Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815049 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13275 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »

How do you mine a jump point o_O?

Mines are essentially just 2 stage missiles. Design a short range, hard hitting missile, then put one or more of them into a larger "mine" missile that carries sensors to detect hostiles. The mine section does not need to have engines and since one of the recent updates no longer has a time limit that it can be deployed before auto-destructing. The payload missiles may want to have sensors as well so that they can re-target if their original target is taken out by missiles from other mines in the swarm. Deploy them by creating a waypoint where you want the minefield and use the 'fire missile at' command on your minelayer.

Note that every mine that detects the hostile will fire even if that results in a massive overkill, so be prepared to redeploy a new set of mines once the first lot go off. Also note that extensive use of minefields can contribute to slow turn processing as each mine checks for if a contact is detected within it's separation distance.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: March 04, 2013, 04:39:09 am »

Can you configure separation distance? You could create several variant of the same mines with various separation distance and drop them all at a given distance from a JP so that they detonate as the ennemy approach.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13277 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:58 am »

You can, although that can quickly become complicated to keep track of. You can also set up rings or arcs of surrounding waypoints with their own mines to give you successive strikes, but again it becomes complex and can result in game slowdown.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:47 am »

Ah, Explosion mines. Thought you were talking about putting auto-mines on them or something.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:40 am »

Ah, Explosion mines. Thought you were talking about putting auto-mines on them or something.

I'm so sad... there were so many nice tasty jump points close to the inner system too... Of course, you can also create self-deploying mines, which I'm considering right now-- except the launchers would be freaking massive. Maybe I'll stick some missile PDCs with automated mine launchers from now on.
But nah, there's already auto-mines on anything worth mining anyway.

Edit: Ah, quick question -- So far I've been building jumpgates on in sol, then sending a ship through. But that shouldn't mean that NPRs and stuff can jump through to my side right? unless they have a jumpdrive.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:47:57 am by Iosyn »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: March 04, 2013, 07:49:53 am »

I think you only build jumpgates on one side. You can tell that there's a jumpgate on the other side of a jumppoint, but you can't use it without a jumpgate on the other side, or a jumpdrive.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13281 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:54 am »

Indeed, jump-gates are one-way, they allow any ship to jump through from the side with a gate, but you will need a jump-drive or another gate in order to jump back.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:51 am »

Ah... I see-- something tripped me up. While I always create jumpgates on my side (and usually have my standard military support vessels on my side, ready for if there's something on the other side to either move in to support or picket the gate) I forgot jump drives can carry other ships with them as well. I've seen plenty of NPR ship classes, so if even one of them has a jump drive... damn...

oh well, my mines are designed, it's going to take a while to build up my infrastructure though. Severe mineral crunch right now.

Let's pray that there's nothing but minerals in my next few systems.  ::)

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: March 04, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »

Just a little engagement from my friend's game:

Enemy contact, 200k tonnes, Year 2188

720 missiles launched. 708 impacts. Enemy armor not penetrated.

Enemy launched 120 Meson FAC

30 Meson FAC's taken down by Defender class beam destroyer before sensor cluster ships were shot down.

Allied fleet completely lost.

~~~

I warned him the longer he sat the more the enemy would spend developing their own tech xD

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: March 04, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »

Look like spoiler to me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: March 04, 2013, 04:08:39 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »

Honestly I am starting to wonder if missles are overpowered.

Atleast in the sense that they outclass everything in everyway except ammo amount (but that is only because Aurora doesn't take into account how much energy something like a Particle projection cannon would take).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: March 04, 2013, 04:40:20 pm »

Well, consider that at least some beam weapons have a much more penetrating damage profile than missiles and their triangle (if I recall correctly, lasers have a straight line downwards with two squares to the side). In addition, mesons and microwaves mostly ignore any defenses the enemy ships have (if I recall correctly, microwaves are blocked only by shields and mesons by nothing).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: March 04, 2013, 04:41:08 pm »

I keep having my game only do 2 or 4 hour turns and very rarely getting past an entire day.  Not slow just annoying...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »

I keep having my game only do 2 or 4 hour turns and very rarely getting past an entire day.  Not slow just annoying...

Which specials are running in your game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1347