Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815061 times)

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13260 on: March 02, 2013, 12:22:08 pm »

Terraform a world to a mostly oxygen atmosphere-- or perhaps an oxygen/Methane/Nitrogen dioxide mix and then throw in a match.

Better yet just wait until the global warming influences their weather patterns and there's a little thunderstorm-- Boom, Atmospheric Ignition.

It's like homeworld, all over again... Except this time I'm the taiidan...  :-[

Edit: Also guys PDCs don't need bridges right? I can see myself maybe building one with a flag bridge at some point for outpost sector defence but I'm still getting the 'ship needs bridge for 1kt' thing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:43:53 pm by Iosyn »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: March 02, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »

Edit: Also guys PDCs don't need bridges right? I can see myself maybe building one with a flag bridge at some point for outpost sector defence but I'm still getting the 'ship needs bridge for 1kt' thing.
I've got no idea why they wouldn't need one.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: March 02, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »

I've got no idea why they wouldn't need one.

I think the theory is PDCs work like immobile planetside ships, so maybe it's just a leftover tag. I'm kinda sad we can't make orbital PDCs, I'd love that. of course you could make a no-engine ship, but it's just not the same. I'm hoping for orbital sorium mining bases too, instead of just making harvester with a few tugs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »

You still need a command room on the PDC.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: March 02, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »

Being the noob that I am at Aurora what does PDC even stand for? And how do you make them and stations?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »

Being the noob that I am at Aurora what does PDC even stand for? And how do you make them and stations?
Planetary Defense Center. (Or Planetary Defence Centre). They're basically NORAD-esque bunker complexes.

e: And there's a dropdown labelled 'type' in the ship design window. Switch it from "Ship" to "PDC". Stations are, mechanically, just ships without engines, because there isn't a separate set of rules for them (even though that lack is very painful).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:57:37 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13266 on: March 02, 2013, 06:52:45 pm »

Any ship larger than 1000 tons needs a bridge, this includes PDC's. This was done so that fighters and FAC's smaller than this with their small crews could save the tonnage.

Stations are simply engineless ships and are designed and built in exactly the same way as normal ships.

PDC's are designed similarly to ships, however you have to use the dropdown at the top of the class design window and change the type from ship to PDC. This will cause certain components, such as engines or shields, to become unavailable for inclusion on the design and will remove existing ones. Once the design is finished PDC's are built using planetary industry in the same way as installations, and can be selected from the drop down menu on the industry tab.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:00:46 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:00 pm »

...Neutral contact Sol. Goddamn it. I think they detected my jump scout, unless jumping into a new system immediately declares that jump point to the enemy.

30ECM, 1200 thermal, 1200 cross section Estimated 60kt. shield strength 18000-- looks like 600 shield points. 1000km/s.

They've got some pretty huge res sensors-- and shit, they've got anti-missile sensors too!? They didn't have those active when they entered the system...  :o S336/100 and S28/1 respectively.
Also i seem to be dropping contacts though they're in range of my WTFHUGE PDC sensor array. There are five in system and three of them have disappeared, so cloaking tech too?

my fighter wing managed to launch missiles on them (after I figured out to assign the missile to the launcher, doh)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, are these the much rumoured precursors? My jump scout didn't detect any colony emissions on passive, though they were pretty small passive sensors. I've been ingame for... 21 years so far.

So guys, how screwed am I? :D

Edit: Any suggestions? I could start evacuating everything to my colony in alpha centauri while they're still neutral but I wouldn't expect much.
No missile PDCs, only mobile military force is 15 fighter-bombers.

Code: [Select]
YF/2000 IRIS class Fighter-bomber    245 tons     4 Crew     62.6 BP      TCS 4.9  TH 8.4  EM 0
4897 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 2.4
Maint Life 9.89 Years     MSP 16    AFR 4%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 0    5YR 4    Max Repair 25 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 1 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 16   

24E/FTR-TH (1)    Power 24    Fuel Use 163.69%    Signature 8.4    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km   (5 days at full power)

FTR-4 Missile Rails (4)    Missile Size 4    Hangar Reload 30 minutes    MF Reload 5 hours
FTR Missile FCS/Mod45 (1)     Range 8.3m km    Resolution 1
"Viper" - ASM - Mk/1 (4)  Speed: 18,000 km/s   End: 195.7m    Range: 211.4m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 156/93/46

Strike Group
0x YF/2000 IRIS Fighter-bomber   Speed: 4897 km/s    Size: 4.9

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes
Yes, I know the FCS is vastly outranged but it's an outdated missile design anyway and I needed to save space on the FCS :p
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:58:27 pm by Iosyn »

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »

UPDATE:

Four of them just arrived at sol. They haven't launched one missile.
But they just rammed my jump scout ship to death. One point at a time.
That's the only vessel that entered their system.

Double Update-- Well, at least I know what they are now.
Carriers. x18 RoF2 small Meson turrets, they just launched a bunch of meson-armed fighters. :X
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:14:08 pm by Iosyn »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:30 pm »

This is spoiler-ish:

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: March 03, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »

This is spoiler-ish:

Aha. Well, I'm used to dwarf fortress throwing megabeasts at my ill-prepared fortresses so I suppose aurora throwing five of them at me isn't too much different.  ::)
I bloody well knew I shouldn't have encountered something this size so early in the game.  :D

I'm making a slight alteration to standard operating policy from here on out. Until I have a significant military force or Missile PDCs
ALL JUMP POINTS SHALL BE MINED PRIOR TO EXPLORATION. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: March 03, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »

Just wait until they start doing their little radiation dance to Earth.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: March 03, 2013, 05:03:58 pm »

How do you mine a jump point o_O?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: March 03, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »

By putting mines around it?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: March 03, 2013, 06:30:05 pm »

By putting mines around it?
And then planting little flags in all the sections of space that probably have mines in them.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1347