't always make something "overpowered". Though if it quite essentially eliminates all other weaponry I guess it is.

It's less that they render E/KW useless and more that if you want to fight pure missile vessels with pure E/KW ones, you have to use a very specific build type, which isn't really possible in lower TLs, and which rarely if ever is used by NPRs. It's possible to effectively do so, but it's extremely difficult at ~<TL5-6 or if the missile-using faction has equal or better tech. All a missile ship has to do to render an E/KW one useless is be able to outrun it or kill it before it can close the range. E/KW ships can generally do either speed or toughness, and this is even more pronounced with the current engine model.

Missiles in Aurora are sort of like Oddjob in Goldeneye multiplayer. Everyone can use them, and it's possible to win without using them, but it's a pain to do so.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: March 05, 2013, 11:17:57 am »

Actually I find Oddjob to be a liability with good players because of how the autoaiming system works... but that is off topic.

Missiles also seem to be the only weapon that can actually take on FAR supperior opponents.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13299 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

Well, with two major exceptions.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13300 on: March 05, 2013, 11:39:27 am »

What's really fun are 299,000,000 km/s missiles with photon drives. Really, those things shouldn't need warheads...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »

By the time you're at that TL, your warheads are the size of the head of a pin and powerful enough to immolate a small planet, so it's something of a moot point.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: March 06, 2013, 06:07:24 am »

Fighters are also not without problems similar to missiles. Even beam opponents outrange them and can usually down a fighter every 5-10 seconds. To be maximally effective you have to assemble enough fighters to kill all enemy ships in a single point-blank volley. I suspect it would mean that total fighter tonnage would have to be much bigger than the enemy’s.
Spoiler: on invaders (click to show/hide)

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:15 pm »

Here's what I don't get. Why would you bother making a FAC meson ship when you can easily make a decent Meson Fighter? Sure you lose range, but they require less research down the meson tech tree, and you can field them at 400t within 25 years of start (this is actually my current military build for shiggles). Since the damage never scales it just makes more sense to me to double your guns and hope to lose less than 50% of your fleet before you enter range.

Edit: I'd say end game lasers and point defense systems at least close the gap with missile fleets. You need to spend a lot of minerals per engagement and advanced missile tech scales the cost with the damage/power output. And shield tech can help you handle the kiting phase when approaching a missile fleet.

But mid game there's no doubt missile based systems are superior.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:09:20 pm by foarl »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »

Fighters are also not without problems similar to missiles. Even beam opponents outrange them and can usually down a fighter every 5-10 seconds. To be maximally effective you have to assemble enough fighters to kill all enemy ships in a single point-blank volley. I suspect it would mean that total fighter tonnage would have to be much bigger than the enemy’s.
Spoiler: on invaders (click to show/hide)

Or you use missile fighters. Even with ~25m km SRMs, your fighters will usually strike without ever being detected. I rarely/never use E/KW fighters, and then only as a cleanup crew or similar role.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1347